Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilovecats1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 12:59 PM
    How to take fleas off kittens?
    I have a 5-6 week old kitten I do not want my dog and rabbit to catch them What do I Do?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 07:01 PM
    Your best bet is to call your vet (or one in the area) for specific instructions. He'll probably advise you to very carefully wash the kitten in warm water with mild dish soap (be careful of the kitten's ears and eyes). Use a flea comb to comb the kitten's coat, now or later, and dry off the kitten gently (don't allow it to get chilled). You will also have to thoroughly clean, vacuum, and/or launder any blankets, towels, rags, clothes that the kitten has nestled/slept in. Also, clean/vacuum floors and carpets. (We sprayed our carpet with flea spray, then vacuumed it several times.) The vet or vet tech will walk you through this.
    celticfc Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2012, 04:02 PM
    Ask your vet for advice on treating fleas and if you do buy a treatment from the pet shop make sure its suitable for kittens andthat you have enough to treat every animal in the house.remember that if there are fleas on your kitten these fleas are in your home.vaccuem everywhere wash and dust boxes bedding everything they are in contact with reguraly and spray the area around them.use an eviromental spray but however much they want too play with every squirt don't get any on them unless your vet says you can.also make sure you worm them.if they've got fleas they might of got them from the mother so make sure you treat her too.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 05:02 PM
    I am very wary of flea treatments bought from a pet or department store.
    Flea products came in many different formulations and these chemicals can be VERY dangerous to grown cats, much less 6 week old kittens.
    I've seen too many cats come into our clinic having active seizures from these over the counter products, and they can't all be saved. For that matter they really don't work that well.
    Best to stick with the mild dish soap and flea comb method.
    Vacuum well, and either throw out or wash any bedding thoroughly.
    And before you put chemicals into their environment I would run the label by the vets' office to make sure that is safe.
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Mar 14, 2012, 11:36 PM
    I would suggest that you buy a shampoo for dogs & cats that is from brand name "Vet Solutions". Try the "Aloe & Oatmeal Shampoo" with a little bit of "Universal Medicated Shampoo".

What I have done in the past is placed a rag in the sink - kitchen or bathroom - run warm water comfortable to the touch - wet the kitten with running water up to its neck - careful with the ears and eyes - and then use a tiny bit of shampoo of each and lather to the neck. Make sure you do not run the water too much - just enough water to wet the kitten and rinse. The fleas may try and run off -don't panic - just make sure you rinse the kitten very well. Once again make sure you do not use running water on the kitten's face or ears.

I have done this and if there are still fleas - lather again and rinse again. Make sure you have several clean, dry towels to first soak up the water in the hair - and another clean, dry towel to wrap the kitten in to keep her warm.

I used a small blow dryer to dry my cat Pinky - she was a little scared but was so tiny and tired she fell asleep as I dried her. Make sure you move the blow dryer in all directions as the hot air can hurt a cat's skin.

I am glad to say that Pinky was free of fleas. It can be hard work - but done with love and tenderness - your kittens will be just fine.

If you cannot get the shampoo at your vet's - try Ebay or another online store for pets. I have tried several brands on my cats and these shampoos are the best - gentle but effective.

Oh - another thing - make sure you use a damp cloth to clean the face and ears gently. Remember - easy does it and it should work. Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fleas on kittens [ 5 Answers ]

My cousins kittens have fleas, all over them, they just opened there eyes so I'm guessing there like 10-12 days old, and she doesn'T know how to get rid of them. When I noticed them I immediately stopped touching them afraid that I would bring the fleas home to my dog.:eek: And she wasn'T even...

Fleas on Kittens [ 2 Answers ]

My 3 day old kittens have fleas. How do I treat them?

6 kittens. Fleas. [ 2 Answers ]

Our cat had 6 kittens.. (all VERY cute) they are now 6 weeks old and have fleas WHAT CAN I DO are they old enuf to give a flea bath? Can we flea bath the mom and de flea there envornment w.o them getting sick or dying? HELP ASAP

My 2 week. Old kittens have fleas [ 17 Answers ]

My 2 week old kittens have fleas really bad and all the meds say they have to be 12 weeks to use on them. I'm desperate to do something before they end up dying. Can anyone help me. I'm afraid I don't have much time!:(

Kittens and fleas [ 5 Answers ]

I have four kittens that have fleas and I don't know how to get rid of them.:( Can some one help me! Thank you

View more questions Search