Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bendev Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Tax returns for L1 and L2 for less than 180 days
    Hi,

I am from Texas, I came in US on October 1st 2006 with my wife and want to file for the tax returns. As I understand I will get the whole amount I paid as tax since I stayed here only for 3 months in 2006. I have the SSN but my wife doesn't have neither SSN nor ITIN.

1) Can I e-file my tax return?

2) or apply for wife ITIN and wait until I get it and file the return?

3) or Can I file my returns along with my wife's ITIN application? What is the procedure?

Your help on this will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks in Advance.

Bendev
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Bendev:

How long will you be in the U.S. between 2006 and 2007?
    bendev Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 12:21 PM
    I will be in US for the whole 2007. I came in US on Oct1 2006 with my wife(L2) on L1 visa.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 11:19 PM
    1) You CANNOT efile, because if you file jointly with your wife, you need to apply for an ITIN, and that requires the return be mailed. If you file as a non-resident or dual-status alien, neither of those returns can be efiled.

2) When you apply for the ITIN, you file your tax return with the application.

AS to what is the best way to file: depends on your income for 2006.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax returns [ 2 Answers ]

How long must you keep tax returns?

Tax returns [ 1 Answers ]

I am a doctor on J-1(doing my fellowship) from India. I was told that I was exempt from Taxes as long as I am on J-1. Can some one please let me know how long am I exempt from taxes and file for my taxes to be returned back to me?

Query Regarding the Tax Returns [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I came to US (State - Massachusetts) on December 1st 2006 on a H1B visa. Because I got my ssn in January only , I got the salary of December 2006 on Jan 31st. It seems I will not be eligible for the W2 form of year 2006 from my employer, as the December 2006 salary got processed in Jan 2007...

L1 Tax Returns - Necessary? [ 1 Answers ]

What happens if we never file a tax return for the duration of our work visa (3 years)? Is it possible to go back to our home country without any consequence or does the IRS pay special attention to resident aliens? Will the IRS come after us or audit us, or will they more likely allow us to...

Tax returns for H4 dependent [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Atlanta tax Expert, I am on H1B visa and worked for the full 2005 fiscal year. I got married on December 6th 2005 and my wife arrived in the US on 12th January 2006. I am planning to file for my wife's ITIN number along with my Federal Return. My question is - For 2005 tax returns...

View more questions Search