Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joyjoyluvsdave Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 09:41 AM
    Which is better
    I have a wireless laptop and am using ethernet cable will this make my computer slower? Or is wireless router faster?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2012, 09:45 AM
    Wireless is slower if you have a gigabit router and network (1000baseT)... if its 100baseT then it's a wash for which is faster.

Then there are the variables as not all wireless adapters are the same speed... some are much faster than others.

And if all you do is surf the internet... then it doesn't matter because nobody (well, 99.9% anyway) has an internet connection at home that exceeds the bandwidth of even a100baseT adapter in real terms at this point in time. It will matter if you are moving files on a home based file server however.
    caitandems Posts: 4, Reputation: -2

Mar 17, 2012, 12:14 PM
    A wireless router is a lot faster, since you have a wireless computer it shouldn't be that difficult to get set up, but remember the price!;)xox
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2012, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by caitandems View Post
    a wireless router is alot faster,
    This is incorrect. While wireless N connections are faster and steadier, they still don't equal a wired connection for speed and stability.

On the other hand, if you want to be able to just plop down with your laptop anywhere around your house, then feel free to use your wireless connection.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 17, 2012, 07:56 PM
    The best thing about using the cable instead of wireless connection is that of security. That way your not transmitting what your doing to the neighborhood.
    joecoolvette Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2012, 04:53 AM
    A) A wireless connection is about half the speed of a wired connection.

B) Smoothy, You are backwards. Gigabit is faster.

1) Gigabit Ethernet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2) Fast Ethernet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote; " Fast Ethernet was introduced in 1995 and remained the fastest version of Ethernet for three years before being superseded by gigabit Ethernet."

3) IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards,
    joecoolvette
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2012, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joecoolvette View Post
    A) A wireless connection is about half the speed of a wired connection.

B) Smoothy, You are backwards. Gigabit is faster.

1) Gigabit Ethernet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2) Fast Ethernet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote; " Fast Ethernet was introduced in 1995 and remained the fastest version of Ethernet for three years before being superseded by gigabit Ethernet."

3) IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards,
    joecoolvette
    MIght want to read what I said again... wired Gigabit is faster, that's what I run in my house, caitandem is who said it was slower. Wired gigabit is more work but its faster and far more secure. But if you don't have the ability to run wires, or live in a rental property... you may not have much choice.
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joecoolvette View Post
    All I have is answer posts 2 through 6.
    No statement of using wired connection is stated from you.
    I realize I am new here, and don't wish to be in bad form.

Just sayin'.

Regards, joecoolvette
    Well, read close... I never stated wireless was faster that gigabit Ethernet at any point. In fact... I know Ethernet very intimately... including the packet structure. Been dealing with it since before the ORIGINAL 802.3 standard was adopted by the IEEE back in the early 1980's, yes there actually was a before period it actually existed. Before most people knew what personal computers were much less Ethernet.

I was just giving minimal information to avoid confusing the original poster... which asking the question they did they way they did... would not have been difficult to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search