Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    graniterick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Forced air heat
    We just bought this house. There are two heat sources, one for each floor. The unit in the attic is making a funny noise when it fires up. It sounds like coffee percolating or something whistling, along with the normal burn sound. I've never had forced air heat and, being in North Carolina, I don't know if this is a heat pump or a furnace. I do know it is a combo HVAC unit. Anyway, when the kid from the local gas company was installing the propane stove, I had him listen and he said it sounded like the furnace was "lighting into the flue". What is this, is it serious or dangerous and what do I do about it?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Never heard of such a thing. Can't tell you about the noise without hearing it myself. I have on many occasions seen an LP furnace ignite inside the burner tube, it makes an odd whistle sound. It is dangerous and very inefficient if it does this, causes are 1) Wrong LP output pressure to manifold 2) Bad burners 3) Incorrect primary air adjustments.
    graniterick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 05:25 AM
    "lighting inside the burner tube", well, that might be what the kid said. We have a local guy coming out this morning to take a look at it. From what I described to him yesterday afternoon, he said "well, most people just replace the whole unit" which didn't make the wife very happy, she wants to sue the seller. As they've moved out of state, I don't think we'd get very far with that. In NC, they have a clause in their real estate contracts that says if the unit is "working for the purpose intended" it's good to go as far as inspection goes. The thing provides heat but obviously it's not working for the purpose intended if it's doing so in a manner that's dangerous. But that's a matter for our attorney and not relevant to this forum. The neighbor had to have her combo unit replaced and she said it cost her about $1500, which is a whole lot better than what we had to pay in NJ ($6000) for a new furnace. Thanks for your reply and we'll see what the guy says this morning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas forced air heater won't turn heat on [ 6 Answers ]

My honeywell thermostat electric, shows "filter" change light blinking and won't turn on the heater when turned up. The thermostat will 'click' when temp turned up and I can manually turn on the fan but no fire in the heater. The thermostat is 1 year old, filter changed

Forced air heater no heat [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Day and Night (over 16 y/o) gas forced air heater that is blowing cool air only. The Model # is 8OU-19A or 8QU-19A. The igniter/pilot appears to be working fine & when the temp controls are raised the fan comes on but the main burners do not. Where do I start, even if the pilot seems...

Smell from bathroom sink drain and air flow while central forced heat is on [ 1 Answers ]

In the 1st floor slab bathroom, hissing air comes out of the sink drain whenever the central heat comes on. In addition, the air that comes out, of course smelly like sewage. Now, I know I can do the bleach procedure, but what I don't get is why the air is flowing. There is a p trap in place,...

Day & Night forced air heater keeps blowing cold air [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday my heater was working as normal. Today I replaced the filter in my Day & Night forced air heater. Later I bumped my thermostat when walking by it, but I'm not certain that this caused the problem. My heater turned on and blew hot air. I turned it all the way down, but the fan...

Forced air heater [ 1 Answers ]

Blows 3 amp fuse. After fuse blows fan comes on. Ignitor works prior to fuse blowing but no gas. One resistor on board appears to have black mark.

View more questions Search