Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Racelwithnoh Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Do I need a protection order for harassment to be a crime or can I just go to cops?
    Hello again all!
    WA state.
    I have come to realize I am dealing with an actual sociopath here. I have had multiple harassments lodged against me, in print and other proof. I am looking at this now and thinking I have allowed way too many bites for this dog. I can predict if I file for a protection odder she will retaliate again, probably worse. In my state is it necessary to get a protection order or can I simply go straight to the sherriff to report this harassment and is it a crime or is it only a crime if you have broken an exiting protection order? What will happen next?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2012, 01:43 PM
    First you file Police Reports. Those are the basis for the protective order.

Is the Sheriff the only Police Agency in Town?

Yes, ignoring a protective order is a crime. If the Order is ignored the person can immediately be arrested (upon proof) and jailed.
    Racelwithnoh Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 02:33 PM
    Oh, hello again. Thanks! What do you mean a police report? I call the police? I go to the police? I file something somewhere? Sorry I am so dumb! I was under the understanding that a protection order is civil and filed at the courthouse.
    No, thankfully, the other cop (from my last question) is not same as the sherriff.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Racelwithnoh View Post
    ... What do you mean a police report? I call the police? I go to the police? I file something somewhere? ...
    A citizen doesn't "file" a police report. A police officer presumbably files it somewhere in the police department. What you would do is report what you believe to be a crime to a police officer. He or she will interview you and write a report as to what you and others have said. That's all a police report is.

Quote Originally Posted by Racelwithnoh View Post
    ... I was under the understanding that a protection order is civil and filed at the courthouse.
    If you apply at the courthouse for a protection order, and if the judge feels that your application has merit, the judge will issue the order.

I don't believe your antagonist can be ordered not to file lawsuits against you. But if she does so repeatedly, and these cases are ruled to be without merit, she can perhaps be sanctioned (fined) for abuse of process.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2012, 06:29 PM
    To file a police report, you call the police to report a crime, is the harassment that is being done a crime or not ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Massachusetts Harassment Order [ 1 Answers ]

How are harassment/restraining orders served to an individual in the state of Massachusetts?

Order of Protection [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question for whomever knows about orders of protection on this forum. I posted awhile back that a neighbor of mine was beaten up by another neighbor. Since the original beating, this person has violated the order of protection 4 times and has been arrested 4 times. Tomorrow, she...

Harassment order [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! Everyone , What is the difference between a Temporary Restraining Order and a Harassment order. Appreciate the help.

Harassment Order [ 11 Answers ]

My husband and I are living in a rental home. I've asked him to leave but he won't; he basically says that he'll leave when he gets ready; in the meantime I'm in constant fear. I don't qualify the standard Restraining Order against my husband because he hasn't hit me, attacked me or threatened...

View more questions Search