Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solidzane Posts: 111, Reputation: 8

Mar 12, 2012, 08:31 AM
    Are short stories a good idea before writing and publishing a novel?
    Here are my ideas... I AM writing a full fledged novel that I am planning to self publish as an ebook... I've been working on it for some time and it is going to happen...

Last night at work, I suddenly had this idea of writing short stories. Then about writing short stories about my novel characters...

So, the real question is this... Does writing and publishing short stories about characters that will be in a novel, before the novel comes out, sound like a good idea?

My main intention is to introduce my characters on a deeper level. I was reviewing my partial rough draft of the novel and realized that my characters don't have much in the way of a "face"... Lol. I will of course add better descriptions and such before publishing, but I'd also like to have some back-story to them...

Any comments? I'm happy to generally describe the book for anyone interested... :) Thanks in advance.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 12, 2012, 09:04 AM
    Your short story collection would have each story titled with a character's name? Then in the novel, the characters would interact? What would be different about the ss collection so that I would still want to read the novel? Would I have to read the collection before I would understand the novel?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2012, 09:13 AM
    Would I be interested enough in the characters to want to read more (a novel) about them?

Mar 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
    @Judy: That would be my goal, to make the short collection interesting enough to keep a reader's attention for a much longer novel. That interest in the characters would need to be built up in the shorts...

@Wondergirl: The shorts would have proper titles, and maybe something like (Character A series, part 1, 2, 3... ) The shorts would be prequels to the novel. With 2 main character's meeting and interacting in the shorts, and a third that doesn't meet the first 2 until the novel...

I guess the concept is similar to Stephen Hunter's novels... where all of the main character's have their own stories and series of books, and they all combine within other character's novels...

Since I've already been working on the novel and have a good chunk written, no. One would not need to read the shorts to understand what is going on. There may be references to past events in a character's life that might be better spelled out in a short, but it wouldn't be 100% necessary to read the short...

Like Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code" and "Lost Symbol"... DVC references parts of "Angels and Demons" and LS references parts of both A&D and DVC...

The shorts would be small adventures of their own... The genre may or may not be considered adventure, but that's the idea...

And, in case you are wondering... No, I'm not writing the story/ies with a bazillion ellipses. Lol

Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 12, 2012, 11:14 AM
    So, one could read the short stories first or the novel first. It wouldn't matter.

Lee Child is still writing his Jack Reacher series, but has written the short story "Second Son" (Jack as a child) and several short stories featuring Jack as unrelated to the series.

Yes, I vote go for it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2012, 12:11 PM
    I also think it's a good idea.

Mar 21, 2012, 12:28 PM
    I don't know if you would be interested or not. But here is a link to the ebook short story I was talking about. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/142830...

Once again, thanks for the advice and encouragement. It isn't perfect, even after 3 edits and revisions, but it's there. I'll be doing more editing for typos and re-publishing sometime in the near future... Also, story 2 is in the works already.

Thanks again!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 12:46 PM
    What's your take on Smashwords? Are you able to market your books well enough?

P.S. Your link doesn't work.

Mar 21, 2012, 01:21 PM
    Hm... lets try again... https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/142830

Smashwords works great for me so far... It makes the process easy enough, though I'd prefer to format my own way and upload an already good to go .epub file and .mobi file... But their "meatgrinder" does a good enough job as long as I stick to the formatting guidelines. It is of course a middleman and so when the books go out to other retailers for a price, I will get less of the profit, but that really doesn't bug me too much since I'll be getting more than I would have anyway...

I haven't done any real marketing besides Facebook posts and telling friends/family and coworkers. Smashwords posts all newly published ebooks on the front page of the site as long as they have an actual cover of some sort. Then the book goes through an automated and a physical review before being sent out to the major retailers. If the book doesn't meet a certain standard, or if there are formatting problems, then the book will not go out to B&N, Kobo, Apple, etc...

Beyond that, the only tools available to promote the books are price changes or creating coupon codes. My book is currently free. Probably the next one will be as well. Then, after a few weeks or maybe after hitting so many downloads, I'll make them 99 cents...

What I really need to do is set myself up a blog somewhere and start promoting that way. I'd need to get followers from people that read the book onto the blog and have different "sales" or games where I give a coupon code for a review or something. I read that other Indie authors do similar things. They'll give a book for free to 10 people, and if they write a review, good or bad, they get a coupon code to get the second book for free...

I need to sit down and read the marketing guide that Smashwords has on the site for free. Just haven't done that yet...

So, my overall opinion is that Smashwords is a good tool for just getting the work out there quick fast and in a hurry. If an Indie Author wants to make the most money out of their works as they can, then they need to take the time to format their ebook as perfectly as possible, and use something like Calibre to make the actual ebook files. Then they need to go to each retailer and see how their self-publishing system works. It's all about time and effort in the real DIY world. Smashwords is a decent compromise.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 01:40 PM
    I read through the Smashwords style guide twice marketing guide, so found out it's easy enough to do. I read Amazon's self-publishing guide too which seems almost easier for formatting the book. My main concern is that I have deliberate mistakes in dialogue and also lower case where there should be caps, and don't want those "fixed" by any editing system.

Mar 21, 2012, 01:59 PM
    Oh. The Smashwords system doesn't do any editing at all. I should know. Like I said, I edited and revised 3 times and there are still typos and some grammar errors in the finished product. I'm going to fix them, but I want to let the book get shipped out to the major retailers first. Then I'll revise again and the retailers will get an updated version on the next ship date...

All the system does is tell you if there are any formatting problems and then you fix them. Things like there can't be text boxes, and the paragraph styles can't switch from "traditional" to "block" style from section to section.

Some formatting errors get through though. In the first upload, some of my paragraphs were indented correctly, but then for some reason almost all of them were indented by a single space only. I didn't notice until I read the book on my nook... Then I revised and re-published...

Stuff like what you are describing would be considered "creative license" I think. Like my writing style. All speech is in the present tense normal font, but the character's thoughts are italicized and in the past tense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using a blog to vent a good idea? Bad idea? Other ideas? Suggestions? [ 13 Answers ]

If you've seen my other question, then you know I've had some drama lately.. Well concerning that post I will say, things settled out. Well.. more of, she read my journal that morning while I took my regents test and found out that I thought I liked her. Today, we discussed that. She doesn't...

Publishing Short Stories [ 1 Answers ]

My dream is to be a published novelist someday, but I know that I can't just jump into that right away. I have a novel in the works, but getting an unsolicited manuscript published is no small task. I need an agent. And to get a decent agent, I have to get something published. The answer to this...

Four short stories [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all!! Need help, I used to watch this horror movie that contained 4 short stories... All I remember is one is about a cat that smoothers in your sleep and another is about mummies... Can't remember the other two... Please help with the title of this movie

Writing short stories and an autobiography in segments [ 1 Answers ]

I have never submitted a story of mine to any publisher, book company, etc. is there a specific way to do this? How do I even start? Is there a specific way my material needs to be packaged/presented? Do I single space it, double space it? Where would the best place be to legitimately send it...

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

View more questions Search