Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superstar18 Posts: 380, Reputation: 5

Mar 11, 2012, 09:15 PM
    Joining the Peace Corps
    So I have been thinking about joining the peace corps for awhile now, but I just don't know where to start. I have done some research about it already, but basically what all do you do? I want to make a difference in this world somehow and I think this will be the perfect opportunity, but there is a problem. I don't know how to tell my parents I want to do this. Also can anyone give me additional info that would be helpful.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 09:29 PM
    Would this be between high school and college or work? Do you have a preference as to where you would be sent?

Why would your parents have a problem with it?

Mar 11, 2012, 09:41 PM
    Well it says that I would need to have four years of college, so actually it wouldn't matter what my parents think about it. I also wouldn't want to be placed where there is high crime rate.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 09:43 PM
    Do they give you a list of possible placements, and a choice?

Mar 11, 2012, 09:49 PM
    I don't remember I looked up info along time ago, but I will be doing some more research. I just don't know how to begin with it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 09:50 PM
    What level are you in at school?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
    You've read through the website? Talked with a recruiter?

Here are the areas needed: education, youth and community development, health, business and information and communications technology, agriculture, and environment.
    raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

Mar 12, 2012, 05:29 AM
    First and foremost you need a discipline that the Peace Corps is in need of. Construction, special education, bee-keeping, etc... This does not have to be your collegree degree, just real life experience. Find out what they are currently in need of and then try to obtain the necessary skills. In my case, I was a special education "teacher" in the Peace Corps. I majored in philosophy in college so I had to get my experience by extensive volunteering at a nearby school. Once they deemed my skill level high enough to be desirable the wheels started turning. As far as geographic location, you can state a preference but ultimately it will boil down to where you are best utilized. The application process can be long so I'd start looking into it now. The Peace Corps folks are very helpful. Once you submit an application you'll have an employee assigned to you that will help guide you through the minutea and advise you as far as your qualifications. My application process was close to 2 years long. As far as your parents are concerned I'd think they would be proud. Mine certainly were. Good luck!

Mar 12, 2012, 09:02 PM
    Yeah I have read the website and no I have not talked to a recruiter yet. I have also looked at doing CCS instead.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2012, 09:09 PM
    A person can find a reason that no area will be right for them, too much crime, too rural ( and they have their dangers also) Heck a college campus is often one of the most dangerous places with higher than average robberies and thefts on most.

The issue is, do you feel committed to the cause, not just something to do for a while.

Mar 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
    Yeah I would be committed to it if I joined, its something I have been interested in for awhile now and it's a great chance to meet new people and help them. It would be a great experience.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2012, 12:25 PM
    Most of the places that they would send people to would be areas riddled with poverty... AND what they hide... high crime rates. 23 volunteers have been killed over the years and large numbers assaulted and raped.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/us...pagewanted=all

It is a job that is not without a high degree of risk. Read that article and see the numbers... and make you decision knowing what really might happen rather that the rosey cheery picture they might paint of it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 12:36 PM
    Peace corp requirements are that you know several languages; be at least an RN or RPN, or a doctor. So this gives you some direction I would think. The CDN peace corps are rated the best in the world for language and healthcare skills.
    raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

Mar 13, 2012, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Peace corp requirements are that you know several languages; be at least an RN or RPN, or a doctor. So this gives you some direction I would think. The CDN peace corps are rated the best in the world for language and healthcare skills.
    My experience differed. I was not an RN, RPN or a Doctor. My language skills (Arabic) were learned as a volunteer during extensive in-country training. The attributes Tickle mentioned are certainly sought after but not mandatory. There were a couple of bee-keepers in my country of service (Tunisia).

Mar 13, 2012, 12:47 PM
    One of my old teachers joined the peace corps and was not a doctor.
    Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by superstar18 View Post
    One of my old teachers joined the peace corps and was not a doctor.
    It helps if you have some healthcare experience; tending to the ill and injured would be a necessity so some nursing skills would be a prerequisite.

Okay so he wasn't a doctor, but he probably had to pick up some skills to assist him.

I am not setting up roadblocks. I think this is a wonderful endeavor for a young person. It opens up a world of opportunities when you finish your tour of duty.
    Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingale View Post
    My experience differed. I was not an RN, RPN or a Doctor. My language skills (Arabic) were learned as a volunteer during extensive in-country training. The attributes Tickle mentioned are certainly sought after but not mandatory. There were a couple of bee-keepers in my country of service (Tunisia).
    And what skills did the bee keepers have that assisted them in the Peace Corp?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    And what skills did the bee keepers have that assisted them in the Peace Corp?
    Their skills were in insect management, customer service and personal relationships, knowing how to do something productive and explain it.They were able to improve income, gave people work to do, better health using honey instead of sugar, local economy improved, pride in one's accomplishments, etc.

One story about PC beekeepers (not just handing over a fish, but teaching the populace how to fish for themselves) --

Beekeeping in Ecuador
    Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 03:17 PM
    Okay, here is what you have to do superstar

Educational requirements for volunteers - Peace Corps Wiki
    Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    They were able to improve income, gave people work to do, better health using honey instead of sugar, local economy improved, pride in one's accomplishments, etc.

One story about PC beekeepers (not just handing over a fish, but teaching the populace how to fish for themselves) --

Beekeeping in Ecuador
    I think you had better read the website I entered for the OP. No doubt this helped, but not in life threatening situations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

This corps towed away my car by driving it. [ 9 Answers ]

I have this unregister car that I just bought at the auction with export license, just trying to fix something in it and the mechanic parked the car in front of their shop in NY ( I mean on the street) this corps driving by and said he's going to tow the car away because its not register and they...

Veterinary Corps in the Army? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my name is alannah I'm 17 and I'm interested in joining the Army for the Veterinary Corps. I'm currently in high school as a senior but I also take a vet tech science class at a tech program which I have been in for two years now. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who is...

Peace Corps [ 3 Answers ]

I've thought a lot about the Peace Corps as my "after high school plan" instead of going to college (well not completely I want to go after I come back) but it seems like everyone in my area is shoving the idea down all my peers' throats that they have to go to college after high school. I've...

View more questions Search