Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    axdwdrgc Posts: 86, Reputation: 3

Mar 11, 2012, 06:22 PM
    Why Are 6th Graders So Immature?
    I decided that I'd go to an after party. I showed up and what I saw was a bunch of stupid 6th graders ( I am personally going to seventh grade myself next year but... ) trying to create a mosh pit to the song "sorry for party rocking". Through he rest of the night I tried to separate the nerd me (the normal me) from the rest of me so I could try to have fun but they were trying to mosh pit for Pete's sake! I went to get ice cream (I still can't believe that's all they had... ) and when I sat down at a table they were talking about boys. But that was ALL they talked about. They tried to talk a girl (let's call her jan) into just talking to a boy (let's all him dave) that she had a rush on. I had danced with dave earlier that day and he's really nice and Jan's talked to him before and I found no reason why she would be scared to talk to Dave but... Anyway later it horrified me to see two of my friends (let's call one Sarah) trying to set one of my other friends up with her crush. Sarah ( who claims she has a boyfriend which I don't even consider a boyfriend for reasons I will specify later) goes up to her "boyfriend" and, get ready for this, hugged him. Everybody around me started yelling, clapping and cheering because they hugged. A hug. Seriously? But this isn't all.
    What they consider to be dates is going to Starbucks, Sweet Frog, (or some similar place such as these) with literally half the grade (37 people approx.) attempting to talk to their date. They will email people ASKing them to be the third wheel so their parents will let them go on the "date". Some of these relationships are only online. One of my friends hasn't seen her boyfriend since last year and the became boyfriend and girlfriend 3 months ago. He asked her out through IM-ing. This is just getting ridiculous, I mean these people wouldn't know what a real relationship was if they watched the notebook. I can't even talk to my old friends anymore cause they're all boy-crazy. I think this my have to do with the fact that I go to an all girls school. Whenever they see a boy they act like they're an unknow species. This is also taking a tool on me mentally because I only have around 3 friends at school and all the rest of my friends are boys from my church. I'm a nerd (not to be confused with a geek) so that already makes it difficult and I find that boys are easier companions (as in friends... ) than girls. Here's my dilemma: I can't really socialize with boys because...
    1) I don't see them very often because of the school I go to
    2) because if you even approach a guy then they assume your asking the on a date
    3) I can't start a proper conversation without something about science or introduce myself (according to my friends)

So my first question is why they all act like this, I mean I'm in the same grade as them so why do I feel like the only mature one ( besides my two friends that don't have "boyfriends")? My second is how can I get guy friends because I've already given up on female friends (as you can see) without everyone thinking I'm trying to date ( I can't talk about one of my best friends because every girl in my grade thinks he's my boyfriend. I mean come on? I think they've never heard of a guy friend) sorry this thing is so long and thank you for even reading this far let alone answering...

PS one week a bunch of girls started talking/texting guys that they had met online who go to our brother school only for three days and then they started running through the halls proclaiming that their best friend was a guy. They'd only been talking about three to four days. I can't believe how immature some of these girls are. Maybe it's just because it's our second year in middle school. I don't know...
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2012, 06:33 PM
    Because NO 6th grader is mature... you aren't mature until you hit your later 20's... and even then some aren't.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 06:39 PM
    Six graders are not suppose to be mature. A few are more than others at times, but in general they are children and act as such.
    Rachelrang Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Mar 11, 2012, 06:47 PM
    Wow moshing to an LMFAO song? Middle schoolers I will never understand anyone bellow 18 and even some times I don't understand people my age(21) people in general are stupid and smoothy I know a 49 year old man who acts like those middle schoolers and a 32 year old woman :/
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2012, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelrang View Post
    Wow moshing to an LMFAO song? Middle schoolers I will never understand anyone bellow 18 and even some times I don't understand people my age(21) people in general are stupid and smoothy I know a 49 year old man who acts like those middle schoolers and a 32 year old woman :/
    Ilike I said... some people never do mature... I don't doubt you at all, in fact I know a few myself as well. I'm 50, and I do VIVIDLY remember the sixth grade...

Mar 11, 2012, 07:35 PM
    I'm just wonder why they have to be THIS immature.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2012, 08:00 PM
    Because they are kids... by definition kids are immature... you can't expect more for a lot more years yet. They can't help it... they aren't old enough to have developed more maturity than that yet. And in any case... people mature at different rates. You are going to see this sort of thing for many, MANY more years to come.

Mosh pits themselves define immaturity anyway. Those of use who have truly matured laugh at them... ans many, MANY other things that kids and teens think are the most important things in life at that moment... just like things you see kids several years younger than you think is so important that you find childish and superficial... its all part of growing up.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by axdwdrgc View Post
    I'm just wonder why they have to be THIS immature.
    Because they're acting their age. They're kids. Sixth grade, 11-12 year olds, right? What do you expect from children? Asking an 11 year old child to be mature is like asking a dog to write a novel. It's an interesting concept, but not realistic.

You can't get mad at the dog because he's acting like a dog. You can't get mad at children because they're acting like children. It is what it is.

Mar 11, 2012, 08:22 PM
    Anything I can do to have a more enjoyable time?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 08:31 PM
    Anything I can do to have a more enjoyable time?
    Concentrate on your studies. Hang around with the kids you don't find annoying or immature. Don't go to parties with these kids since you have nothing in common with them.

No one is forcing you to do things with them, so don't. If they annoy you that much then avoiding them is always an option.

What do you enjoy doing? Do you have friends that enjoy the same things you do? If they're things you're allowed to do (ask mom and dad first) then why not spend some time with the friends that have the same interests as you, doing what you all enjoy doing?

Mar 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
    That's the problem even my friends aren't like me. The only reason I hangout with 2 of them is because they're not annoying. Math will be my friend...
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2012, 05:02 AM
    And by the time you are out of college... and I am assuming you will go to college... you will likely rarely ever see these "friennds" more often than class reunions every 5 years IF you and they attend.

They are your friends for the moment... but you have to make decisions that are good for you and your future (but not self indulgent ones). One of those is not letting the childish element of your peers hold you back. I know that might not make a lot of sense to you just yet... but I think you do understand at least part of what I mean by that, as you appear more mature than many of those around you. As you get older and more mature it will make a lot more sense.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2012, 12:51 PM
    ... what I saw was a bunch of stupid 6th graders ( I am personally going to seventh grade myself next year but...)

I find nothing unusual about this - isn't this how it usually works?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 01:13 PM
    So it appears you are slightly more mature or have different tastes than this group, I hear the same thing from those into goth, or into religion of some sort. They see life different.

If you want to seem to fit in or talk, sometimes you have to talk to them at times on their level and talk about what they want to talk about.

And agree, many friends change as you enter high school and almost all friends change if you go to college.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crafts for 3rd graders [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter goes to a Christian school and I am room mom. I need to organize a Harvest party and crafts. The school is VERY strict about not having any Halloween items in the classes. Any suggestions? I am especially having a hard time coming up with a craft.:D

Algebra help for 9th graders [ 6 Answers ]

3g-24=4h -2+2h=g

Do 8th graders really pick on you? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I was wondering if teachers get mad if you mix their names up and if 8th graders really pick on u:confused: and I think I might miss orientation so I'm scared lol:p

Dictionary for 2nd graders [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2nd grade sister, she is trying to improve her vocabulary. I wanted to know if there is any online dictionary for her age that gives simply definition

View more questions Search