Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jambear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Wire sizes and breaker boxes on main lines
    I am currently adding an addition on to my 100 year old house (which has 50 year old wiring). I only have 100 amp service, but this is enough for now. Here is my plan:

From the pole to the addition will be a 100 foot stretch of 4/0 cable. I realize that with 100 amp service I do not need that heavy of a cable, but I do believe that in the future I will be upgrading to 200 amp service. At the addition, I will have a little room off the side of the house for the sole purpose of housing electrical boxes. The 4/0 cable will come into a 100 amp breaker. From that breaker, I will have a cable (how heavy?) running into a breaker box that will feed everything in the addition with a 100 amp main breaker. This breaker box will run the lights and outlets and a stove in the addition. Should I run 4 gauge cable to the stove? And a 70 amp breaker?

And, I would also like to have a double 100 amp breaker to feed the old part of the house. It will run about 50 feet to another box with a 100 amp main breaker. How heavy of wire should I use to run to the second breaker box? #4?

And then, and here's where it gets really hairy, I intend next summer to incorporate into my system a wind generator. I want it to come into my electrical room where I will store the batteries and other equipment necessary. To tie into my system, I wonder if I can run it into its own 100 amp breaker which would feed the breaker box which feeds the addition, but I would be backfeeding the system through that breaker box.

To make that more clear, there will be two 100 amp breakers in the 'electric' room. One from the wind generating system and one from the pole. The one would feed the main breaker on the same breaker box as the one that backfeeds. These two breakers would never be on at the same time.

Does this sound feasible or really scary?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2007, 02:17 PM
    A few comments:

1.4/0 wire will not fit in a 100 amp breaker, compression wire reducers will be needed, or a mechanical connector that a piece of #2 can be spliced as an extension, if there s room in the enclosure. Do not just off extra strands to make the wire fit.

2. #4 copper THHN/THWN or XHHW, or #2 Aluminum XHHW wire is allowed for a 100 amp residential feeder.

3.I doubt the range needs a 70 amp circuit, most only need a 50 amp breaker with #6 Cu wire if Romex, or #8 Cu if MC cable.

4. The wind system should use a manual transfer switch, that allows for two inputs and switches between the two inputs to one output. The two breaker method you propse is not allowed, check with your utility for their opinion.

If you intend to cogenerate power and inject it into the utility grid, you must consult with your electric utility for their unique requirements.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size of waste lines from toilet to main [ 4 Answers ]

I have been told that 3-inch drain from a toilet achieves a better "swirling" action than larger 4-inch pipe, therefore helping to carry away solid wastes better. Is this true ? And if so, how far should I run before opening up to the main 4-inch waste line that exists my concrete slab ? :confused:

Difference between Main Lug and Main Breaker Panel [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Main Breaker Panel and a Main Lug Panel and can either be used in new residential construction.

New 15A breaker trips main 100A breaker [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've been finishing my basement and I added a few 15A breakers One room has 8 outlets in series with the first starting about 6 feet from the main panel. There is currently no load on this outlets. When installing the drywall I accidentally shorted the outlet closest to the panel. It...

Main breaker and main disconnect [ 2 Answers ]

What I have is a home built in 1960 moved in 2 years it had a meter hanging from the rear of house with no main, 240v 50amp circuit to stove, 240 30amp to dryer, 5 breakers for the rest of house 1 20amp and 4 15amp. What my plan is to replace the meter housing and put a g.e. 200amp Disconnect on...

Drain pipe sizes and venting sizes [ 4 Answers ]

1.) What dia. Drain pipe is used for the shower/tub? 2" ? Is that ID or OD? 2.) What dia vent pipe is for the shower/tub? 2"? 3.) I'm going to put a vent in for the shower/tub in my basement. It starts at the slab then goes straight up about 7ft. And then does a 90 and then is running...

View more questions Search