Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alanrorr1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2012, 02:13 PM
    GFCI Hookup Question - Missing Neutral
    Hi,
    Wondering, how I could get this to work?

I can get the spa/jacuzzi to work but the GFCI does not trip when the test button is pressed. Important, of course, if I want the spa running while people are in it.

I am reusing an old AC circuit box that has the 2 hot leads and 1 ground coming from the main circuit box. In this box, I now have a GFCI breaker. When I hook the neutral line to ground the GFCI test button does not work as described above.

I was thinking of 1 of 3 options:
    1. Install the GFCI breaker in the main box with the other breakers. This will give potential access to the neutral bar if that is required. The problem is that the neutral line for the spa would then need to be hooked up to the ground line (since neutral only at the main box).
    2. Change the ground line to a neutral line from the main box, install a ground rod to act as the ground line. This may not be prudent so need to think about more.
    3. Add a neutral line from the main box in addition to the existing three. It is about a 20 foot run in the wall so not sure how I would do this.

Ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Mar 8, 2012, 02:28 PM
    1 & 2 have the potential of killing you.

3 is the correct correction.

Also, your GFCI breaker should have a neutral pigtail (if you're using the correct type of breaker). This pigtail goes to the neutral bar and the neutral from the spa hooks into the breaker.

Mar 8, 2012, 02:43 PM
    Thanks for the answer! Yes, it has the neutral pigtail. How difficult is it typically to add a line (i.e. neutral) to the existing 3 lines? Are they typically hard to pull through or case by case basis or? Thanks again.

Mar 8, 2012, 02:53 PM
    May be a silly question. Is it required to hook up the neutral to the spa for the GFCI to work? If this is possible, I would not need the neutral line from the box to the spa (since I can put the breaker in the main box). Thanks!!

Mar 8, 2012, 03:20 PM
    Case be case. If you have wires run in conduit, it's probably easiest to pull the existing wires out and re-pull them.

If the spa does NOT require a neutral, you don't need to have one from the GFCI breaker to the spa.

Mar 8, 2012, 06:29 PM
    Great and thanks! I just found this link for additional help: How to Fish Wires Through a Conduit or Pipe: 5 steps - wikiHow
    I will check and see if the spa requires the neutral line.
    Alan

Mar 8, 2012, 06:40 PM
    Good luck with that :-)

Highly unlikely you'll be able to get a wire through with existing wires already there. It would be WAY easier to just pull out the existing wires, and repull than with the additional neutral.

BTW, the top picture on your link, from my understanding, shows a direct violation of the national electrical code. Romex can't be put inside conduit (it can overheat and become fire hazard).

Mar 8, 2012, 07:24 PM
    I think I will need it. I have not had good luck in the past with a very short run of 10 feet of conduit and this is more like 20 to 30 feet. I hope it is large diameter :). Thanks!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI neutral bar/pigtail question for hot tub [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 240 volt hot tub (4 wire) and it's wired in a spa pack to a GE 50 AMP GFCI breaker. An electrician did the wiring and connected both the hot tub neutral and the gfci pigtail to the neutral bar instead of to the neutral of the gfci breaker. According to everything I've read here the GFCI...

Gfci hookup without a neutral [ 1 Answers ]

I have a spa that has 2 hot wires and 1 ground # 6 wire size,how do I hook up a GFCI breaker to it if it does not have a neutral.

220 Volt GFCI Operation without Neutral [ 5 Answers ]

I am installing a 220-volt circuit consisting of two (2) #6 conductors and a #10 ground via rigid conduit to a 50-amp Hot Tub. I have also run a bonding wire to the load center which is within 5-feet of the hot tub. Inside the load center the neutral and ground have been bonded. I didn't run a...

Open neutral on gfci and 1 other outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a GFCI outlet that wires to another outlet and both outlets have stopped working and I'm getting an open neutral indication at both oulets. The outlets are on the same circuit as a double wall switch one of which is a 2 way(turn off or on from different locations). The switches work fine...

View more questions Search