Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bulls173v Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2012, 12:37 PM
    Hello Guys does anyone know if We can install the ddr ram pc3200 into a sdram socket?
    Hello!

I am trying to upgrade my Pcs and wondering if the ""DDR RAM"" would work into a DDR SDRAM socket. I would greatly aapricaite you help. Thank you and have a great day!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Mar 8, 2012, 11:53 PM
    Do you have DDR sockets or SDRAM sockets? What motherboard?

Single data rate SDRAM came first and all subsequent DDR (double data rate) is SDRAM. However, DDR modules will not fit in SDRAM sockets. Also, there are more recent formats of DDR such as DDR2 and DDR3 which are all incompatible, but modules are notched so they only fit in the proper socket. Within a format modules rated to operate faster can be used where a slower module was used originally. For example, your PC-3200 DDR module in theory should work fine in a motherboard that originally used PC-1600 DDR modules. I say in theory because in practice mixing old with new can be problematic. If you install the PC-3200 module and the machine boots, run a memory test such as Memtest86+ overnight to verify stability.

More info:
    Wikipedia: SDRAM
    Wikipedia: DDR
    joecoolvette Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Mar 11, 2012, 04:49 PM
    Sdram is a shortened name for SDR Sdram. Single Data Rate Sdram.
    (Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory)

There are 168 gold plated contact pins on the bottom, (84 on each side), and two Locating Notches.
    This means the RAM slot, will have TWO Locating Lugs in the bottom of it.

DDR Sdram, or Double Data Rate Sdram, has 184 contact pins. 92 on each side.
    It also has ONE Locating Notch.

Therefore physically, a DDR Sdram RAM module, will not fit in an SDR Sdram RAM slot.

The contact pins on the bottom are for Voltage, (Power), Signal, and Ground. Each contact pin has a specific job.

DDR2 Sdram has 240 gold plated contact pins. 120 on each side. ONE Locating Notch.
    DDR3 Sdram also has 240 contact pins. The Locating Notch is in a different place, however.

General example of DDR Sdram, (It is PC2100, or DDR Sdram that can operate Up To, a maximum frequency rate of 266MegaHertz. {266MHz),

File:Generic DDR Memory (Xytram).jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

General example of SDR Sdram,

File:SDR SDRAM-1.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can click on the photos to enlarge.

Regards,
    joecoolvette
    joecoolvette Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2012, 01:23 PM
    I don't feel you've been helped. Would appreciate it if you would post the computer manufacturer, and model number, of the Desktop PC.

(For HP computers it is Product Number. P/N in the white Service Tag, on the back of the computer tower, or up on the side )

Also post as much info about the RAM module/s, ('Stick'), as you can.
    Is there a manufacturer name, and manufacturer code, on the side of the RAM module? Post whatever you see on the side.

Awaiting your reply.
    Regards, joecoolvette

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi, Does anyonw where I could buy DDR SDRAM PC 3200 1 GB stick for $10? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Guys, I am looking to buy 4X1GB DDR SDRAM PC3200, but I don't have a lot of money if any one of you guys have a website where I could buy the cheap hardware, please let me know I would really appreicated. I checked on Ebay and Amazon they are a little expansive in my case, plus they...

Question about DDR RAM.. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking into buying a new motherboard, the motherboard is DDR2 RAM. My question is: can you use regular DDR RAM in a DDR2 motherboard ? Reason I ask is because I already have 1G OF DDR RAM and I really don't want to spend any more money for DDR2 RAM.

Ddr ram [ 14 Answers ]

Today I bought new ram (512 mb ddr 400 mhz) for my computer but when I put it in and tried to run my computer, it restarted after clearing the windows xp loading screen. To make matters worse my computer will not even run with my old bit of ram (256 mb ddr 333 mz) I took it back to the shop and...

View more questions Search