Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    malibugirl1978 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2012, 02:04 PM
    Tax on sold inherited property
    I inherited my Dads house and I am selling it on a land contract. It is being sold lower then turned in to court house records. Do I turn in the interest being made on the house.Still in my name tntil paid for.

Mar 7, 2012, 03:11 PM
    Taxes owed on inherited home sold by land contract. Do I pay taxes on interest.
    I am selling a inherited home by land contract. Do I pay taxes on interest. No gain on value of house
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 05:36 PM
    Not until you have recovered all of your basis in the property.

Mar 7, 2012, 10:32 PM
    Taxes on inherited home sold by land contract
    Thank you for your fast reply. Concerning your answer the total of the interest when home is paid for will still be below what I filed at court house. Does this still require me to pay tax on interest as you said when I get total amount. Thank you

Mar 7, 2012, 10:49 PM
    Taxes on inherited home sold by land contract
    I am so sorry but I neglected to state this is concerning filing it on income tax
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2012, 04:21 AM
    First, the proper way to add to your questions is using the Answer options below, please don't start new questions. I've merged your threads for you.

This depends on how you have worded your contract. Normally, in a land sales contract, the buyer is paying a monthly amount that is NOT considered principal and interest. So the payments are not income. However, if you sold using a promissory note, then the interest could be considered income for you.

I strongly suggest you consult a tax professional for this year's return.

Mar 8, 2012, 10:48 AM
    Thank You I'm sorry about the confusion.. Your answer helped me
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2012, 11:29 AM
    Actually looking at my answer I misspoke. The payments made ARE income, because they are contractual payments. Pretty much the same as rent.

I'm not sure, and would suggest a tax pro to answer, what happens when the contract is completed and the property transferred.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you calculate the capital gains tax on a sold property that was inherited? [ 4 Answers ]

My two sisters and I inherited our grandmother's house, and today sold it to our cousin (his grandmother as well). The property was sold for $52,000, and we each (the three of us) received checks for more than $17,000. How do I calculate what my capital gains tax will be?

Inherited property sold for less then the appraisal tax fees? [ 2 Answers ]

I Inherited a home from my grandmother who passed away in Jan 2011. It was recently appraised at 145,000. We are selling it for 90,000. Ive read there is no taxes for property inherited that is less then a million? Once sold do I have to pay taxes? I live in Georgia.

Tax on inherited property sold abroad [ 2 Answers ]

My wife (a US citizen) inherited 3 acreas of land in Honduras. She recently sold it for $100,000. To date she has only received a down payment of $20,000 of which she had to pay a capital $4000 capital gains tax to Honduras based on the total sales price. The purchaser has run into some...

Tax on inherited property sold overseas [ 2 Answers ]

My parents (non-US citizens) lived overseas and have passed away. On the death of my mother, I inherited their apartment and have recently sold it and intend transferring the proceeds to the US. I am a US citizen, 72 years old, reside in the US and file joint tax returns with my wife. Question:...

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

View more questions Search