Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suma1433 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 06:46 AM
    New Dishwasher causing sink to back up
    Ever since our new dishwasher was installed, our kitchen sink backs up. We do not have a garbage disposal. Do I need a special vent?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 19, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by suma1433
    Ever since our new dishwasher was installed, our kitchen sink backs up. We do not have a garbage disposal. Do I need a special vent?
    A special vent isn't needed. You have a partial blockage somewhere in your drainage. My bet's on the lateral, (horizontal) drain in the wall. Remove the "J" bend from the trap and send a snake up into the wall. You'll hit a elbo about 6" in but once past that you'll have a straight shot of about 5 feet to the sanitary tee and vent stack. Snake the drain line and I'll bet your problem will disappear. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New washing machine causing sewer back up? [ 8 Answers ]

Just under a month ago, my Mom and step-father gifted us with a new washer and dryer. The washer we had was approximately 13-14 years old, and while working mostly fine, I think was probably on it's last legs. While using the old washer, we would (for the last several months) have to shut it...

Dishwasher/sink vent? [ 1 Answers ]

My dishwasher has recently started gurgling when draining. It's been brought to my attention that my sink and dishwasher do not have a vent. How hard are these to install?

Dishwasher sink vent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am installing a new sink and facuet. Do I need to have a dishwasher sink vent in order for my dishwasher to work? Thanks

New sink causing drain problems, not from clog [ 3 Answers ]

I just had a shop sink installed about six feet away from my kitchen sink. The guy who did it insisted it would work but now the kitchen sink does not drain well at all, nor does the shop sink. Here's the setup. The kitchen sink has a trap and then the pipe goes down almost to the floor and then...

View more questions Search