Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vandyintrone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2012, 11:04 AM
    Renter's liability after fire
    Hi,
    Can you please tell me what happened in your case. The similar incident happened in at my side and I need help so if you don't mind can you update me on this incident.
    Thanks a lot in advance
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2012, 01:18 PM
    This was 3 years ago and the person who asked hasn't been back.

My guess? The owner's insurance company paid and then sued the tenant for the amount of damages. Happens all the time in my area.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 7, 2012, 04:31 AM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

If you want to explain what your situation is, we can try to advise. No two situations are likely to be exactly alike so it would be better to describe yours then ask about someone else's experience from three years ago.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2012, 08:20 AM
    I based my answer on these circumstances (the answer would change, of course, if circumstances changed): fire in tenant's apartment caused by tenant's PROVEN negligence. Tenant does not carry renter's insurance. Landlord's insurance pays for damages. Landlord's insurance then subrogates the claim - attempts to recoup what it has paid out from the tenant. Judgments can be "good" for 20 years. The insurance company has the time, energy and resources to wait that long to collect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accidental Fire Liability - CT [ 12 Answers ]

I am a renter in CT. My apartment was in an accidental fire(stove was accidentally turned on without my notice, the indication light on stove might have failed to turn on and eventually the stove caught fire). Fire Marshall said the electric stove has a burner and that caught fire and it was purely...

Renter's liability after fire [ 11 Answers ]

If a person does not have renters insurance and the rental home catches on fire because someone accidentally left the stove on, can the renter be held responsible to the landlords insurance for repayment?

Fire - no renter's insurance - negligent landlord [ 4 Answers ]

We suffered an apartment fire and lost almost everything we own. Among those lost items were antiques, electronics, all of our wedding gifts taken out of the boxes a few days before, homemade quilts, paintings, etc. The owners were using acetone to dissolve varnish on a badly refinished wood floor...

Fire damage liability [ 1 Answers ]

If a juvenile starts a fire on city owned property, a playground area, and the city owned parcel and city owned adjacent parcel have not been properly maintained for fire control, is the city responsible for damages caused to properties adjacent to their property?

View more questions Search