Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angela39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2012, 12:37 AM
    Overnight visits for 7 month son
    My 7 month old son's father who pays child support says that legally at one year he is entitled to have baby for 30 consecutive days. Is this true? He goes 3 weeks at a time without seeing child and doesn't know him at all. I have not signed anything yet he is having papers drawn up now.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 7, 2012, 04:47 AM
    It would be true ONLY if there is a court ordered custody/visitation agreement that specifies that.

I assume you were never married (or no longer married; which?). But that he is the legal father (either listed on the birth certificate or signed an acknowledgment of paternity or was designated by the court that issued the support order.

If there is no custody/visitation order, then you have equal rights to the child. However, since he was ordered to pay support then there is probably something official designating you as primary custodial parent. So without a formal visitation agreement, you are in control.

But he can go to court to establish a visitation schedule.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 06:59 AM
    He is entitled to visitation and he will be entitled to take the child to his home for over night visits. Normally if he lives in the area, he may have joint custody, you have child one week and he has child one week.
    Or he may get the child every other weekend and a day during the week.

Only if he lives a long distant away, perhaps another state does he get the child for a full month ( expect perhaps summer visits)

But you need first if you do not have it a custody order and then a visitation order.

If he visits with the child every three weeks, that is visiting and he would know the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nys laws about overnight visits during separation with new girlfriend? [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend is legally separated, he has been out of the house for almost 2 years. He has an 11 year old and 14 year old boy. We are moving in together, planning to sleep in separate beds and rooms. My boyfriends ex wife is threatening that this is illegal and she will not allow it. Custody has...

4 month old spit up a lot today-worried about dehydration? What to do overnight? [ 1 Answers ]

My 4 month old didn't keep much of his feedings down today-spit up a few times. I'm worried about dehydration. Is there a way to know if he is OK? Should I let him sleep through the night or check him? He had no fever when he went to bed but was fussy today.

What to do about overnight visits. Who pays the tab? [ 3 Answers ]

I have similar problem. My ex is moving 200 miles away. I have sole physical and legal custody. He has limited visitation, NO OVERNIGHTS. He expects me to meet him half way two weekend days and every other weekend. He pays almost NO child support and wouldn't agree to pay for gas.. ( I have a gas...

Are overnight visits for an 18 year old mandated by the court? [ 16 Answers ]

I live in Indiana. I am divorced with an 18 year old son (who is a senior in high school) and a 10 year old daughter. Up until last month, my son lived with me full-time and my daughter part time. When my son turned 18, he decided to move in with his mother; therefore requiring me to pay...

Overnight visits appropriate [ 2 Answers ]

Should newborns have overnight visitation, at what age is it appropriate I do not feel comfortable with overnight visits for my newborn and don't know when I will be okay with it.

View more questions Search