Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foxylove Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2012, 09:38 PM
    My sister needs help
    My little sister is very challenged in reading and literature. She is 6 years old and in her 2nd year of kinder. Our parents are always very busy so I'm the one who tutors her. Well I'm trying to tutor her but all she wants is to have fun or be lazy and watch TV. I try to make things as fun as possible for her but she doesn't cooperate. She just goes to starfall.com an educational website that her teacher assigned to her but she just thinks its another game to play. What do I do to help her raise her education with her cooperating?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2012, 09:49 PM
    You get your parents involved, they need to take time for their child.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2012, 09:52 PM
    Starfall.com IS another game to play. That is how children her age learn, through play.
    Encourage it. And incorporate learning in her play. Make a game out of it.

And try not to have such high standards. I know it sounds odd, but expecting too much out of a child can often make them not want to excel.

At this age, the best way to teach is to teach without them realize that they are learning. Make it fun. Or she will be set up for a lifetime of hating school.

Mar 8, 2012, 05:40 PM
    Jenni pepsi all she does on that website is create her own avatar in the websites feature called who am I! It doesn't teach her how to read at all! The website doent even help her. I tried to get my parents involed and they tried but she doesn't cooperate.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2012, 06:12 PM
    Hi foxylove,

I've used Starfall in my classroom... Who Am I? Is popular... :) We established a rule of "work" first, then "play". You could select the reading activities that you want her to focus on for say 15-20 minutes. Then she can try out some of the game type activities. No TV, no playtime, until after she has her study time. Your parents will have to back it up.

If she doesn't follow what you have set-up, she doesn't get to use it... period. Then she can make the choice the next day. Most likely she will make a different choice... :)

Do you have any educational stores in your area? Even places like Target will carry some educational software, games, and activity books.

A good source of ideas would be her teacher at school. See what areas she needs particular help with and what suggestions her teacher has. You may even be able to borrow some of the same books to use at home so that she has that consistency in what she is learning. You didn't mention how old you are, but if you are able to stop by her school after dismissal, maybe her teacher could should you some things to try. Or have your parents go with you.

Your sister may work with a reward system in place. Stickers, for example, can be an incentive. You could make a simple chart with a poster board to show when she masters different letter sounds, blends, long and short vowels, simple sight words, etc.

Another good idea would be to visit a local library and speak to the children's librarian. Letting your sister choose appropriate level books, that she is interested in, may help get her interested.

Obviously it would be beneficial if your parents, or at least one of them, would be able to help you with getting some more resources together.

You didn't mention it, but do you know if there is any sort of learning disability involved? How much is she struggling? Since she is in her second year of kindergarten, do you know if she is much ahead of where she was last year? Is she on target for meeting the skills expected?

Mar 8, 2012, 06:30 PM
    No she doesn't have any known disabilliteis. And that is great advice thanks so much.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2012, 09:13 PM
    Stop focusing so much on her education. She is 6 years old. She is a child. Having fun and playing is education and a way too learn. How old are you? Why do you think it is a responsibility you need to take on?

Please relax, and chill out and try not to be such a parent to her and be more of a sister.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A women who is my aunt but not my father's sister or mother's sister, who is she? [ 10 Answers ]

A women who is my aunt but not my father's sister or mother's sister, who is she?

My husband treats his sister better then me and his sister is ruining our marriage. [ 6 Answers ]

My husbands sister gets in the way of our marriage what can I do?

What is needed for me to get custody of my 16 year old sister? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 24 year old male, who lives in Minnesota, and would like my 16 year old sister, who lives in New York, to move in with me and my family, because at the time she is living with our grandparents( they currently have custody of her) and they are becoming much to elderly to take care of her and...

Sister in prison expecting twins I'm the only sister how do I get them [ 12 Answers ]

Hi I'm in Indiana. My sister is in prison expecting twins. I am her sister both our parents haved passed. The father denys being with her. So how would I legally go about getting custody of the babies when they are born? So you think just a notorized letter might work? My sister is 28...

View more questions Search