Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tuxedo_cat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 03:31 AM
    Was paid with cash and check, no 1099
    Hello,

I am an F-1 OPT student who did some freelance work last year. I earned about $4500 from one job, $1200 from another and $1000 from the last. The thing is, I have not received tax paper work from the job that I earned $4500 from. I couldn't get in touch with my employer. I realize now that it was a "casual" job -- she didn't ask for my social security and was paying me in cash and check.

I am concerned about paying my taxes for 2006. I don't want to get into trouble with the IRS. I have been told that if they audit my employers, they may find records of me being paid with a check, and will come after me.
    1) How do I deal with the "missing" paperwork?
    2) How many schedule C's do I file?

Other details: it is my 5th year here.

Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 01:34 PM
    You will still file as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR with Schedule C to report the $4,500 in income.

The fact that there is no paper trail does not relieve you of the requirement to declare this income.

Fortunately for you, no self-employment taxes should be due (due to the fact that your are a F-1 visaholder).

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].
    schoobi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxedo_cat
    Hello,

I am an F-1 OPT student who did some freelance work last year. I earned about $4500 from one job, $1200 from another and $1000 from the last. The thing is, I have not received tax paper work from the job that I earned $4500 from. I couldn't get in touch with my employer. I realize now that it was a "casual" job -- she didn't ask for my social security and was paying me in cash and check.

I am concerned about paying my taxes for 2006. I don't want to get into trouble with the IRS. I have been told that if they audit my employers, they may find records of me being paid with a check, and will come after me.
    1) How do I deal with the "missing" paperwork?
    2) How many schedule C's do I file?

Other details: it is my 5th year here.

Thank you.
    If the total income you earned in 2006 was less than or equal to $8,450, then you do not have to file income tax. If you did not have a job where income tax was withheld, and your total income is below the limit above, there is no need to file income taxes. If you did work with income tax withheld in addition to the work you were paid cash for, then you will need to file taxes based on total income earned to get a refund of the income tax withheld. You can file one schedule C with all the income earned and paid in cash.
    Again, if your total gross income earned in 2006 was below $8,450 you do not have to file a tax return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 06:21 PM
    What Schoobi says would true IF you could claim the standard deduction.

For non-resident aliens, only Indian citizens on either F-1 or J-2 visas can claim the $5,150 standard deduction.

If you are not Indian, then filing a return for $4,500 IS required!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens if you cash a check that a bank sent you by mistake [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I received a check from a bank to my name for an amount of money that I don't recall is due to me. What would happen if I cash this check? Can I be charged with a crime, if the bank decides to recall the check? Are any other types of cahrges can be brought against me if I cash the...

Dependent student paid with 1099-MISC [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is a 20-year-old full-time college student and as such can still be claimed on my taxes as a dependent. On her own taxes she checks the box that she can be and has been filed as a dependent to someone else's taxes. In past years all of her part-time employment has been recorded as...

401K over 60 days, but did not cash check? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm hoping to find an answer to my question here... My wife closed out her profit sharing at her old company and for reasons I won't go into, we lost the check that was sent to her, and rediscovered it 90 days later (the check was written in October). Obviously we did not cash the check. Are we...

Cash an international check in australia [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know where in Australia I can cash an international cheque on the spot?:confused:

View more questions Search