Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mmimosa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2012, 03:36 AM
    A colleague threatened me with violence. What can I do?
    I confronted a workplace bully and told him to f**k off. In the following discussion he said I had broken some sort of barrier and that he would be justified in hitting me. He threatened to do so. I offered no resistance but said that would probably result in him being sacked. He left the room.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 4, 2012, 04:34 AM
    Saying he'd be justified in hitting you isn't hitting you, nor is saying he's going to hit you, and he's the one who walked out.
    Of course you can report anything you want, but it could result in both of you being let go. Or one of you. Or being considered someone who can't handle the workplace yourself, like an adult.
    You were capable of telling him off, so you are capable of dealing with him in the future.
    Next time he bullies, think of something either more clever, biting, or constructive to say than the usual f**k you.
    Something like 'Do you have any idea how many people here don't like you because all you do is bully?'
    If he's intolerable, find those other people and confront him as a group with one calm person doing the talking.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2012, 09:02 AM
    So after you reported this to your boss and HR what happened?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2012, 09:57 AM
    Sometimes the only thing you can do is tell a bully to f--- off. That might create some more tension but this person knowing that you will stand up for yourself maybe will back down in the future. Threatened to hit but did not, guess what you also used smart words. If this person ever did punch or hit you in the work place. Guess what it would be their a-- fired and gone I would hope. Do not retaliate. This person walked out of the room. Now leave it alone. My suggestion to you is keep track of these incidents. Write everything down and have it ready for yourself. Keep record.
    Mmimosa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2012, 10:12 AM
    There is a meeting with our managing director planned for tomorrow morning. I'll update later.
    Thanks for all the input by the way.
    jaffeyjoeblaze Posts: 157, Reputation: 16

Mar 27, 2012, 03:49 AM
    You did the right thing by letting HR know... most of the time these 'bullies' are all talk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are a father's rights after years of no contact and threatened violence? [ 0 Answers ]

My ex fiancé and I have been together for 6 years. He has traveled overseas for about 4 years of our relationship, I left him recently as he got very abusive towards me. I laid a case of asault against him , he pleaded guilty and paid a fee... he now has a criminal record on his name, and he has...

Is my colleague trying to have an emotional affair with me [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I came across this site randomly when I researched some questions. Ok so here is my story and I will try to be short and concise... I'm friends with a coworker of mine and we have always had a platonic relationship. I have a boyfriend and he is married. Anyhow, we've been friends since I...

Affair with a colleague who's got a girlfriend [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Im a 28 year old girl who recently met a male colleague 5 years older. He wasn't really my type until my other colleagues began teasing us at work because we seem to be getting really close to each other. We sit next to each other and are really enjoying each other's company. I find myself...

Fraudlent Colleague [ 9 Answers ]

I just discovered that my "know it all" co-worker is a liar and a fraud! He has forged university degree to get the current job which is a systems' analyst at a Telecommunications company. I discovered this because one of his former university colleagues asked me if worked together? And I told him...

View more questions Search