Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marieh4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2012, 05:04 PM
    Pit bull owner
    I own a pit bull and would like to rent a vacation house for the weekend, the renter says she will not rent to pit bulls because insurance will not cover them, I get that because my homeowners does not either but I thought I could persuade her by showing I have liability, any advice would be helpful. My dog does not have a bite history and vet would put it in writing I also do not allow my dog in situations that have potential to cause harm like off leash or approaching strangers.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 2, 2012, 06:09 PM
    It is a shame that good dogs take the rap for breed stereotypes. I also own a pit and he is the most loving tolerant dog, I wouldn't be afraid to take him anywhere, but unfortunately that is not the general consensus across the board. I don't know that there are laws or ordinances that would allow you to override a homeowners policy. Especially if it is managed by a property rental. If handled by the actual owner, because they have no history with your dog I doubt that they would take your word and your vets' word for it.
    Perhaps this question should be in another section where other members have more expertise.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 2, 2012, 07:13 PM
    It is totally up to the landlord. You can offer to pay for an insurance rider or an ioncreased amount for the rental. But the bottom line its up to her.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2012, 08:09 AM
    Good luck in finding a loophole with a pit bull.

With all the BSL laws and the "Do not allow" breed, there is probably no chance you can convince anyone to take your dog on as a liablility. Unfortunately it doesn't matter if your dog is a powder puff or a fire-breathing dragon.. A pit bull is a pit bull and most people can't see beyond that.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2012, 08:35 AM
    It's the landlord's choice. If she wouldn't take ANY dogs - or poodles, for that matter - that's her "rule." She basically doesn't even need to tell you her policy. "No" is sufficient.

I own a very large GSD and have the same problem. I was able to get HO's insurance (wouldn't be without it) but I see people back away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pit Bull Game? [ 20 Answers ]

I've been watching some random videos on YouTube (what else is there to do when you have no school?) and in almost every pit bull video they have like a tire or something hanging from a tree and they send the pit bull in to get it... Just wondering if this is like a sport or? Here is one video it...

Pit bull running [ 13 Answers ]

Hi folks I have a serious problem. Our pit bull, 9 months old, takes off if he gets out in front of house. Always goes to same house and gets into a tassel with dog that lives there. This has happened 3 times. Is there any training that will stop him from doing this? The town wants me...

Reverting pit bull [ 3 Answers ]

I have a three month old pitbull. Don't laugh but I have two chihuahuas female that are potty trained well. When I brought Chino home, the Pit, peed in the house twice. After that he started going outside as trained. We were very pleased and proud. I brought him home when he was six weeks old. ...

Pit Bull [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1yr old and she just went into heat about 4months ago and is already in heat again is it safe to start breeding her or should I wait. Also can I buy the shots for the puppies some where because the pet store does not sell it and the needles to do so. And is there any spacific diet I should...

Pit bull has worms [ 2 Answers ]

My dog (pitt bull)has worms that are shaped kind of like a tooth, and he won't gain any weight, it looks like I am starving him. What kind are these worms and how do I get rid of them??

View more questions Search