Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Racelwithnoh Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2012, 06:52 AM
    WA state time allowed after dismiss with prejudice to bring back?
    If a case for harassment is dismissed without prejudice how long is the prosecutor given to get more evidence to bring it back or does this just hang around forever with the threat it can be brought back?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2012, 06:56 AM
    Hello R:

If the case got dismissed, the SOL starts all over again. But, my guess is that once the prosecutor didn't get his way in court, he's given up.

But, that would be the guy I'd call to ask. And, I'd do it today.

excon
    Racelwithnoh Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2012, 07:36 AM
    I'm sorry what is SOL? Too early here yet to call so thought I'd follow up and ask you. Thank you Ecxon.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2012, 08:00 AM
    Hello R:

I'm in Seattle...

The SOL is the statute of limitations. That's the time they have between DISCOVERING the crime, and FILING charges... The dismissal starts everything all over again.

But, I don't think the SOL is the problem. IF the prosecutor wants to prosecute, he's NOT going to let the SOL expire.. In fact, IF he's going to prosecute, he should have begun IMMEDIATELY.

Additionally, I don't know WHY the case was dismissed.. If the prosecutor had NO evidence, the judge would have dismissed WITH prejudice, preventing the prosecutor from EVER pursuing these charges again... But, he didn't, indicating that there was a technical fix that was needed.

If you're the victim, the prosecutor is YOUR lawyer and he'll discuss the case with you... But, if you're the defendant, calling to ask whether he's going to pursue charges, will get you NOWHERE. The only way you'll find out is when you're arrested again. If you had an attorney, he MIGHT be of some help.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file a motion to dismiss a child support order California from out of state? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Virginia. I have a child support order in California because that's where my kids lived when myself and their mother were separated for 7 years. California is where the order exists. It was never transferred to Virginia. My children have now been with me for the last 4 years, but the...

How to file a motion to dismiss a child support order California from out of state? [ 0 Answers ]

I live in Virginia. I have a child support order in California because that's where my kids lived when myself and their mother were separated for 7 years. California is where the order exists. It was never transferred to Virginia. My children have now been with me for the last 4 years, but the...

Is an order of "Dismiss" a dismissal with prejudice and can I refile the case? [ 2 Answers ]

I filed a small claims court case in Volusia County Florida against a man who admits vandalizing my property. A trial date and time was set. I made an error in the appearance time and was 20 minutes too late. The judge entered a "dismiss" order without stating whether it was with or without...

Is there any strengh in motion to dismiss due to state soventry and eleventh emendmen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was given the right to sue by the federal gov against the state since I am a state employee. It is a very very sensitive civil issue but my problem is the AG who represent my job is trying to motion to dismiss based on state soventry and the eleventh amendment I live in PA and work in NY. i...

How do I bring back the old us? Bring back the long convo's and the activeness? [ 6 Answers ]

Bman 800 here call me bryan OK I've been dating the love of my life for almost six months and I have nown her for about a year now and I think the relationship is getting tired I am NOT breaking it off we love each other more than anything in the world she lost her virginity to me... I unfortunetly...

View more questions Search