Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    willdoe Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2004, 06:50 AM
    Compaq Presario Boot Up?
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone reading this post

Hey folks,

I have a compaq Presario 5000. I have windows Xp on it. Last week I loaded xp and everything worked OK. I shut it down and moved it to a desk where I thought it will be more suitable, plugged in the power cord. It came on for about 3 seconds (without pressing the power button) and then it went off again. I cannot get it back on to save my life. Can anyone help me out?
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Nov 28, 2004, 04:28 AM
    It sounds like your power supply has failed and needs to be replaced.

Nov 28, 2004, 10:38 AM
    Thanks for you help, but that didn't work...
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Nov 28, 2004, 01:58 PM
    It is possible something has come unseated. Try reseating your RAM and video card, and remove/unplug any nonessential hardware, including hard drives and floppy drives.

Then see if there is any improvement.

Best of luck,
    ~psi42

Nov 28, 2004, 05:03 PM
    Will a bad video card cause a computer to boot up for 3 sec and then shut off? Just curious.

I did what you said PSI, but to no avail...

I appreciate your words of wisdom.

Nov 28, 2004, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by willdoe
    Will a bad video card cause a computer to boot up for 3 sec and then shut off? just curious.
    I doubt it, but it's worth a try to remove it and see what happens :)

Don't lose hope, this kind of thing has happened to me before...

Nov 29, 2004, 01:36 PM
    Nope that didn't work either. I took everything out and I don't get the beeps either..
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Dec 6, 2004, 10:26 AM
    If the issue was not the power supply, then it is either that your computer is overheating, which sounds very likely, or your version of Windows is corrupted or worse case scenario, your motherboard has gone bad.

The spectrum is wide, I know, but your description of the problem is not very clear. I am only speaking from the side of a professional troubleshooter and these are the things that I would look into first.

Dec 6, 2004, 03:35 PM
    Try resetting the BIOS. Worth a try.
    Whelkman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2004, 02:32 PM
    This is a widespread issue with the Presario 5000 line, as demonstrated:

http://www.complaints.com/july2002/c....july11.35.htm
    http://www.shearologist.com/mobo.html
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...15,pg,8,00.asp

I have one on the office right now with the same problem and we've had several of these machines in the past. Compaq wants $240 for a replacement motherboard. I recommend calling them up and demanding a free replacement else you'll spread the word about how terrible their computers are.
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2005, 10:38 PM
    Best bet is to avoid compaq
    Whelkman is right. Those 3 sites he listed will tell you the whole story. Check out the PC brand comparison survey results at botom of

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...15,pg,8,00.asp.

Compaq PC has got to be the mother of all mother worst PC.period. And there customer service is just as bad. Even my friend's friend who's a Compaq sales rep/tech says to stay away from compaq PC. Yours best bet is to ditch your compaq PC, because there will sure to be tons more prob down the road, except the HDD, of course. A crashed HDD can still be saved, for example, put it in as a slave drive in another PC. If you are not able to save the data on the HDD, please ask a good tech friend to do it for you. If you still would like to go with brand names, I recommend DELL (they have some local showrooms), or E-machines. Yes, E-machines are inexpensive, but the high price you pay for a compaq PC does not mean quality one single bit. Or if you like to order online, may I suggests some of the places I go to:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv

http://www.motherboards.com

Htp://www.pricewatch.com
    Whelkman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2005, 12:09 AM
    By the way, try unplugging the IDE cables. Imagine my surprise when the unit powers on only when the hard drive is disconnected.

If your unit exhibits this bizarre behavior, perhaps you can kick start it back to life with a peripheral hard drive controller (but your motherboard is still fried).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compaq Presario cases ? [ 3 Answers ]

Are the cases for the Compaq Presario 5204 proprietary like the ones for Dell used to be. I have a motherboard that I want to install in a friends system and I need to know if it will fit. The mobo is based off the Intel 845G ATX chipset.

Compaq Presario [ 3 Answers ]

Compact Presairo computer does not want to accept NEC Multi Sync LCD1530V flatscreen . Tells me Video Input is Out of Range. H: 53.7 kHz V 95.1 Hz. The unfortunate part is that it runs Windows ME... yes I know sad isn't it... but it was given to me for free, so I can't complain. Any idea's on how...

Compaq Presario vs. Sony Vaio [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I just bought a Compaq Presario 6027US for $80. It's a Pentium 4 Processor, 2.0 GHz, 512 Mb, PC 2100 DDR Total System Memory. It's 3 years old. Here's what confuses me, my laptop of about the same years is a Sony Vaio PCGFXA63. And this compaq presario is either equal to or better in...

Compaq Presario Monitor.. please help? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok,here's what's happened.. Or so I know of. My family bought my grnadmother a computer for her b-day last year.She has not had it too long. Recently when you boot the computer,the monitor goes straight to sleep mode. The button is not green,it is orange,and the keyboard lights dim as well....

Help With A Compaq Presario 5000 [ 3 Answers ]

Hey everybody, my old neighbor gave me a compaq presario 5000 desktop before he left(no monitor,guides etc... just "the box") the problem is that every time I turn it on it starts loading up but then the screen turns blue and there is ths message on it. "A problem has been detected & windows has...

View more questions Search