Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irene95 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2012, 07:03 PM
    How to get custody of my nephew
    My brother and his girlfriend are not good parents and well they should have never had a kid . Well my nephew is 5 years old and I spend most my time with him . His mother is reading most the time or doing something and well my brother is on a game almost all day and night . I might be a kid myself but I know I can do so much better for him .
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2012, 07:31 PM
    Go to Court and file for custody - be prepared to be denied unless you can prove the parents are a danger to the child, either emotionally or physically.

Are you able to provide financially for the child (which is pretty much a side issue)?

OR you can ask the parents to give you guardianship by signing the appropriate papers.

Reading all the time or being "on a game" all the time does not make them bad parents - unless I'm missing something. Perhaps they are somewhat neglectful but as 5 years old the child should be somewhat self sufficient and able to entertain himself when not in school.

How old are you?
    irene95 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2012, 06:33 PM
    I'm almost 17
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 5, 2012, 08:59 PM
    You're not going to get custody--someone still has custody of YOU!

I'd like to point out that my husband plays video games half the week after work, and I read all the time. We have a child. Reading and playing video games doesn't make you a bad parent--it makes you a person with interests outside of your child.

Is the child clean, well-fed, and cared for? If so, you have the wrong idea on what parenting is. I do not have to, nor do I, entertain my son constantly. In fact, he is playing on the floor in the same room as me, but he's doing his thing and I'm doing mine. I make sure he can't hurt himself, and check on him consistently, but I'm not constantly playing with him at all.

Is there more to this than what you originally said?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2012, 04:45 AM
    You are not going to get custody, so forget that idea. You will have to wait until you are, at least 18, and can prove you can financially provide for the child to even think of applying for custody.

But lets look at the situation. You say you spend most of your time with him. Do you live with your brother and his girlfriend? Do they have custody over you? Or do they lives with your parents all together? How old are your brother and his girlfriend? Does your brother work?

As asked, is the child healthy, properly fed and clothed? Is the only issue that his parents don't pay enough attention to him?

You need to provide more details here for us to help you further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to get custody of my nephew [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and myself are thinking about getting custody of our 3month old nephew, and I'm not sure how to get the ball rolling. My boyfriends younger brother and his 17yr old girlfriend just had a baby, which neither of them were really ready for. The girl and the baby are living at her drug...

How to get custody of my nephew [ 3 Answers ]

My sister is ill and her boyfriend, the father, is not a well suited father and his very choices he makes in his life make him unsuited.For instance, he is a drug abuser. My sister knows that I am going to try and get custody but her boyfriend, the father, does not. How can I get custody of my...

Custody of my nephew [ 1 Answers ]

18 months ago social services took my nephew at birth and placed him with us he has been with us ever since social services applied for a permanent order however they just lost in court and we had to return him to his biological mother who had already lost six other children permanently totally...

Custody of Nephew [ 1 Answers ]

I am 25, my boyfriend is 29, we live together in a large 3 bedroom house in the country. He works for a farmer and mowes cemetery. I work for a lumber yard designing kitchen, I have been there for 1 year, also work for the park district and a café during lunch hour. I have a great car, health...

Custody of my little nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew's girlfriend gave birth on Friday and dyfs took the baby because they found weed in the baby's blood and now I want to help by getting custody. How can I go about that.

View more questions Search