Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

Mar 1, 2012, 03:56 PM
    For Taxes how do I handle early withdrawal/closure of Roth IRA held for 1 month
    I opened a Roth IRA in July and closed it 1 month later selling the mutual funds and taking the cash as an early distribution (I'm younger than 59) with a loss of about $260. How do I handle this on the IRS tax form 1040? Is the original contribution(~$3500)deductible on line 50? How much of the final amount I received is taxable (for lines 15a and 15b)? On the 1099-R it says taxable amount not determined, distribution code J (early distribution from Roth IRA no known exception).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2012, 04:24 PM
    The distribution itself is NOT taxable because you funded it with after-tax dollars.

However, you MAY be subject to an early withdrawal penalty. WHY did you close it so soon afer opening the Roth IRA.

Mar 1, 2012, 04:42 PM
    Thanks for your response! I clicked "helpful"

The distribution itself is NOT taxable because you funded it with after-tax dollars.
    Could you clarify? Does that mean if the distribution included a profit then that profit would be taxable?

In answer to your question
    WHY did you close it so soon afer opening the Roth IRA.
    I thought my money would grow more and more quickly in individual stocks rather than mutual funds. Granted, it was only near the minimum amount required for opening an IRA but the estimated annual income for that same amount invested in individual stocks was/is much higher. Thanks again for your answer.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Mar 1, 2012, 08:43 PM
    You can treat a return of your contributions during the tax year that you withdraw before the deadline to file taxes to have not been contributed at all. The earnings would be subject to penalty, but you don't have any earnings. This is probably the simplest to do in this case. See the instructions for Form 8606 and Publication 590.

Alternately, you could consider it as contributing to a Roth IRA and then early-withdrawing it. The principal of direct contributions to a Roth IRA can always be withdrawn at any time without tax or penalty. So since you lost money, all of the withdrawal would be principal, and there cannot be any penalty.

Mar 1, 2012, 09:15 PM
    Very helpful response! Thank you.

Mar 12, 2012, 04:40 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 08:16 AM
    The return of contribution option noted by NewAcct does seem to be the best course of action.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Roth IRA early withdrawal [ 6 Answers ]

I opened Roth IRA account on 2006 and contributed few thousand and again contributed few thousand on 2007. Now I would like to withdraw from Roth IRA about $5000. Withdrawal doesnot fall in any of the specified categories mentioned in the early withdrawal condition. I want to withdraw for my...

Early withdrawal from Roth IRA [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to withdraw funds from a Roth IRA without a penalty for buying property on which to build my home? I am 49 years old.Thanks.

What are the taxes on early withdrawal from ira [ 1 Answers ]

What are the taxes on early withdrawl from ira

Taxes on Roth IRA withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to pay taxes on interest earned from a Roth IRA Withdrawl after age 65?

View more questions Search