Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ntalsmat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2012, 10:48 AM
    Can I be sued again from an insurance company after paying my restitution
    I was involved in the motorcycle accident in September of 2010, I was ordered to pay restitution so I did, now I received a letter saying that I'm being sued from the insurance company for 10,000 dollars and I need to respond within 30 days. I'm just wondering if they can possibly do that And garnish my wages And also I live in the different states 6000 miles from where is this happen. Any suggestions please I don't know what to do
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2012, 11:18 AM
    Were you ordered to pay restitution or compensation? They are two different things, and I can't see you being ordered to pay restitution in an accident case unless you somehow benefited from the accident.

Did you pay the victim or to the insurance company? Generally the insurance company is going to sue to you recover money they are out (paid in medical bills, repairs, damages, etc) due to you fault.

Mar 1, 2012, 11:26 AM
    Yes I was order to pay restitution. The restitution was paid to 1 of the victims. The court sent letters to all of the victims and only 1 of them showed up

Mar 1, 2012, 11:34 AM
    Onion the reason I was the restitution because I was charged up first with reckless driving And the prosecutor made me a deal If I pay restitution the court will drop off the charge and will charge me with just traffic violations
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2012, 06:00 PM
    The restitution was on the CRIMINAL charge. You can now be sued on CIVIL charges.

Which States are involved? Yes, a Judgment in one State can be enforced in another. Is an insurance company suing you for money it paid out in claims to your "victims" - or something else?

I'm a liability investigator in NY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you go to jail for not paying restitution? [ 3 Answers ]

In 2008 I got a DUI and injured a litle girl that I hit... I did my prison sentence and my In home detention and my probation and also paid all my fines and fees and drug and alcohol off.. Now I just owe the restitution to the victim and was wondering if I could go bacl to jail if I don't pay.. For...

I'm being sued by an insurance company, [ 3 Answers ]

I'm being sued by an insurance company, they say I fitted a stove wrongly and caused a fire, I know I didn't I have been doing this job over 7 yrs without any problems but if I am found guilty I don't have any money , my family and I are just living pay check to pay check , what will the courts do,...

Paying restitution [ 13 Answers ]

I just found out that my ex-husband has received five years probation and must pay 350,000 dollars for restitution for a crime he committed. How does paying restitution work? Especially when he has a menial job and can't even hardly afford to pay me child support? Would I loose my child...

Restitution paid can the offender get sued for more [ 4 Answers ]

Once the offender pays restitution can they get sued to pay reparations and more restitution for the same crime ?

I am being sued by a insurance company [ 10 Answers ]

My son was at a light the car hit my son from the back my son left the accident because he had no insurance and no license and now I am being sued by the other peoples insurance company for $10.560.00 how can I fight this

View more questions Search