Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    havingababy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Putting his name on birth certificate
    I am currently pregnant in Florida. My ex and I split shortly after we found out I was pregnant. I am unsure of whether to put his name in the birth certificate. My question is this...

If I put him on the birth certificate does that automatically give him rights over my child?

Can I give the baby his last name even if he refuses to sign the birth certificate when I give birth?
    sexybeasty Posts: 112, Reputation: 16

Feb 18, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by havingababy
    I am currently pregnant in Florida. My ex and I split shortly after we found out I was pregnant. I am unsure of whether or not to put his name in the birth certificate. My question is this...

If I put him on the birth certificate does that automatically give him rights over my child?

Can I give the baby his last name even if he refuses to sign the birth certificate when I give birth?
    Can you give more information? What are your reasons for wanting to keep the bio father out of the loop? Are they noble reasons or selfish reasons? Was this ex your ex husband or your ex boyfriend? Is there drug abuse involved? Is he an alcoholic?Is he abusive? If you give the whole story, I can better give you advice. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 18, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Whether his name is on the certificate or not doesn't change his rights OR responsibilities It just means he may have to go through the courts and a DNA test to prove parentage.

You don't need his permission or signature on the because. But, he can get sue to get his name off, if a DNA test proves he isn't the father.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 06:48 PM
    It does not matter from a legal standpoint if you put the father listed on the birth certificate or not, he has all the same legal rights either way, he may have to do a DNA test to prove it, but he can have all the same rights no matter what you list or not.

And again you can list him as the father, if he is the father, if there is doubt he can ask for a DNA test.

The name on the birth certificate gives no special or extra rights.
    threelittlepeas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2010, 01:58 PM
    I am 6 mo. Pregnant, I just divorced my husband because he is a deadbeat, he left my and my 1 yr. old son just before I found out I was pregnant again. I can't keep the baby, my sister and her husband are going to adot the baby. My question is, can I put my brother in laws name as the father on birth certificate at the hospital?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 02:42 PM

When did you divorce? Also your ex is the legal father no matter who the bio father is at this point. SO if you just want to create a pack of lies then do it. But the problem is you would be overstepping the law and can get in serious trouble. Facing fines and possible jail time. What does your divorce decree say about the child?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth certificate [ 5 Answers ]

As an adult is there any way to get your parents names off your birth certificate? Can that area of the birth certificate be blank?

Birth Certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I just received an updated copy of my husband's birth certificate, he will be retiring soon and needs to show proof of his birth date. On the certificate it shows his mother as being the lady who adopted him when he was in his 40's. (for legal purposes, estate and other) Is this done as a...

Adoptiin birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

If a stepfather adopts his step children they are issued with an adoption birth certificate with their new surname name on can they now use that one instead of their original birth certificate ?

Birth Certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I gave birth to my child but it wasn't my ex husband. We were separated for a while but we didn't get a divorce yet. In child birth certificate, there is no name on the father status because I was still married. Hospital left it blank because I was still married. Now that I'm divorce. I want the...

View more questions Search