Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Nov 26, 2004, 03:58 PM
    Timing belt on a Civic 91 - beat this!
    I just found out my Dad nor my brother ever changed a timing belt on my Honda Civic 91 DX (well, I call it "my honda", but I just got it from my brother about 2 weeks ago), and right now the car has a bit over 145k miles on it!

I'm afraid to start the car now. By the way, how much do you guys pay for a timing belt (with and without changing it in the shop) there in the USA? Here in Croatia it's about 70$ for the belt, and additional 80$ for swapping it. It seems a bit pricey, and I might even fight the low temperature outside and try and change it myself.

Anyway, and info would be great.

Kresho
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2005, 12:43 AM
    Mines going over a million and a half since I got it, more from the original owner, on the original timing chain. 1980 caprice 267 v8 :D of course I had a 2.3liter olds, not the 350 v8 I had but the 2.3 and well it went for 600k miles till it broke. No problems up to then but of course I know that hondas use crappy belts, and well I have to say even in their power equipment, they always break after a while and they break easily. I wonder why they don't use something better :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2005, 05:25 AM
    Yeah, get it changed as soon as you can. Not sure what the belts run, but the labor sounds cheap compared to what I hear.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Feb 22, 2005, 07:50 AM
    Aye, well, got it replaced like long ago... I wish I had a garage. I'd do it myself.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2005, 12:21 PM
    Yeah they are a pain in the rear. I have really no idea why they don't go to something more reliable :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 accord... timing belt... you geussed it! [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 93 Honda Accord ex. I am replacing a "broken" timiing belt. Everything is off except for harmonic balancer pulley bolt. I have heard that when a belt breaks there is more to do than simply follow the manual to install new belt. I am 95% sure the head is not damaged. My main question is:...

A timing belt question(novice please help) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am going to buy a 93 civic from a big dealer and now the mechanis are doing the safety checking. I asked them to check the timing belt, I wonder if they can find out if timing belt has been changed by last owner. And I checked the history of the car It has been done for lots of vehicle...

Civic timing belt [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a student with no cash. I've got a 90 Civic Si with 188,000 miles and I know the timing belt needs to be replaced but I can't afford it. Does any one know if this model is interference type or a freewheeling type, or how I can find out. I'm not that worried about getting stranded if it...

Honda Accord 92 timing belt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I bought Honda Accord 92 from Carmax at 68,000 miles. It is now 102,000 miles. Is the timing belt due at this time. I am not sure if the previous owner changed the timing belt or not. Thanks Jay

Timing belt [ 1 Answers ]

I think it may be my timing belt. I have a 92 honda accord ex. The other day I was driving home and my yellow light came on, I looked it up in my manual and it said it was an emission light. But the car continued to run OK. So I drove it home, about 20 miles and it ran fine. The other day I...

View more questions Search