Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2012, 01:07 PM
    When is the best time to start getting your pool ready for next season?
    I have an inground pool, unheated, in Los Angeles. I prefer it to be right around 90 degrees before I splash in, but others in the house can handle 85. For the winter, I shock it every other week to keep algae at bay, clean out the worst of the leaves, etc.

The pool person is "fired" from November until March, normally, but I was wondering if anyone with pool maintenance experience can tell me the best way to handle "off-season"; and when the "season" begins.

One last issue, has anyone tried those solar blankets and do they work? I am not going to pay for a gas or electric pool heater, just wondering if they can extend the swimming season.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 28, 2012, 02:11 PM
    Cliff:

I have some experience with in ground pools in both TX (outside of Dallas) and NJ. In NJ we do a full winterization, but in TX for the winter we would pretty much just leave the pool alone - we would run the pool motor a few hours a day (more if the temp got down into the 30's to keep lines from freezing), shock it every week or so, and generally skim leaves - just as you describe. Then when it warmed up it was simply a matter of adjusting the chemistry and adding chemicals in accordance with what the local pool supply store said to do. We never used a pool service except for winterizing the pool in NJ - the rest is so easy that I never saw a reason to pay someone else to do it. Same reason why I don't have a chaueffeur.

As for a solar blanket - yes, it will extend the season a week or two. They work pretty well, especially at retaining heat on cold clear nights. But they can be a bit of a pain - you have to pull the blanket off in an "accordian" fashion, which can be done by one person but is a lot easier with two.

You say it must be 90 for you to go in - I assume you mean air temp, not water temp! If you're OK to start the season when the pool water gets to 75 or so (a bit nippy for some, but kids love it) you should be able to get the pool to that temp once you have a few days in the mid 80's.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pool player wanting to start a pool hall in indianapolis [ 1 Answers ]

Simply; if anyone reading this is interested in starting a pool hall in indianapolis please reply. My name is lucas I have been around pool for over ten years and I currently work at a pool hall on the east side. My funds are low but, my will is high. I have several good ideas. Contact me...

I Ready To Start A New Life! [ 2 Answers ]

In California if there is no custody agreement can I move my child out of state.

She says she is not ready for a full time relationship [ 4 Answers ]

I have been with this girl for about a year now, doing all kind of activities. After a few months she signaled me that she was interested in taking it further, however, due to my personal circumstances I indicated that I could not have relationship in that time, as I might have to go abroad at any...

I'm ready for sex, but I'm not at the same time. [ 12 Answers ]

I want to have sex but I'm afrais of the consiquences. When I think about it. I want it sooo bad. But I don't want to end up with a kid. I'm really tired of waiting. And so id my boyfriend. But he respects me enough to wait until I'm ready. But I'm ready just not ready for a kid. ...

View more questions Search