Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2012, 09:24 AM
    My workers comp case that I had to get a lawyer for took about 10 years to reach a final settlement. It happened in the back of the court room minutes before we were to start court.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2012, 10:00 AM
    Is there a problem with the extent of your injuries, whether you have reached your maximum healing? I never understand the long delays. I am personally aware of a case in NY which took 4 years from the date of all parties agreeing that maximum healing had been reached.

You are paying for legal counsel - I'd push and push and push, not for a date but for an answer.

The "money" in WC cases is in volume. You can't make a living on 1 case a week so you are probably 1 of many. That does NOT mean that your voice shouldn't be heard. The Attorney works for you. Ultimately "you" pay him (in an around, about way).

I'd push for an answer. If there is a missing piece of the puzzle, find out what it is and address it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 1, 2012, 10:17 AM
    Comp is such a racket. The carriers don't want to pay without dragging it out as long as they can, and they wait for claimants to slip up and be seen to be not permanently disabled. Lawyers make deals behind your back that may not be to your benefit. It works both ways, because of the claimants who are either outright frauds with shady doctors or who manage to make a living doing work they aren't supposed to be able to physically do.
    This is unsubstantiated but I am just throwing it in as part of the commonly heard explanation.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2012, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Comp is such a racket. The carriers don't want to pay without dragging it out as long as they can, and they wait for claimants to slip up and be seen to be not permanently disabled. Lawyers make deals behind your back that may not be to your benefit. It works both ways, because of the claimants who are either outright frauds with shady doctors or who manage to make a living doing work they aren't supposed to be able to physically do.
    This is unsubstantiated but I am just throwing it in as part of the commonly heard explanation.

Joy, sooner or later we had to disagree... and this is it!

If a lawyer makes a "behind your back" deal, then report him/her to the Bar Association. It's unethical, it hurts the profession.

I hear these complaints all the time when people don't understand particular laws or situations. I cannot speak for insurance companies and Physicians but I CAN speak for Attorneys. To "sell your client short," settle for less, hurts everyone - including the Attorney.

I actually get complaints about my work - why I can't get someone to say someone else was at fault, why I can't prove that a husband or wife was cheating, why I can't get someone to admit something. Because I can't put words in someone's mouth. You need to be in a profession to understand it.
    capgirl49 Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Mar 6, 2012, 09:47 AM
    I appreciate all your comments but I guess I am hoping to hear from someone who went through a very close scenario. This was a construction neck injury, he had the surgery.. he has a permanent disab "rating".. he clearly will not be in the same capacity, construction wise.. to continue anything close to what he did before. He does not want any more surgery whatsoever.. he wants to settle and get vocational training, retraining if you will,. from settlement as well. He is 50 yrs old. Construction and all its typical injuries is really not the career option any longer. (This is his major skill set though.. 20 plus years in all phases of construction)

Our sense is the lawyers is simply too damn busy and does not report anything to us unless there is a definitive new paper/filing development. We leave messages and we do not hear back. Etc

Thanks for all your interest and replies!

Construction Wife
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2012, 12:36 PM
    You'd pretty much have to find a message/chat board to locate someone with the same situation. I know that WC will not settle until the total extent of the injuries is known AND the injured party has exhausted all treatment options.

I work in the legal field. I'd make an appointment and talk to the Attorney face to face. HE (or she) works for you, not the other way around.

I know it's a frustrating process.

EDIT: Once again I don't understand the "dislike" which both Joy and I got. I work in the legal field. I work on WC cases. I know how the system works. Okay, I'm not a man who worked construction for X number of years and now needs to be retrained. I don't think that disqualifies me from knowing the law - one person's experience is not the experience of another person.
    current pert

Mar 6, 2012, 02:24 PM
    capgirl49, perhaps you don't understand how an unhelpful vote works here - it doesn't mean 'tell me more or I don't agree;' it's for incorrect information. When you 'neg' people, they don't want to come back. Even Fr_Chuck, who might have talked more about this, may be reluctant to say another peep to you.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2012, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    capgirl49, perhaps you don't understand how an unhelpful vote works here - it doesn't mean 'tell me more or I don't agree;' it's for incorrect information. When you 'neg' people, they don't want to come back. Even Fr_Chuck, who might have talked more about this, may be reluctant to say another peep to you.

It certainly keeps other people from chiming in on this - and other threads.
    capgirl49 Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Mar 6, 2012, 08:52 PM
    Sorry about the unhelpful ratings.. you are right I did not know how such a vote works here.. I apologize. I certainly do not want to turn anybody off from replying. I appreciate all the feedback. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2012, 09:13 PM
    The issue is you see this as simple, but it is not, first they have to agree about his medical condition, then percent of disability ( just that issue can take years) At that point, the max paymment for that percent disability. Since there is disability to do your job, and disability to do any job.

So your simple ( what you believe is very complicated)
    pepperosa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 09:41 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I've had four surgeries and want to settle my comp case. I should have another, but don't want it because I hear you must wait a year after a surgery to settle. Any truth in that? I just want out of the system, I hate being lumped in with all the fakers.
    bigdenny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2012, 04:47 PM
    I got one for you all I went on workers comp then 3 weeks later I get a letter saying I am fired that been almost two years and my lawyer and I still haven't got to a hearing yet .We haven't gotton all the depositions yet they keep stalling ,what you all think I should do
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2012, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdenny View Post
    I got one for you all I went on workers comp then 3 weeks later i get a letter saying i am fired that been almost two years and my lawyer and i still havent got to a hearing yet .We havent gotton all the depositions yet they keep stalling ,what you all think I should do
    There is a federal law against retaliation for filing a workman's comp claim... the burden of proof will be on them to prove it wasn't... and it will be very easy to show it was a factor.

It's a MUCH easier case to win I hear... You would have an easy time finding a Lawyer to represent you for that.
    baddmatt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2013, 03:29 PM
    Well I have a question, how long does it take to get a first offer from a workmans comp case?
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2013, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by baddmatt View Post
    Well i have a question, how long does it take to get a first offer from a workmans comp case?
    Read the above posts.
    mariancook35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2013, 12:07 PM
    I was inured on my job June 28, 2013. Went to the doctor and was told it was a sprain actually I'm sure it's a torn rotator cuff. I am still injured and unable to perform my regular job. Their was no light duty not anything suitable so I had to quit and hire an Attorney. The insurance company has postponed my discovery hearing four times without an explanation. My attorney isn't informing me of anything. How long can they drag it out before getting me to a doctor?
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2013, 01:30 PM
    Read this thread... they can do it for a very long time.
    current pert

Dec 20, 2013, 01:40 PM
    mariancook35, you should start a new thread instead of adding to an old one.
    But your sprain or torn cuff or going to be treated as small potatoes and dragged out forever, if they can, especially when you were told it was just a sprain. Six months is a long time to have an untreated rotator cuff. What are you doing about it besides waiting, and who is supporting you? What's your medical insurance situation that you can't get treatment? You may be denied WC and need to be prepared for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Workmans Comp [ 1 Answers ]

Workmans Compensation, can an employer legally fire you once you have filed a claim?

Workmans Comp [ 2 Answers ]

When you tell your lawyer that he is to except the settlement and he call workmans comp. and they set up a meeting with a judge at a state building. Can I at this time object to the agreement that workmans comp has agreed too?

Workmans comp [ 6 Answers ]

The medical practice doesn't carry workmans comp insurance. Can/is the employer responsible for paying medical bills associated with a clear on the job injury/ incident? An example would be: an employee who has just drawn blood on a patient who is known to have HIV, Hep C has accidentally stuck...

Workmans comp [ 11 Answers ]

I was recently hurt on the job and suffered a broken wrist resulting in about 50-60 percent loss of use of my wrist and some loss of finger motion.My question is there a compensation settlement because of any permanent damage to me. I have been with this company for 22 plus years and they have been...

Workmans comp [ 4 Answers ]

If I am on workmans comp. and still working but with weight restrictions am I able to get a part time job, with out messing up my claim

View more questions Search