Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flymanansh Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 05:11 PM
    Tuition and fees deduction for Oregon tax
    Hi

I am working on the Oregon State tax return.
    As for the line 18 (other subtraction), I am kind of confused about the
    Instruction for this line. The instruction is as follows

Did you claim the American opportunity or lifetime learning
    Credit on your federal return? If so, you were not allowed a federal tuition
    And fees deduction because you claimed the federal credit. Because Oregon
    Does not have credits similar to the American opportunity or lifetime learning credits, you can subtract the federal tuition and fees deduction on your Oregon return up to the amount you would have been allowed on your federal return. You can claim the lesser of $4,000 or your actual expenses.

I have claimed lifetime learning credit for federal return( tuition:$960. Credit: 960*20%=$192). So my understanding is that I can't claim this deduction for state return. But the H&R software I used for the state return put the tuition and fee deduction ($960) on line 18 as other subtraction. Was my understanding wrong?

Thanks.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 29, 2012, 06:46 AM
    The instruction says that if you took the opportinity or lifetime credit on your federeal return (and hence were not allowed to take a deduction for tuition and fees) you can take a deduction on your Oregon tax return. So that's what TaxCut is doing - taking the deduction. It seems to be doing exactly what it should.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Spring 2008 college tuition get Federal Education Tax deduction [ 1 Answers ]

We had paid my wife's 2008 spring college tuition on 12/15/2007 by credit card as requested by her college. We didn't claim that on our 2007 tax. Since it was for her 2008spring semster. Can we claim this tuition on our 2008 tax as education tax. Can we get any deduction on our 2008 Tax return ? ...

Can I claim 2006 Tuition Fees on 2007 Tax Return [ 3 Answers ]

I received Form 1098-T for 2006 after I had filed my taxes last year. (2006). I wanted to know if I will be able to claim my 2006 1098-T, along with my 2007 1098-T, on my 2007 Tax Return ? If so, how ? :)

Tax Deduction/Credit for wife's tuition fee on H-4 visa. [ 10 Answers ]

I am currently working in US on H1 visa. My wife (on H-4 visa) is enrolled at a university and is pursuing graduate studies. Can I claim Lifetime Learning Credit or tuition fee deduction for the fee that I paid last year? Also, do I need form 1098-T from the university to do that? My wife...

Tuition and Fees Deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, First of all, thank you for taking time in providing solutions for tax related issues. Here is my situation and question: I am filing resident 1040 MFJ return. In 2005, I have paid $12000 to a university for my MBA course. My employer reimbursed me $3000 out of the $12000. I am...

Tuition fees deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was on F1 in 2003 and 2004 and now on h1b. I did not claim any eductaion expense tax benefit while I was on F1. So far I paid school fees from my own pocket. Can I claim tuition fees deduction while filing this years return?

View more questions Search