Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Christianh0816 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 04:41 PM
    what is the volume of the bubble at the surface of this problem
    a bubble of gas with a volume of 1.20 cm3 is released under water. As it rises to the surface, the temperature of the bubble increases from 27 C to 54 C and the pressure is cut to one-third of its initial value. What is the volume of the bubble at the surface.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Feb 27, 2012, 09:16 PM
    The ideal gas law says PV=nrT, which can be rewritten as PV/T = nr. Since the right hand side of that equation is a constant (the number of moles of gas is not changing), the left-hand side must remain unchanged as the bubble rises.

Hence, you can say PV/T(underwater) = PV/T(surface).

P underwater is p.
    P at the surface is p/3.

T underwater is 27C, or 300K.
    T at the surface is 54C, or 327K.

V underwater is 1.2 cm^3.
    V at the surface is??

Just plug in the values and solve for V at the surface.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hexagonal surface area and volume [ 5 Answers ]

How to calculate the surface area and volume of a hexagonal prism?

Bubble like surface inside lips of vagina [ 2 Answers ]

Just wondering if it is normal to have little bubble like bumps covering the inside of the lips of my vagina, they aren't present on the clitorus or anywhere around the opening, just under the surface of the lips? They are not painful and not blister like and I haven't experienced itching or...

Volume and surface area of octagon [ 2 Answers ]

If a shape of pool will be octagon and perimeter is 480 feet and height is 5feet what's the surface area and volume?

Surface Area and Volume [ 1 Answers ]

I am supposed to type a two and a half page paper on what surface area and volume is used for in many occupations. I have started on it and don't think I can go into enough detail to make it as long as it is supposed to be. What should I do?

Volume and surface area [ 1 Answers ]

A cylindrical can is to have the area of its curved surface equal to thesum of the areas of its base and its top. What must be the relation between the height and diameter of this can?

View more questions Search