Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 02:21 PM
    USMLE fees, h1b attorney fees
    I am on a H1b visa in the US... my wife is a physician who is writing USMLE exams to get a residency in US... I was wondering if I can deduct all the usmle exam fees + costs of applying to residency programs (close to $5000) as expenses on my taxes?

I also paid for the attorney fees to get my h1b processed. I was wondering if these fees are tax deductible ? If I paid the fees in 2005 can I claim them for 2006 taxes?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 06:36 PM
    The H-1B fees are deductible only as employee business expenses, which will require that you itemize to claim them. You can only deduct the fees in the year you paid them.

The same logic applies to the USMLE fees and residency application costs; I believe that they are valid emplyee business expenses. However, as noted above, you have the same restrictions in that you MUST itemize to claim them.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].
    miguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Thanks for your reply Atlantaexpert. You mentioned "you believe the usmle fees are valid emplyee business expenses"... Are you 100% sure? Can you point me to an IRS publication that says that?. I do itemize my deductions every year.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 01:32 AM
    Upon further consideration, the USMLE fee is considered an expense for initial qualification for a profession and would NOT be deductible.

Sorry!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 1, 2010, 07:33 PM

No you can not deduct usmle exam fees + costs of applying to residency programs.
    Also you can not deduct attorney fees for H1-B.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Job related expenses - H1B renewal/legal fees [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I paid legal/INS fees for my H1B extension in 2006. This came out of my 2006 income earned in the us... can I claim the visa fees a work related deductible? And the legal fees as a legal expense for "doing or keeping my job" ? Thank uuu

College application fees and testing fees as tax deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Are the fees we are paying for our son to apply to various colleges tax deductable? Also, what about the money paid to take ACT ; SAT and AP tests? And, th emoney spent requesting these scores be sent to the universities being applied to?

Claiming real estate attorney fees on taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim my attorney fees from a real estate attorney that I had last year. What the sisuation was that my husband and I purchased a house that was defective from the builder, but he was not going down easy to say the least. :mad: We had over a year of attorney fees and two years of fighting...

Claiming Attorney fees from Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am a first time home buyer. Last year when I purchased the house, I paid attorney fees. During Purchase and Sale I paid $150 to one Real estate attorney and during Closing I paid $600 to another attorney + $25 postage charges to closing attorney. My question is can I claim these expenses as...

Fees [ 2 Answers ]

Can the opposing attorney charge interest on money awarded on court costs? In California thanks

View more questions Search