Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Liam33Isaac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2012, 05:29 PM
    Am I weak for wanting to kill myself?
    I plan to commit suicide in a few days time, I haven't told anyone about it because I don't want them to interfere. I just have had everything in my life turn to ****. I failed at school, I got laid off from my job, my girlfriend has left me and makes me feel even lower about myself everyday, and my family think I'm a disappointment. I've alienated myself from my friends as I'm too ashamed of how low I've become compared to them. So I have no one I can talk to about my feelings and problems, only my ex and she doesn't seem to even care if I die. Its like I am a burden to have around! I'm only 18 and I hate my life, I want it to end. But is that weakness, Giving up on life so early? I know its extreme to want to end your own life, I myself used to frown upon it. But my life has gone to hell and I have made my choice, relief from this loneliness and suffering is what I want.

Liam {Name removed}
    Happy2balive Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 06:35 AM
    Liam please don't do this. You are so young and things always, always have a way of working out. You have to believe this, and believe in yourself too. Things may not seem great right now but life has a lot to offer--just wait and see!

There were times in my life when I was younger that I felt there was no hope too and as you can see from my avatar and name I am so glad to be here now. More people love and care about you than you know.

By the way, my mother did commit suicide when I was little and we would have given anything to have her back. We've all missed her all of our lives.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 06:43 AM
    Yes, I would say you are weak, wanting to commit suicide. Actually it is a coward's way out, opting to end it instead of facing issues and defeating them. Pick yourself up, give yourself a shake and find the courage to start over again. Your life is worth more.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2012, 07:14 AM
    I don't understand what you want from us here at AMHD or, for that matter, why you even posted this. Your mind is made up. No one can change your mind.

Yes, I think it's a coward's way out and I think you should see a Physician for your depression and/or need for attention.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 07:50 AM
    You think you're the only one that ever faces problems? Many people face huge problems and terrible lives every day yet they keep going. I guarantee that your life is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be... I bet if you step back and look at it, it's not as bad as you think.

Cowards and p***ies kill themselves. It takes guts and strength to keep going. Give it a chance... you're 18... there's plenty of time for things to improve.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2012, 07:54 AM
    There is only one reason why you would post this here. That's (hopefully) because you haven't made up your mind and you are looking for someone to talk you out if it.

So yes, it is the cowardly way. You are only 18 and, while I'm sure it feels to you that you have nothing to live for, you are only 18! Has there never been good times in your life? Weren't there good times with your ex? Don't you want a chance to experience those good times again?

If you really need someone to talk to, there are local hot lines you can research. If you want to let us know your general location, we may be able to point you to some. They will listen to you and help you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 10:09 AM
    You seem to want a way out of this, but you say you don't want to tell anyone because they would interfere. Of course they would. They'd get you the help you need.

Suicide is the cowards way out. It's so easy to give up. It's a lot harder to make changes and better your life.

So you're failing at school. Take extra courses, work harder, go to summer school to make up the classes you're failing. It's not the end of the world, and there is something you can do about it.

So your ex doesn't want you in her life. We've all been there. I know it hurts, and sometimes it feels like that pain will never go away, but it does. You just have to find a way to move on.

Why not reach out to your friends, talk to them, let them know that you're going through a rough time and you could use some support.

There are tons of options to making your life better. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Mar 27, 2012, 12:20 AM
    One thing I can say - you are not alone in feeling discouraged. So many people are hurting these days. I do not think you are weak - I think you are emotionally hurt and you just want the pain to stop. Many young people think that ending their life is the answer - and they are wrong. You deserve to give yourself a chance - not tell yourself you are going to kill yourself. It is already hard and then on top of it - you hurt yourself more by telling yourself you are going to kill yourself. Nothing could be more important than you - no problem is bigger than you. Give up the idea that killing yourself is the answer to life problems. What you need is re-assurance that everything is going to work out - and you need to stop being so hard on yourself. Go forward with courage and in knowing that other people will help you along the way. Seek answers, pray, ask, - and keep going.
    Uber Member

May 1, 2012, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I don't understand what you want from us here at AMHD or, for that matter, why you even posted this. Your mind is made up. No one can change your mind.

Yes, I think it's a coward's way out and I think you should see a Physician for your depression and/or need for attention.

For this I got a disagree because I'm wrong? It's not a coward's way out? That puts suicide in the "good idea" category?

I have to note several people said exactly the same thing I said. I'm the only one who got a "disagree." Have to wonder who has an ax to grind.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 1, 2012, 06:35 AM
    For this I got a disagree because I'm wrong? I.
    Note to LoveTheMusic. The purpose of a Negative rating is when someone posts something that is factually incorrect. Its to point out that fact. A thread like this is based on opinion. While you may disagree with Judy's opinion, it is a valid one.

If you want to disagree with her opinion then add a response to the thread discussing your disagreement. Giving an negative rating is inappropriate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2012, 06:47 AM
    18, you have no idea what real failure is even about. Are you homeless, are you eating out of the trash cans for your lunch meal. Were you gang raped as you had to sleep behind a trash can last night.

Most of your problems are those you caused for yourself, you failed at school, so >>> what, did not say high school or college classes. If high school, you either go back or go to a night school, or do your GED, and move on. Is there a reason you failed, perhaps you did not spend enough time ? So you are laid off from a job, welcome to 1/2 of the USA ( if that is where you are at) Unemployment says it is at 12 percent or so, but that is because another 20 percent or so have just stopped looking for a job. Jobs are tough, so you start looking and find another job, will not be easy, but you find one. Perhaps you broke up with the girlfriend because you were feeling too sorry for yoruself, or she just wanted to be with someone who was working to pay bills, ( if so, you are better off without her) So now you have all the fun in dating again, different women and experience some life.

Yes you are looking at this wrong, this is a great chance to reinvent yourself, and start new.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 1, 2012, 06:49 AM
    If you really wanted to die you wouldn't care what anyone thought. I'm not saying you don't feel absolutely horrible. I'm saying you sound like you actually do want to be talked out of it.

I personally don't like throwing words like coward at suicidal people, who already feel rotten enough. I also don't like the old 'so you think you have it bad' routine either. Plus I don't think suicide per se is cowardly.

In fact, I think if other people weren't so condemning, some of the grief, loneliness, and guilt would lift, and in a ironic twist, suicidal people would feel better about themselves. Not having to sneak around furtively takes a bit of the awfulness away.

Liam, I think a key remark you made is that you have alienated your friends because you are ashamed. If a friend can't take you in the state you are in, then what kind of a friend is he? Or better put, why can't you let your friends take you as you are, which they very well might be wanting to do? You don't have to tell your tales of woe for hours on end, but they can drag you around to their houses and places they go to, not trying to cheer you up, just sort of gathering you in. Ask them to.
    Uber Member

May 1, 2012, 07:30 AM
    Joy, I respectfully disgree. This person actually posted his full name. That isn't about suicide. That's about attention. When it's posted as "I plan to commit suicide in x days" I figure why would anyone take the time to post?

This was posted in February - now, more than 2 months later it's still an ongoing conversation with everyone BUT the OP.

A lot of people, maybe everyone, has low times, bad times, sad times. Survivors do that, they survive. That's not minimizing the OP's personal anguish. It's a statement of fact. Times get rough. Other people have it worse. Pull yourself together and go on. Other people have.

- and it's entirely possible he's burned out his friends.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 1, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Ah, I didn't see the date. And a post seems to have been removed.
    We don't even know if Liam killed himself or not, 2 months later.
    Cries for attention don't always mean that the suicide doesn't go through.
    I don't think we are at odds with each other all that much, but I do have a different view of this subject as far as condemnation goes.
    Uber Member

May 1, 2012, 08:30 AM
    No problem - and I don't think either one of us is looking for a clone.

Always like what you have to say and the way you express it, whether I agree.

Group hug, group hug.
    wahmelon1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 05:24 AM
    Talk to someone like a counselor, or a priest, even if you're not religious, their job is to listen and discuss matters like yours. I went to a counselor a couple of times for depression, it's actually great to have someone listen to you with an open mind, even if it is their job.

Short term, get out of the house and go down to a park or something for as long as you need.
    mrmcaciii Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jun 15, 2012, 09:17 PM
    Hi Liam. You are only 18 years old. You haven't even lived yet. So much more to experience. True love.Your own children and Grand Children, etc. There is no greater joy then to be a part of those blessings. No, you are not weak. It takes strength to reach out and that is what you are doing now. I myself have had many tough obstacles in my life. I had a son commit suicide when he was only 26. It practically destroyed me and the entire family. His sister and brothers were never the same. I have never been the same as my heart cries for him every day and it has been 20 years ago. He thought that he was a burden on everyone when he was just carrying the burden of the feelings and emotions that we all must learn to carry in life. . What people don't understand, is that it truly is a selfish thing to do. Are you a selfish person? Are you spiritual or have any religion in your life? I am a spiritual person and my creator whom I choose to call "God" saved me from the ugly slow death of alcohol and drugs 26 years ago. I became a certified addictions counselor almost 20 years ago. Trust me when I tell you that suicide is not the answer. We all go through life with many challenges and choices. There is truly only one unforgivable sin.(my understanding) and that is to turn your back on God. That means that you don't trust him to help you through your trials and tribulations. Give it a try. He knows your needs before you ask anyway. Nothing happens in Gods world ny mistake. God doesn't make mistakes... We do.
    Look into taking some classes to help others that feel the same way you do. Learn how to help save a life... Not end one. Anyone can do that

God Bless you
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2012, 06:10 AM
    Please - if you want to preach take it over to the religious forums. Not everyone on this site believes in your God.

Perhaps preaching about religion helps the people you counsel - that doesn't really work here.
    mrmcaciii Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jun 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
    Please - if you want to preach take it over to the religious forums. Not everyone on this site believes in your God.

Perhaps preaching about religion helps the people you counsel - that doesn't really work here.
    Well, Miss Judy. My way has helped save many young persons lives. Belief or non-belief. When someone reaches out, many avenues can be suggested. I think it rude of you to respond in this manner. I am an expert in griel and loss. Are you? Have a wonderful day
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2012, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmcaciii View Post
    Well, Miss Judy. My way has helped save many young persons lives. Belief or non-belief. When someone reaches out, many avenues can be suggested. I think it rude of you to respond in this manner. I am an expert in griel and loss. Are you? Have a wonderful day

No, I'm not an expert in griel. I was widowed, however. Does that count as having been there instead of just talking about it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Feeling very weak. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, My mum has told me in the last month she has be feeling very weak. She goes for a run 3-4 times a week and has done for a few years now but she's saying she's even struggling with that now and is having to walk the majority. She had a hysterectomy about 5 years ago and is 50yrs old. She's...

Older toilets -- weak swirl, weak flush [ 24 Answers ]

Hope someone can help. Our toilets are original to the house, 20-plus years old. When flushed, the swirl isn't strong enough to completely flush the bowl. The bowl does NOT overflow, but it has to be flushed multiple times. We have very hard water where we live, despite having a regularly...

What can help my weak stomach? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, My name is Alix, I am a 20 year old female and I have a very very sensitive stomach. I am not pregnant, I have no STI's and the doctor would not see anything wrong with my stomach after I explained to him my situation other than a mild case of "IBS". Now, my concern here is that...

Girlfriend went from wanting the relationship to not wanting anything so serious [ 11 Answers ]

A little confused right now, because we've been in a relationship for 4 months now and she is just now saying she doesn't want a serious relationship now, because she doesn't want to have to be completely committed to a relationship 24/7. Saying that she would like to be able to have time to do...

View more questions Search