Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dw409 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2004, 10:17 AM
    New kitten
    I adopted a kitten from a shelter 6 days ago. She is in my bedroom and I have put food out for her and a kitty litter pan. She uses the pan and eats all her food but I never see her. I think she is hiding under my bed, but I can't find her. I go in the room and read to her and talk to her, but I never see her. Is there any hope? What can I do to make this kitty come out of hiding? I'm being really patient, but am I doing anything wrong? Help!! If anyone can advise me I would really appriciate it. I really want this kitten to be a part of my family but she is so shy. Has anyone had this experience?:( Debbie
    Steevo Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2004, 03:25 AM
    It sounds like she is a little unsure and or untrusting of you at this stage of the relationship, in time she should come around.

Food is a good settler and for a house cat it becomes a means to trust. Perhaps when it's dinner time put her food down and then sit down and read your book, speak to her, call her name, tell her she's a "good girl", stuff like that.. also make sure you use a pleasant, calming or reassuring tone of voice while she's getting to know you.

If you can get close enough to her, put some food on your finger for her to lick off.. make sure you have sufficient to do it again and again all the while saying "good girl.." in the reassuring tone... maybe bringing your hand closer to your body each time so she comes closer and closer to you.

You could always play games with her... get a piece wool or string about 1.5 metres or or say 4 feet long and tease her out of hiding. A ping pong ot table tennis ball can be hours of fun if you have tiles or a hard floor.

Does she cry out if she is alone in a closed room.. if she does try calling her name, she should cry in reply.. call out back and forth a few times then go to her.. this will help her to trust you and understand you will come to her if/when she needs help... and in return she will love you.

My first cat just wanted to hide for the first few weeks and we did pretty much all of the above, she is still quite a timid cat but only in relation to other people, for us she is well and truly over her fears.

I hope some part of this helps.

Good luck

Steve
    siamesekittens4sale Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2004, 11:56 AM
    Maybe
    I agree with steve. Also try picking her up and petting her. Let her know your not going to hurt her. She should come around eventually. I rescued a kitten one time that was starving the other two kittens and mother was in the pound she was left alone in an alley and I brought her home. She would only come out at night and when she did she stalked through the house close to the walls. She never did come around she was always scared. Her eyes would get real big when you entered the room and she would run off and hide and would poop in all different places even when the litter pan was there. I hope this doesn't happen. After 8 months. I paid the shelter $15.00 to come and get her. They said she was just an unfriendly cat and that placement was probably not going to be an option. I did my best. Good Luck!
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Dec 6, 2004, 11:03 AM
    Hello Debbie,

I highly recommend putting a Feliway: Comfort Zone plug-in in the room where she stays. Feliway is a phermone naturally produced by cats and it makes them feel calm and happy. It could make her transition easier.

Also, putting a couple drops of Rescue Remedy in fresh water daily will help. Rescue Remedy is an herbal calmative found at many health food stores and is very safe for animals.

Time is the biggest thing. Give her time and be patient... it'll happen when she's ready.

Regards,
    mebanana17 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2010, 08:14 PM
    I reckon that as soon as she comes out from her hiding place, give her heaps of attention!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had a kitten~~~~ [ 3 Answers ]

And it died.. it came out butt first and my friend told me that she is still in labor b.c she keep walking around the house a lot and puring and then mowing then growing does this sound like she is still in labor or was there just 1 kitten? Please help me ASAP:confused: :confused: :confused:

Kitten health [ 1 Answers ]

One month old kitten with blister like sores, sores heal and then fill up again. New ones keep appearing, any ideas?

I want another kitten! [ 9 Answers ]

Ok I already have one kitten.. she will be a yr old on July 15! Her name is Tinx.. She is my baby.. she is so spoiled! But I want to get another kitten so Tinx has someone to play with while we are away at work! The only problem she doesn't seem to get along very well with other cats.. I guess...

4wk old kitten , with swollen eye [ 4 Answers ]

I have clue what happened! First off they were seen by the vet at 3 weeks for constipation and got an OK for everything! So last week they weren't sick! I have 2 kitten , 1boy, 1girl! This afternoon, I did everythign as usual got up fed them , put them in the litter box and waited , they went,...

Cat/kitten outcome? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We are currently looking after a stray we found under our shed. Here goes the problems... she was pregnant delivered two days(JUNE 9TH) before I could catch her to take her to the vet, had 6 kittens all seemed OK all passed away day by day(maybe fading kitten syndrome?) with the last guys I...

View more questions Search