Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apkahn84 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2012, 09:12 PM
    What happens when the father won't consent to a name change?
    My ex and I had a child out of wedlock. I and the child now live in a different state and he has not had contact with either of us for 3 years. I want to change her last name to my last name since he is not in the picture. Is this a valid reason for wanting my child to have my last name?

Feb 25, 2012, 09:27 PM
    Changing child's name and can't locate other parent
    How can I change my daughters last name to mine when her father has had no contact with her for over 3 years?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 09:30 PM
    It is a reason to want to, but you still will have to get the "ex" permission.
    You can, if he refuses, try to show the court, it would be a major benefit for the child. But it is not likely to happen without the father agree

Feb 25, 2012, 09:37 PM
    Baby out of wedlock with absent father's last name
    How can I change my daughter's last name to mine if her fathers name is on the birth certificate but we were never married? Also, the state we live in collects child support whenever he has employment but it isn't steady and he owes over $6000 in back pay. He hasn't been in contact with her for over 2 years. I would like her to havemy last name since she lives with me and he obviously wants nothing to do with her. Is this even possible if I can't locate him?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 09:52 PM
    Please stop starting new questions for the same topic, they have all been merged
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2012, 07:46 AM
    You can file a name change petition in court. You will have to show a good faith effort to serve the father notice if you don't know where he's at. The child support agency may help serve him.

Whether the court will grant the name change depends on the local court. I do think it's a slim chance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I change my son's first name without his father consent? [ 1 Answers ]

I changed my son first name and now my ex is saying I did it illegal cause I didn't have his consent.

How do you get consent of a name change if you can't find the father? [ 1 Answers ]

My children are using their stepfather's last name in school. I want to legally change it. I have read here that you need consent from both parents but I I can't find their biological father. I know that he is not using his legal name because he is in the US illegally. I can't get chld support...

DO I NEED MY EX'S CONSENT to change my son's last name as his father [ 3 Answers ]

I am the biological father and I am on the bith cert. my son is 5 and does not have my last name. Can I change his alt name to mine? Do I need my ex's permission? (in the state of nh)

View more questions Search