Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fireflyfairies Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Florida laws on breaking a lease for work
    I am currently living at my mothers. I have to move out in a month. I work for a storage facility. There was talk about me getting a promotion, so that I would have my own store. That would mean that I would live on the property. I can not live at my mother's any longer. The only apartment that is cheap enough for me has 1 year leases. If I get promoted, am I able to break my lease with little to no penaltys??
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 18, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflyfairies
    I am currently living at my mothers. I have to move out in a month. I work for a storage facility. There was talk about me getting a promotion, so that I would have my own store. That would mean that I would live on the property. I can not live at my mother's any longer. The only apartment that is cheap enough for me has 1 year leases. If I get promoted, am I able to break my lease with little to no penaltys????
    If you sign a one year lease, you are legally obligated to pay the rent each month for one year or until another tenant rents the property. If you really have to leave your mother's house now, think about a boarding house or motel or a landlord willing to rent on a month to month bases. If you sign the one year lease and then leave before the year is over, you will loose your security deposit, you may end up with a judgement against you and information on your credit report that will be detrimental.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Not unless you negotiate it and get it written into the lease BEFORE you sign.

But normally no you are obligated for the year.

And of coures there are places to rent without a year lease if you look more
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 18, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Breaking residential rental leases in Florida is not easy. The laws really favor the landlord collecting all rent that is contracted and they are not obligated to find a new tenant like in some states. The best you can do is arrange a lease that allows for a subletting arrangement if you need to leave, or move in as someone's roommate or like Advocate said, try to negotiate a month to month. Where I live in Florida, I would look for smaller apartment complexes or even one of a kinds, privately owned. There is a lot of extra paperwork for the owner and extra tax levied on month to month arrangements here so you may find a landlord/owner willling to negotiate a shorter lease but I wouldn't count on it out of any of the big complexes. It wouldn't hurt to look into a realtor, as they can be helpful here too. Because of being both a tourist state and a transient state, its likely to be that for less than a year's lease, you'll be paying more but I would shop around, rents vary a lot area to area.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 18, 2007, 11:01 AM
    One thing you might look for is a short term sublet.
    fireflyfairies Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflyfairies
    I am currently living at my mothers. I have to move out in a month. I work for a storage facility. There was talk about me getting a promotion, so that I would have my own store. That would mean that I would live on the property. I can not live at my mother's any longer. The only apartment that is cheap enough for me has 1 year leases. If I get promoted, am I able to break my lease with little to no penaltys????
    Thank you :) Unfortunately, I have 3 cats. There are no places that I have found in the area that will let me have them on a month to month lease. So I am going to sign a 7 month lease. My promotion will just have to wait, I can not be homeless. Thanks Guys!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Verbal Lease after written lease agreement - Florida [ 6 Answers ]

I had a signed lease with my renter from March 2006 to October 2006. In September he failed to pay rent due to him trying to get his son from Social Services. We verbally agreed to extend the lease to a month to month basis and him adding an additional $50.00 per month to make up for Septembers...

Florida lease law [ 1 Answers ]

If a tenet has been in default of her lease on several occasions and is now late with her rent, does the landlord have to accept? Landlord has already began three day notice

Lease laws in Florida [ 5 Answers ]

Just wanted to know if a landlord can sue you if you terminate a lease because you are buying a home. I have lived in a privately owned home for 6 months and pre-paid my rent until December. I found a home that was discounted 60,000.00 and the builder is paying closing fee... great opportunity...

View more questions Search