racket18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2012, 07:20 PM
    Capital Gains Taxes - Short Term vs Long Term
    Here are my ST and LT Capital Gains/Losses for past 2 years:

2011 ST Loss = 10k
    2011 LT Gain = 5k
    2012 ST Gain = 20k
    2012 LT Gain = 10k

What I would want to do is NOT net the ST Loss with LT Gain in 2011 and just pay the LT Cap Gain Tax on 2011. Then carry over the ST Loss from 2011 into 2012 (after deducting the 3k against ordinary income) against the 20k in ST Gains.

I understand that typically people net NET ST Losses with NET LT Gains but can I keep separate and pay LT Cap Gains tax and the carryover the ST Loss into future years to offset higher tax ST Gains? Or is this disallowed.

Rgds
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2012, 12:46 AM
    In 2011, you have LT gain of 15k and ST gain of 10k. This is the only choice.
    racket18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2012, 09:49 AM
    MukatA, The 2011 ST Loss is 10k. The question is can I carry it forward to 2012 without applying it against the 5k LT Gain in 2011.

I believe the rule is you can net ST Loss in 2011 against LT Gain in 2011 and then carry forward balance. But can I get choose to carryover full ST Loss from 2011 and pay LT Cap Gains Tax on the LT Gain in 2011. This way I would use the FULL ST Loss in 2011 against the ST Gain in 2012.

Rgds

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short term vs long term capital gains, loss carryovers [ 4 Answers ]

Back in 2000 and 2001, I had short term capital losses that exceeded the 3000 dollar limit. Each year, I've been able to deduct 3000 dollars since my short term gains have been minimal. I still haven't used up all my 2000 and 2001 short term losses. I had some long term gains in 2000, but...

Can short term capital losses offset long term capital gains in the same tax year? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend sold some investment real property this year and had a large long term capital gain. He invested the proceeds in the market and the values are down. If he sells the investments now he will have some short term capital losses. Can he use the STCL to offset the LTCG? He also paid...

Short versus long term capital gains [ 1 Answers ]

I have an investment account that I'd like to reposition some of my holdings from. For tax purposes, can I offset a long term capital gain with a short term capital loss or do I have to match long term gains with long term losses, etc? Secondly, if I have a long term or short term loss, and I...

Accounting for Long Term and Short Term Cap Gains [ 2 Answers ]

How do I properly account for Long Term and Short Term Capital Gains from investments (stocks and bonds)? I am unsure of which account to use and the proper treatment on the financial statements. We (the Company) have not been involved in investing much until this year. Feel free to assume I know...

Short-term capital gains from stock sales [ 2 Answers ]

"Short-term stock gains are taxed as ordinary income. Therefore, the nominal tax rate will be whatever tax bracket you are in. More explicitly, it will be taxed at the federal tax rate (bracket) as determined by your taxable (not gross) income line on your federal tax return." If all of my income...

View more questions Search