Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ArcherAngel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
    Tips for preparing to learn Aerial Silks
    I know the question is fairly vague and I apologize but I've honestly never even touched the silks. But I really want to learn to use them. I think they're beautiful and elegant and powerful. And I also believe that they would help me get over my fear. However, I have a few things holding me back-

I have a fear of falling. Not of heights. Of falling.
    Which wouldn't be that big of a deal but I don't have much upper body strength and am not sure that I would be able to even pull myself up- and if I did if I could stay up and- yeah know- not fall.

So my question is this: What should I do to prepare myself to use Aerial silks? Should I train to build up my strength? Or, as I once read, should I just go for it and hope everything works out? If I should train, what kind of exercises would best prepare me?
    axdwdrgc Posts: 86, Reputation: 3

Mar 2, 2012, 05:46 PM
    You should start by building strength in your arms. Then once you know that you have enough strength to hold your own body weight up, you should learn how to do a nearly perfect cartwheel. Once you have this really well you should try some one handed cartwheels. Make sure that you practice both sides equality. Next you should learn how to do this: run into a cartwheel then instead of directly putting your hands Dow wait a sec the but your hands down. Keep trying to wait longer and longer to put your hands down. After you master this go on YouTube and search "how to do an Ariel fit for a feast" this should help you to accomplish the actual Ariel. What I typed above is just the very important prep work/lead up to an Ariel.
    Hoped this helped you :) :) :)
    elysealberts Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2012, 03:15 PM
    I also just recently started aerial silks and had similar fears as you. You really just have to start. You pretty much learn to do most things close to the ground (like inches off the ground, so you can't really fall). As you build confidence, you will be able to get higher.

There are some tricks that compensate for lack of upper body strength, like wrapping your feet when you climb and using it almost like a step. However, you should definitely build core strength and upper body strength as you go (you can start before you reach a "certain strength level"). I recommend any core building exercises that you like, and things like push ups, since you'll be supporting your body weight on the silks. Shoulder strenth, hand strenth, and core strength are key.

Basically, my recommendation is just start. If you find that you're absolutely not strong enough to even hold on (which is probably not true anyway), you can always pause, work out, then restart. But, in my experience, women especially have a bad habit of setting "starting points" for ourselves: I'll start when I can do 20 push ups, etc. It just pushes back what you really want to do. You will build the right kind of strength just by going.

I jumped in and wasn't really strong enough. I built strenth through climbing and practicing, and work out during days I don't. It's incredible how fast each girl in our class has progressed. Not one of us was a body builder or work out fanatic when we started.

Believe me when I tell you it is one of the MOST rewarding feelings to accomplish something on those silks, from climbing to the top when you first start, to pulling off a trick that scared you.

Dive in! You'll impress yourself!

Nov 1, 2012, 03:24 PM
    This link is really helpful

Frequent Asked Questions about aerial dance

Nov 1, 2012, 03:26 PM
    [QUOTE=elysealberts;3312791]This link is really helpful

Look up Sky Gym in Atlanta and you'll find info like this:

What can I do to build up my strength for aerial silks?

A great way to condition for aerial silks is to join our Wings of Steel aerial fitness class. The class builds core and upper body strength for all levels, from Beginner to Advanced.

Here are some of the most helpful exercises to do outside of class:

■Pilates type leg lifts
    ■Forearm grip toners (squeeze balls, springs, gyro-balls)
    ■Pull Ups
    ■Lat Pull-downs
    ■Incline Sit-ups
    ■Hanging leg-lifts

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I set up aerial silks outside? [ 9 Answers ]

Sooooo at my dance studio I am taking aerial silk classes, and there is only one class a week. But I love it so much, once a week is NOT enough lol I have thought about ordering silk online, but my ceilings aren't high enough to hang the silk from So I was thinking maybe I could hang them from a...

Aerial silks 100$? [ 0 Answers ]

Can I have aerial silks for 100 dollars on the internet?

How long does it take to learn PHP? Any tips? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, I have seven weeks to learn PHP, HTML, CSS, SQL proficentally for a final year university project. I have used all four in the past not very well as I am a support person. However the university has said we need to do a system rather than research : ( So my question is how long did it...

Tips to learn mechanics [ 1 Answers ]

How can I learn mechanics very effectively suggest some books or some sites where I can learn mechanics

View more questions Search