Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scodd Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Feb 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
    Should I frame a wall on outside of garage door, leaving garage door in place?
    I would like to convert the garage into a workroom by putting up a frame on the outside of the garage door, insulating it and leaving the garage door in place so that if I need to sell the house I can convert the room back into a garage.

What problems could arise and are there any recommendations.

Thanks
    Greg
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 22, 2012, 10:55 AM
    I think building a new wall inside is a better idea. You won't have to worry about painting it to make it look better and be water tight. Also in most places covering a gargae to a workroom with no garage door may require a permit and inspections.
    scodd Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Feb 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
    I was just hoping to not have to remove and store or dispose of the garage door. I wonder if I put up the wall and add a door that could be used as a second exit, if that would be OK or if that is even an issue? The door would still be in place and could be opened and the new single door could be used then.

We have a home owners association and they keep an eye on fences and extra cars, but I think if I was careful I could get it done without them knowing, but then there is the city of course. But since I am not adding a room and only putting in a sub frame, or whatever you call it, to help insulate and existing room, would that require inspection?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
    HOAs have tons of rules. You might want to reread their covenants to see what building restrictions they may have. My POA would not allow this.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2012, 06:00 PM
    If u want to do this and u don't what anyone to know, u will have to do it on the inside. The minute u cover the doors someone will let the association know. U will also be changing the outside appearance.

I do not recommend doing this without approval. Could make some strong enemies.

Chuck
    JackOfFewTrades Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Mar 3, 2012, 07:00 AM
    Deffinately build your wall inside! Do you not have an existing man doorto the outside? You do not need two, if anything a window that has about three square feet of un obstructed opening is sufficient for a fire exit. Make sure to wrap super 6 (6mm) poly so that if any water does penetrate the threshold of your garage door you wall is protected agaunts water damage, it is also a good idea always to have something between wood and concrete, i.e. Tar paper, foam gaskets, or any type of eterior shelter wrap. I would Caulk the underside of the wall as well so no water gets into the room, as well open the garage door to caulk the reverse side of the wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace garage door with wall? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a small one car garage that is part of the basement. I want to remove the garage door and put in a wall with a door so that I can use this area as a workshop and as the primary entrance into the house during the winter. The other entrances are either up the steep driveway to the...

How to build an interior wall inside garage without removing the garage door [ 5 Answers ]

I want to build a wall inside my 1 car garage, I have flooring down already with those 2ftX 2ft squares with plastic on the bottom and click together wood flooring on top. I can't (because of condo docs) remove the garage door.. but I want to make this into a bedroom. Myidea is to seal the garage...

How do I syncronize my remote control garage door pad with my garage door [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how I can syncronize my remote control pad to open the garage door from the car?? I recently reset my code on the panel, because I didn't know the original code and now when I drive up in the car, my remote contral pad does not work to open the garage door... Any possible...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

Replacing garage Door with a wall [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my attached garage using a contractor (Bob) for the work. Bob replaced the 16 foot door with a wall that will contain a window and 36" wide door, using two pressure treated 2x6x16s for the sill of the wall, placing them directly on the garage floor. Using a caulking gun, Bob...

View more questions Search