Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    venture Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2012, 08:26 PM
    Outsourcing sales for cleaning company
    I recently started a commercial cleaning company (incorporated, insured)and met with two business advisors (won't mention the name of org)... they weren't too encouraging... said I was trying to start too big and figured I didn't need the business for income because I still work part time as a software developer... they said I didn't have a clue... just because I asked them if it would be effective if I outsourced an outbound appointment setting campaign. I have already tried online campaigns, however, that resulted in more people looking for jobs than companies looking for bids. (I did go on 2 bids: 1 I overbid and the other they wanted a 1x cleaning and emailed that they were interested but then never responded when I tried to follow up with scheduling)
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Feb 20, 2012, 10:41 AM
    I am not sure exactly what you are asking Venture. "outbound appointment setting campaign"?

What are you trying to do? An overview please.

Please explain in more detail and if I can help I would be pleased to do so.

Stringer
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
    Yes, are you looking to hire a group to do phone calls and try to set up appointments ?

Many places do this, but it can be costly and often have few results.

The best and most used way is to get off your desk and go business to business meeting the Maintenice managers and find out who they use, what they pay, if they do it themselves and starting to build up a relationship to sell them now or down the road.

Feb 20, 2012, 02:51 PM
    Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Hiring a call center to do the appointment setting in order to meet with the property/facility manager.

Feb 20, 2012, 05:14 PM
    Also, is it appropriate to ask how much they currently pay?. and do they hesitate to answer that question?
    Business Expert

Feb 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Also, is it appropiate to ask how much they currently pay?...and do they hesitate to answer that question?
    It is but only under certain circumstances Venture.

Stop in ask if you may see the person who 'contracts; for their nightly janitorial services. If you are lucky you may get to see them right away, if not collect their name, title, phone number, email and fax. Actually ask if you may have their card all of this should be on it. Make an appointment to see them. Like any type of sales it is build not only on the product/service but trust, professionalism, knowledge, innovation, competitiveness, passive aggressiveness, etc.

It is appropriate to ask what they are presently paying 'IF' you have had a chance to build some quick rapport, if not then do not ask at this time. They may feel that you are pushing it somewhat.

May I ask do you have any experience in the operational end of cleaning?

Stringer

Feb 20, 2012, 08:19 PM
    Stringer,

Thanks for that info. You know I don't have any experience in the operational end of cleaning. I have read up quite a bit on it: from site visit(I feel comfortable doing it) to creating a professional proposals/contract. I have a good idea what to charge in the my area(I think... might have to go on a few more bids). I just don't have that kind of sales in me if there isn't already an appointment set up.

Also, I have a another question regarding biding on city housing common areas... is it lowest bid wins?

Thanks again.
    Business Expert

Feb 20, 2012, 08:48 PM
    Stringer,

Thanks for that info. You know I don't have any experience in the operational end of cleaning. I have read up quite a bit on it: from site visit(I feel comfortable doing it) to creating a professional proposals/contract. I have a good idea what to charge in the my area(I think...might have to go on a few more bids). I just don't have that kind of sales in me if there isn't already an appointment set up.

Also, I have a another question regarding biding on city housing common areas....is it lowest bid wins?

Thanks again.
    You will have to learn to make 'first contact' Venture or you will have little success I am afraid. Every day that you meet someone new in your life you are selling yourself. I personally enjoy and like meeting new people and I enjoy making it a pleasant experience. Just be knowledgeable, pleasant and be yourself, if you like people it will show through.

Most often in government and municipal bidding the bid package wording is; " low and or best qualified bidder'. So yes, usually if you are requested to bid and receive a bid package then you are qualified and it usually comes down to price I am afraid. Especially in this economy Venture.

Please explain, you have no experience in the cleaning business?

Stringer

Feb 21, 2012, 12:30 PM
    Hi Stringer,

Thank you again for the info. I was supposed to start this business with a friend who had experience working at his family owned property management company out of state while in college. So, I started the whole marketing plan and did it all in a about 1 week(website, double sided folding flyers, adsense/adword plan... )it all costs $$ and he decided to back out because he didn't have the finances for starting up... he was going to be the experience in the operational end of the cleaning business. I got so excited about the project I decided to continue forward. And here I am learning the operational end as I'm going along. I think I can really benefit from you intput. Thanks.
    Business Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 05:36 PM
    hi Stringer,

Thank you again for the info. I was supposed to start this business with a friend who had experience working at his family owned property management company out of state while in college. So, I started the whole marketing plan and did it all in a about 1 week(website, double sided folding flyers, adsense/adword plan...)it all costs $$ and he decided to back out because he didn't have the finances for starting up.....he was going to be the experience in the operational end of the cleaning business. I got so excited about the project I decided to continue forward. And here I am learning the operational end as I'm going along. I think I can really benefit from you intput. Thanks.
    Just ask away Venture, be glad to help.

May 5, 2012, 07:22 PM
    hi Stringer,

I'm back! And I was curious to know about the best way to invoice the customers. If it''s a daily cleaning 5x/wk seems too long to wait until the end of the month to invoice.
    Business Expert

May 6, 2012, 05:31 PM
    hi Stringer,

I'm back! and I was curious to know about the best way to invoice the customers. If it''s a daily cleaning 5x/wk seems too long to wait until the end of the month to invoice.
    All commercial cleaning is billed monthly for the most part, barring any special agreements where the client request something else.

Some companies will invoice for the month as soon as they start and request payment on the 15th Venture. This can be justified by 'sharing' the cost so to speak. It doesn't hurt to try this. If they disagree then invoice right away with payment due at the end of the month with a 1 or 2 % late charge if not paid on time (This is usually overlooked if a good client though).

Stringer

May 6, 2012, 06:32 PM
    OK, great that's exactly what I was thinking. Thank you so much.
    Business Expert

May 8, 2012, 07:03 PM
    ok, great that's exactly what I was thinking. Thank you so much.
    You are welcome Venture, please keep me advised on your progress.

Stringer

May 17, 2012, 08:01 PM
    Hi Stringer,

I need your personal/professional opinion on my situation. It's like this... in the last month or so I've been on 4 bids and didn't seem to get any of the jobs. They were all looking to find a new cleaning company because their current one wasn't doing a very good job. I've emailed the proposals and followed up with all of them with an email to confirm that they were able to open the emailed document and that if they had any question, comments or concerns to free to contact me. No one has responded in any way. So these people I've met with aren't the warmest and fuzziest I've ever met. Not sure if it's just the attitude of just meeting with the cleaning company. I've worked and still work in corporate america

May 17, 2012, 08:03 PM
    (oops typing too fast)... and really haven't met with such cold people. Is this common attitude in the business?
    Business Expert

May 17, 2012, 08:54 PM
    HI Venture,

Welcome to my world.

Not really, YOU bring the professionalism to this business. How you handle yourself, what you say, how you say it and... how you dress and carry yourself. True like in any sales there is always going to be those who for some reason are 'stand offish' in reality Venture it is the 'sizzle.' Granted you need to be a good, thorough, professional company that always tries to do the very best you can and never stop learning. But what sells the steak in the restaurant is the sizzle (sound of the hot steak on your plate) and the smell before that delicious taste. What you present is very important not just plopping a cold steak on a plate. Like insurance, cleaning isn't important until IT IS and you need it.

I never, unless it is the only way, email or fax a proposal/contract (period). It is most important to get 'face' time, quickly build rapport with your contact AND hopefully the decision making person. Dress in a sports coat, tie and shinny shoes... I know, it sounds old fashioned but I dress this way for meetings because I am a professional and I do it out of respect for my prospect. Set yourself aside from the herd of cattle, be serious about what you do and treat it with respect. You will be surprised how many will pick up on this and treat you the same way. During these meetings you need to ask the RIGHT questions: when will you make your decision, who will make the final decision, can I meet this person, (can I have his/her info: full name, email, title----do you have their business card, etc?), what EXACTLY were your problems with your present cleaning company, how long were they cleaning here, why are you making a change, what are your top three important items that you want from your cleaning company, etc?

Don't slough, sit up straight, look them in the eye, smile (at the proper time) and MOST IMPORTANT ---LISTEN intently AND take notes in front of them. Offer them help/advice/suggestions that may not even benefit you but may help them.

Sell your business not because you need the business but because you can do the job and HELP your prospect.

When you make the initial call ask them for a brief meeting to understand them and their needs. Remember, "no one (including your prospect) wants to hire a company that is not going to work out and has to be terminated, you lose and they lose". They want you to get them to respect you and have confidence in you. They want you to convince them and to prove to them that if they choose you they made the right decision. They want to feel 'warm and fuzzy' about their decision Venture.

I always sell value first (why they should hire us). Come up with a list of why you and your company are different and better without sounding like an egoist... just confident.

Try calling each bid that you lose to do a post review. Tell them it will only take minutes and will assist you greatly;

What were the reasons they hired the other company initially? Was I competitive, how close? "Sir", will you please be candid with me; why did I lose the bid? What could I have done better? If it was only price the how much higher was I or can you give me a percentage of how much higher I was? Tell them that you very much appreciate their time and value their comments that it will only advance your knowledge and your company and make you better at what you do, you need to know where you stand. (Do this each time). Even if you get the contract, at some point sit down with them and have them give you the reasons they chose you also.

I have only touched briefly into this venture with you but I hope it helps some. You have to have the attitude and the tenacity that you will not fail and that you will make as many calls and bids as necessary to get the contracts.

I am sure that you have heard the expression that in order to have others like you you have to like yourself. This carries into business also. Treat them as though you are looking for new friends. And hopefully that is what they will become. And they may even give your name to others also (referrals - best way to get new business).

God I love selling... You take something that is nothing and you 'birth' it and nurture it to maturity and it was you, no one else, but you, you created the 'sale.'

Read my 'signatures' below Venture.

Stringer

May 20, 2012, 07:18 PM
    Hi Stringer,
    Thank you so much. The information was very insightful and funny because I had a vision of myself in a "sports coat, tie and shinny shoes"... I'm a female :)... and I don't think I look like someone who would be coming in to clean their facility and I think they kind of shut me out automatically and they're the ones who avoid the eye contact, quickly walking me through the facility, giving me very short answers to any questions that I ask.
    I actually haven't made any calls to try to get business. Every facility bid that I've gone on has been them calling me based on their internet searches. I have asked how they prefer to receive the estimate and all have said via email.

I will take your suggestions and implement them in my initial meetings and see how things change.

Thanks again.
    Business Expert

May 20, 2012, 08:26 PM
    hi Stringer,
    Thank you so much. The information was very insightful and funny because I had a vision of myself in a "sports coat, tie and shinny shoes"....I'm a female :) ...and I don't think I look like someone who would be coming in to clean their facility and I think they kind of shut me out automatically and they're the ones who avoid the eye contact, quickly walking me through the facility, giving me very short answers to any questions that I ask.
    I actually haven't made any calls to try to get business. Every facility bid that I've gone on has been them calling me based on their internet searches. I have asked how they prefer to recieve the estimate and all have said via email.

I will take your suggestions and implement them in my initial meetings and see how things change.

Thanks again.
    Ha ha, I suppose that I should apologize Venture (ma'am :)).

There are always challenges, always will be. If it were easy... well you know... It is an obtained, learned skill along with the tenacity or intrinsic fortitude that an individual has deep inside. Keep doing it, selling is the life blood of any business, nothing happens until you or someone sells it.

I sense that you have the drive to succeed Venture but never let up. 20 years ago when my partner and I started our company he had little experience in sales or in the commercial cleaning business, he learned though. He is good on the operations end and I mostly handle the sales and PR part. Now he lives in a house valued at over $900,00.00, drives a big Audi and vacations about 12 weeks a year at our 3,000 sq ft condo in Naples Fl beside a beautiful golf course.

But for the first few years we struggled some and when necessary we also cleaned. We focused on a niche market (medical cleaning) and learned everything about medical cleaning. We do over $7 million a year in business, but WE DIDN'T in the beginning, each of us took only about $2,000.00/month for the first two years. We determined that we would do whatever it took to be successful. Now we give to charities, speak at seminars and conventions, etc.

You have to continually educate yourself in sales and your market/business, make yourself the expert. Find and absorb everything you can about this business.

Anything I can do to help you I will. I like working with people that WANT to put in the time and effort to be a success.

Stringer

May 22, 2012, 08:17 AM
    Thanks Stringer,

Failure is not an option for me... Ever! I Will do whatever it takes to succeed in everything I do. It's not so much for the money that I'm doing this because I don't need this money to live on. It's the challenge... the glory of succeeding on what I set to accomplish... it's all about self fullfilment not about the material things. I'm generous now it would only allow me to be more generous.
    I'd love to hear you guys speak at a convention or seminar... you have some great information and willing to share it in a kind way(very important). Let me know if you ever do an event in the Boston area.

Thanks Again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How cleaning company find cleaning contracts? [ 12 Answers ]

How can I get cleaning contracts?

Company Introduction Letter (B2B) for a HR services outsourcing company [ 10 Answers ]

How can I make a good company Introduction letter (B2B), for a HR outsourcing company? Please help me out with any free samples.

During July, Neptune Company had actual sales of $144,000 compared to budgeted sales [ 1 Answers ]

During July, Neptune Company had actual sales of $144,000 compared to budgeted sales of 3) $156,000. Actual cost of goods sold was $108,000, compared to a budget of $109,200. Monthly Operating expenses, budgeted at $22,400, totaled $20,000. Interest revenue of $2,000 was earned During July but...

Tax law for outsourcing company from Colombia south america [ 1 Answers ]

Good afternoon. I am writing from Colombia and planning to open an outsourcing business in order to serv mortgage companies from NY and NJ - USA. I need to know what is the tax and operations law for this type of businessñ also how can I get paid by my clients in the US. I am a legal US...

Finding Sales for new Cleaning company [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I have recently started a commercial cleaning company. We've already done some one time jobs (clean-ups, strip and wax, etc.) and we have also picked up one monthly contract. We have done some cold calls but are still looking for some innovative ideas for advertising our services and...

View more questions Search