Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babyballer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2012, 11:30 PM
    Do both parents have to sign off for emancipation is one is absent?
    I'm 17 years old. My father has never really been around and my mom has always had custody. I have seen a lot. My step father whom has been the father figure in my life since I was 2 was an alcoholic and drug abuser off and on in my life. I have 3 younger siblings, and am so fed up with having to be the mom because my mom can't be one because she is to stressed or going through depressing dealing with her husband. My stepfather is not physically abusive but mentally he is. He can't get many jobs because of his criminal record and my mom just plain out "can't" get one. I have had to go without water for two months at a time at least 3 times. Without electricity, food and things I needed, such as pads and crap. My mom thinks I want to get emancipated because of my boyfriend but the truth is, I can take care of myself better than she can and I'm sick of playing mom. I have been dealing with this since I was 5. I just need to know if my father has any rights to this or if he is totally out of the picture. Help please!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 19, 2012, 04:42 AM
    He will have to be notified of an emancipation petition. Do you really expect him to object?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2012, 06:19 AM
    First, ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Second, Emancipation has to be approved by a court, not just your parents. And getting court approval will be very difficult. Since you are 17 it is likely that, by the time, this gets through the courts you will be 18 and the issue will be moot.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2012, 07:17 AM
    Yes at 17 unless you have a job and unless you have a way to support yourself, ( not just live with a boyfriend) the court is more likely to not allow it, and even ask children services to investigate parents for child abuse ( if you have no water or food or other support)
    And they may even want to consider foster care instead.

Also with that, as noted it can take months and months to even get to court.
    babyballer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2012, 09:53 PM
    I want to be emancipated, a family wants to take me in as a nanny could this work?
    I'm 17 years old, live in Washington State.I have 3 younger siblings, I don't want to say anything to get them put in foster care. It's not that having to be the mom because my mom can't be one because she is to stressed or going through depressing dealing with her husband is the issue. It's that my stepfather is not physically abusive but mentally he is. He can't get many jobs because of his criminal record and my mom just plain out "can't" get one. I have had to go without water for two months at a time at least 3 times. Without electricity, food and things I needed, such as pads and crap. My mom thinks I want to get emancipated because of my boyfriend but the truth is, I can take care of myself better than she can and it's effecting how I work in school.I babysit for a family and they have witnessed everything and more. I live in a small town so court wouldn't be that hard. This family I work for is willing to make a contract with me saying I am their nanny and that I will be renting out a room. Could this work for my job and living? I would be taking care of myself and still going to school just when I get home doing things she needs help with. Also, I will be 18 in November but my mom thinks it's best if I move away to another town 3 hours away. I am president of Teen Council and I volunteer through Parks and Rec like crazy. If I leave right before my senior year I loose every chance I have of getting basically a full ride to college. I have proved to almost everyone I know that I can manage on my own and they think emancipation is better for me. I just want what is better and foster care won't help me, I know, I've been their before and it only made things worse. I really need answers.. Please...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Here is a place to start:

http://www.lawhelp.org/documents/160...ateabbrev=/WA/

This has the forms and filing instructions for you. The problem is, while it lists the requirements, it doesn't define how to prove them.

Also here is the law: Chapter 13.64 RCW: Emancipation of minors

The law is vague on the point as well indicating "clear and convincing" evidence of the ability to care for oneself is needed. This means that it will be difficult to convince a court. The law also indicates that a guardian ad liteum should be appointed to investigate and report on the minor's ability to take care of themselves.

{Mod note: threads merged, please keep all follow-up to this thread}

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Absent Parents Rights [ 5 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my 13 yrs daughter who's father has not had any contact with her since she was 3, I have never received child support from him. Do I have to get is consent for the adoption?

In Louisiana, who inherits land when both parents are deceased absent a will? [ 2 Answers ]

We have attempted to contact legal staff in Louisiana for assitance, but to no avail. My eldest sister was the power of attorney for my mom before she passed away. Myself and my three siblings are not listed on the deed and we have attempted to contact legal staff in Louisiana for assistance,...

Child support for adults from absent parents [ 1 Answers ]

I am 39 years old and I am the product of an inter racial relationship in the early 70's. My mother opted to never take my biological father to court for child support because his family didn't know about the affair. My biological father recently told his adult kids about me and they have taken...

New York State Laws for absent Parents? [ 4 Answers ]

I know this has been probably asked a million times, BUT I am asking it again. I have a situation to where I am getting health insurance through NYS called Child Health Plus, they are inquiring about my daughters father who has shown no interest in her since her birth. My situation is as follows:...

Parents vs. Emancipation vs. Boyfriend [ 23 Answers ]

Okay, So I'm not going to tell my whole life story, but I am 15 about to be 16 in two months. Anyway, so I have always had I guess you could call them suicide thoughts, but the only thing that makes them really go away is my boyfriend. Thing about that is my parents are tripping hard about...

View more questions Search