Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terrencedalton Posts: 4, Reputation: -2

Feb 18, 2012, 09:05 AM
    Can I become a private investigator in Tennessee if I am an ex felon?
    Can I become a private investigator in Tennessee if I am an ex felon?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2012, 09:10 AM
    Hello t:

You can look up the requirement online... And, you're NOT an ex-felon. You're just a felon.

excon

Feb 18, 2012, 09:16 AM
    I think if I had paid for my crime then that would make me an ex. My ex wife is not still my wife either when I paid for the divorce and I can now re marry. And I know I can look it up if I want to search everywhere for hours, but I asked here because people help each other here to get a direct link for their questions. You weren't a help at all but just wanted to call an ex a still and simply just look like a fool to the public still. Man get off this site an try being an ex- askme member fool if you want to answer like a CHILD! So now your just an fool and not an excon but still a con!
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2012, 09:19 AM
    Hello again, t:

If you can't investigate the requirements of getting an "investigators" license, then I'd stick with flipping burgers.

excon

Feb 18, 2012, 09:30 AM
    I'm obviously pretty good at investigating so far because I came here to do it the easy way instead of searching everywhere online for hours. Smarter not harder is how ill detect my answers. Fool I'm going to call you to the ring and then post you either losing the fight or watch you look like a coward not showing up to the ring right here online. So now I challenge you! A legally waived physical harm/death match invite to a public ufc style cage to get my respect.you are the exact punks ill watch me put back behind bars.because I was behind bars once only made me hate people like you! I will catch you! And if it takes my other brothers and sisters from the site to do it we will all rest easy putting you back where you belong! So do you accept the fight?
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2012, 10:30 AM
    Hello again, t:

Yes!! I'll be at the Miramar Hotel in Miami Beach tomorrow at noon. See you on the beach... Bring your gang. I'll bring my balls.

excon
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 18, 2012, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by terrencedalton View Post
    im obviously pretty good at investigating so far because i came here to do it the easy way instead of searching everywhere online for hours. smarter not harder is how ill detect my answers. fool im gonna call you to the ring and then post you either losing the fight or watch you look like a coward not showing up to the ring right here online. so now i challenge you! a legally waived physical harm/death match invite to a public ufc style cage to get my respect.you are the exact punks ill watch me put back behind bars.because i was behind bars once only made me hate people like you! i will catch you! and if it takes my other brothers and sisters from the site to do it we will all rest easy putting you back where you belong! so do you accept the fight?
    Really? I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is that you were trying to say.
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2012, 10:19 AM
    Hello again, t:

It's 1:00.. Guess you're not showing up.. Figured. I've run into guys like you in the slam before.. All talk and no go.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2012, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by terrencedalton View Post
    im obviously pretty good at investigating so far because i came here to do it the easy way instead of searching everywhere online for hours. smarter not harder is how ill detect my answers. fool im gonna call you to the ring and then post you either losing the fight or watch you look like a coward not showing up to the ring right here online. so now i challenge you! a legally waived physical harm/death match invite to a public ufc style cage to get my respect.you are the exact punks ill watch me put back behind bars.because i was behind bars once only made me hate people like you! i will catch you! and if it takes my other brothers and sisters from the site to do it we will all rest easy putting you back where you belong! so do you accept the fight?

No, you can't be licensed in TN - or, for that matter, in any other State.

In the event you are using your legal name in this thread, that is not a well thought out move. You are very easily found by that specific name, in TN.
    roderick40 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Sep 21, 2012, 03:13 PM
    Dear Terrencedalton

I have read your post about your question and everybody else's answers or related comments. I have a suggestion if you're willing to take this advice. Before you begin to search to different parts of the states about the regulations of Private Investigations, find out and see if your felony record is a very serious matter and the court disposition of your case. Refer this to your attorney for options to see if your felony case would either permit or prevent you to pursue the career of private investigations. Once you get your answers from an attorney then check any states for their regulations of Private Investigators. Some states depends on the nature of the crime in results to your felony may not disbarred you from becoming a Private Investigator. Certain states may granted you a license as a Private Investigator depends on the nature of your case whether it's a felony or misdeameanor. But if you do this, first you have to remember to keep a cool head. Private Investigators are peacemakers not fighters,which includes getting into fights with people who answers you. Find out more about your case and get your results. Never know you may have the answers that you was looking for.
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2012, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by roderick40 View Post
    Dear Terrencedalton

I have read your post about your question and everybody else's answers or related comments. I have a suggestion if you're willing to take this advice. Before you begin to search to different parts of the states about the regulations of Private Investigations, find out and see if your felony record is a very serious matter and the court disposition of your case. Refer this to your attorney for options to see if your felony case would either permit or prevent you to pursue the career of private investigations. Once you get your answers from an attorney then check any states for their regulations of Private Investigators. Some states depends on the nature of the crime in results to your felony may not disbarred you from becoming a Private Investigator. Certain states may granted you a license as a Private Investigator depends on the nature of your case whether its a felony or misdeameanor. But if you do this, first you have to remember to keep a cool head. Private Investigators are peacemakers not fighters,which includes getting into fights with people who answers you. Find out more about your case and get your results. Never know you may have the answers that you was looking for.

"Some states depends on the nature of the crime in results to your felony may not disbarred you from becoming a Private Investigator." I don't know what this means.

PI's are not peacemakers nor are they fighters. They are looking for answers, that's all.

I'd be interested in knowing which States license a PI with a felony conviction. This is the phrase which TN uses: "Be of good moral character ..." Then the argument becomes whether a felon is of "good moral character." The concern is that the felon may not be impartial when it comes to investigations.

Sep 22, 2012, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    "Some states depends on the nature of the crime in results to your felony may not disbarred you from becoming a Private Investigator." I don't know what this means.

PI's are not peacemakers nor are they fighters. They are looking for answers, that's all.

I'd be interested in knowing which States license a PI with a felony conviction.
    State Of Florida for example may grant you a license based on the nature of a person's criminal record. Not everyone with a felony record can applied and the State reviews these applications and the person's criminal history to see if they are eligible. But before this person who wishes to pursue for the career as a Private Investigator, he must first find out if he's eligible and the attorney can guide him to his answers.

Not trying to step on any toes, but we as PI's are more than peacemakers. On a positive note, we can have help give the person a peace of mind with their criminal cases, prevent them from becoming victims of fraud, locate missing love ones just a few that are only mention here.

Hope this answer would help your questions
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2012, 09:16 AM
    Hello again,

Jim Rockford was a PI with a record...

excon

Sep 22, 2012, 09:25 AM

I'd be interested in knowing which States license a PI with a felony conviction. This is the phrase which TN uses: "Be of good moral character ..." Then the argument becomes whether or not a felon is of "good moral character." The concern is that the felon may not be impartial when it comes to investigations.
    What you say is true because of good moral character and this person must need to found out can he become the person with this character. We could only help him as little as we can and State where he resides can make that decision
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2012, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again,

Jim Rockford was a PI with a record...

excon

Jim Rockford was a pretend person -
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2012, 09:53 AM
    Jim Rockford was a pretend person -
    Hello again, Jude:

No he wasn't.. I saw him on TV all the time...

excon
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2012, 09:55 AM
    State Of Florida for example may grant you a license based on the nature of a person's criminal record. Not everyone with a felony record can applied and the State reviews these applications and the person's criminal history to see if they are eligible. But before this person who wishes to pursue for the career as a Private Investigator, he must first find out if he's eligible and the attorney can guide him to his answers.

Not trying to step on any toes, but we as PI's are more than peacemakers. On a positive note, we can have help give the person a peace of mind with their criminal cases, prevent them from becoming victims of fraud, locate missing love ones just a few that are only mention here.

Hope this answer would help your questions

"We" as PI's? You're a PI in which State? An Attorney can only give general guidelines. Licensing is on an application-by-application basis. The applicant contacts the State Licensing Board, fills out the application, proves education and experience, character, provides the necessary references and waits for the response.

This particular OP is interested in TN. I posted what TN says on the subject.

What area of law is your specialty? Plaintiff, Defendant? I'm guessing you do criminal work - ? Security guards, armed or not, are not PIs.

Your phrasing concerns me. "What you say is true because of good moral character and this person must need to found out can he become the person with this character. We could only help him as little as we can and State where he resides can make that decision." It is hard for me to understand what you mean, and I wonder how you can work a street investigation if the language is unfamiliar to you.

The various PI Associations, of course, have this info at their fingertips. Your membership entitles you to also search there for answers.

My other concern is a PI working unarmed and a felon cannot own/carry a firearm. I don't know how you would get around that concern.

Sep 22, 2012, 11:40 AM
    "We" as PI's? You're a PI in which State? An Attorney can only give general guidelines. Licensing is on an application-by-application basis. The applicant contacts the State Licensing Board, fills out the application, proves education and experience, character, provides the necessary references and waits forthe response

This particular OP is interested in TN. I posted what TN says on the subject.

What area of law is your specialty? Plaintiff, Defendant? I'm guessing you do criminal work - ? Security guards, armed or not, are not PIs.

Your phrasing concerns me. "What you say is true because of good moral character and this person must need to found out can he become the person with this character. We could only help him as little as we can and State where he resides can make that decision." It is hard for me to understand what you mean, and I wonder how you can work a street investigation if the language is unfamiliar to you.

The various PI Associations, of course, have this info at their fingertips. Your membership entitles you to also search there for answers.

My other concern is a PI working unarmed and a felon cannot own/carry a firearm. I don't know how you would get around that concern.
    State Of Florida, Specialty in Criminal Defense Investigations
    PI's are authorized to carry firearms as long as their employers grant them permission under Florida's chapters 493 and 790 status governed by the Florida Department Of Agriculture and Consumers Services - Division Of Licensing.
    PI's must have a classes "D" unarmed and "G" armed security licenses in conjunction with their class "W" Concealed Weapon Permit which allows PI to carry their weapons concealed. I apologized if my messages wasn't clear enough and offended you
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2012, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Jude:

No he wasn't.. I saw him on tv all the time...

excon

Oh, you're right - sorry. My apologies.
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2012, 01:17 PM
    State Of Florida, Specialty in Criminal Defense Investigations
    PI's are authorized to carry firearms as long as their employers grant them permission under Florida's chapters 493 and 790 status governed by the Florida Department Of Agriculture and Consumers Services - Division Of Licensing.
    PI's must have a classes "D" unarmed and "G" armed security licenses in conjunction with their class "W" Concealed Weapon Permit which allows PI to carry their weapons concealed. I apologized if my messages wasn't clear enough and offended you

I realize what Fl law is concerning a weapon as well as the law concerning PIs and weapons... in Florida.

Please reread what I posted.

You're a PI (you refer to "we") and you don't know this: FELONS by Federal Law cannot carry weapons; therefore, a PI with a felony (if she happens to get licensed) cannot carry a weapon. Haven't you ever investigated a case involving a felon with a weapon, particularly when you are doing defense work, criminal or otherwise? You didn't know that felons can't own weapons - or, for that matter, be in their proximity. I'm not saying that law is or isn't fair. I'm saying that's the law.

I don't know one single PI who works unarmed, not a single one. I'm not talking about security guards, armed or otherwise - I'm talking about PIs. You would suggest that anyone work the streets, and not carry?

Also - I asked you a couple of very specific questions. You refer to PI's as "we." Therefore, I am assuming you are one. What is your specialty? Which State? Which Association? You have to belong to an Association, because that's where the contacts are.

Your grammar makes me think you are not in the US - it would also explain your confusion over PIs and carrying weapons.

I'm not offended by anything you say. I'm just trying to get correct info posted. This is a relatively old thread which you chose to open, and I wonder why.

While, by the way, the PI/weapon info in Florida is fascinating the OP is actually in TN.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an ex- felon be a private investigator? [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in becoming a private investigator but I have a few felonies dated back about 8 years ago, can I still be a private ivestigator?

I am looking for the last name of a famous private investigator. [ 1 Answers ]

Not a fictional character. This was in 1980s Dallas. First name Bill, he had a house with a horse in front that had a secret camera in the horse's penis.

Can an ex-con be a private investigator? [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if a ex-con like myself can be a private investigator in any U.S state?

Unprofessional conduct of a private investigator [ 3 Answers ]

I hired a private investigator in 2006 and he gave me all wrong information about the women my husband was cheating with. I gave him $3500.00 up front and all I had left he claims was $926.00 now I want all my money back for services never received. I received no photos, no videos, and he hired...

View more questions Search