Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roderick40 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Sep 22, 2012, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I realize what Fl law is concerning a weapon as well as the law concerning PIs and weapons ... in Florida.

Please reread what I posted.

You're a PI (you refer to "we") and you don't know this: FELONS by Federal Law cannot carry weapons; therefore, a PI with a felony (if she happens to get licensed) cannot carry a weapon. Haven't you ever investigated a case involving a felon with a weapon, particularly when you are doing defense work, criminal or otherwise? You didn't know that felons can't own weapons - or, for that matter, be in their proximity. I'm not saying that law is or isn't fair. I'm saying that's the law.

I don't know one single PI who works unarmed, not a single one. I'm not talking about security guards, armed or otherwise - I'm talking about PIs. You would suggest that anyone work the streets, and not carry?

Also - I asked you a couple of very specific questions. You refer to PI's as "we." Therefore, I am assuming you are one. What is your specialty? Which State? Which Association? You have to belong to an Association, because that's where the contacts are.

Your grammar makes me think you are not in the US - it would also explain your confusion over PIs and carrying weapons.

I'm not offended by anything you say. I'm just trying to get correct info posted. This is a relatively old thread which you chose to open, and I wonder why.

While, by the way, the PI/weapon info in Florida is fascinating the OP is actually in TN.
    Yes I am a private investigator but please try to understand. Different States has different regulations for people who wanted to become a PI. Maybe TN has their way of licensing anyone for PI but in my state it is what it is. I'm not a part of any organizations but I do handle criminal defense cases for the State. I apologized for my grammar its worse than what I sound. Its not about the confusion it's the clear understanding the person needs for his questions. Maybe your answers and mines could both be correct but he needs to find out on his own. The refer to we as a PI , I thought that you was or could be one as well as anyone else who reviewed the topic to this person's question. I don't carry a firearm when I'm on a case but if I chose too then I'll have to go through the proper steps with my employers and the State. Please forgive me didn't know the thread was old but I do understand the person's frustration and he only asking for help.

You are a very strong person with good points of views
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2012, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by roderick40 View Post
    Yes I am a private investigator but please try to understand. Different States has different regulations for people who wanted to become a PI. Maybe TN has their way of licensing anyone for PI but in my state it is what it is. I'm not a part of any organizations but I do handle criminal defense cases for the State. I apologized for my grammar its worse than what I sound. Its not about the confusion its the clear understanding the person needs for his questions. Maybe your answers and mines could both be correct but he needs to find out on his own. The refer to we as a PI , I thought that you was or could be one as well as anyone else who reviewed the topic to this person's question. I don't carry a firearm when I'm on a case but if I chose too then I'll have to go through the proper steps with my employers and the State. Please forgive me didn't know the the thread was old but I do understand the person's frustration and he only asking for help.

You are a very strong person with good points of views

What kind of criminal defense work do you do for the State? I attend the various conventions and seminars, and this is the first time I've come across a State employee who does defense investigations (for the State). In fact, I don't run into many PIs who do defense work at all. Interesting.

As as "Yes I am a private investigator but please try to understand. Different States has different regulations for people who wanted to become a PI. Maybe TN has their way of licensing anyone for PI but in my state it is what it is ..." is concerned, yes, I well understand. Of course different States have different regulations. And of course TN has their way of licensing.

So in your State felons CAN get pistol permits, concealed or not. This, of course, has nothing to do with being a PI - it's a separate issue.

This is truly not a criticism but you have difficulty expressing yourself - how do you conduct statements and prepare written reports, testify in Court?

If you don't belong to an association, how do you develop contacts? For example, if you get a case in NY how do you choose who to work with?

Interesting - completely different from the way I work. I am interested in the State/defense issue. What types of cases?

Missing person questions are posted on AMHD all the time. Your experience would be valuable over there - if, of course, your license and insurance allow it.

I'm very interesting in learning about your experiences in, apparently, Florida. I have been looking into reciprocal licensing and had considered Florida. Sounds like it's a completely different situation from NY. Quite honestly I do not understand what type of work you do and how you do it - I stated very clearly that felons cannot get a license for a firearm. You responded with the section of Florida Law that covers PIs and pistol permits, totally missing the question.

I'm not sure if you're a PI or a security guard or something else, an investigator for the State (perhaps Welfare or something else) but I very much doubt you're a PI. Sorry, but too much that you've posted doesn't make sense.

The question very obviously was about TN. Your answer was about the US. I don't know how you investigate an incident/accident if you don't understand the theory of law behind it.

Sep 22, 2012, 06:08 PM
    What kind of criminal defense work do you do for the State? I attend the various conventions and seminars, and this is the first time I've come across a State employee who does defense investigations (for the State). In fact, I don't run into many PIs who do defense work at all. Interesting.

As as "Yes I am a private investigator but please try to understand. Different States has different regulations for people who wanted to become a PI. Maybe TN has their way of licensing anyone for PI but in my state it is what it is ..." is concerned, yes, I well understand. Of course different States have different regulations. And of course TN has their way of licensing.

So in your State felons CAN get pistol permits, concealed or not. This, of course, has nothing to do with being a PI - it's a separate issue.

This is truly not a criticism but you have difficulty expressing yourself - how do you conduct statements and prepare written reports, testify in Court?

If you don't belong to an association, how do you develop contacts? For example, if you get a case in NY how do you choose who to work with?

Interesting - completely different from the way I work. I am interested in the State/defense issue. What types of cases?

Missing person questions are posted on AMHD all the time. Your experience would be valuable over there - if, of course, your license and insurance allow it.

I'm very interesting in learning about your experiences in, apparently, Florida. I have been looking into reciprocal licensing and had considered Florida. Sounds like it's a completely different situation from NY.
    Trained and certified by the State Of Florida Office Of Criminal Conflict and Civil Regional Counsel in handling criminal defense investigations for the indigent and conducts investigations for the fourth district located in Ft.Lauderdale. I have conducted different types of investigations from battery to murder cases, same types of investigation used by Public Defender Investigators. In Florida the person with a felony record may have a chance to have his rights to keep and bear arms restored - if he or she does not have a violent felony, is not on the sexual predator list, must not be convicted with domestic violence with or without a firearm, not convict of any type of abusive actions to the elderly and minors. But felonies with a court disposition like adjudication withhold, or felonies that can be sealed or expunged can grant a person with a criminal record a concealed weapon permit. In Florida's case depends on the nature of the person's criminal record. I could prepare and conduct statements, written reports and testify in court easily, as long as I stay truthful to my work. When conducting investigations for the state the investigator is granted a state issued ID and are not allowed to conduct or solicate to investigatorany other businesses for investigation work which is only for the license private investigator. To the State its call conflict of interest and you can only do investigations for the State. Criminal Defense Investigations is very challenging because you review cases and reports from law enforcement officials, court documents, interview defendants and witnesses and sometimes you be amazed about what you hear about the cases and the people involved in. If you are interested, you can go online and go to Criminal Defense Investigator Training Counsel who teaches and sponsers students for the State agencies. (Public Defender Office and Criminal Conflict). I am interested in helping located missing persons. My training Instructor for the State is Mr.Brandon Perron, he's very good for anyone who wishes to learn about Criminal Defense Investigation.
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2012, 06:38 PM
    Trained and certified by the State Of Florida Office Of Criminal Conflict and Civil Regional Counsel in handling criminal defense investigations for the indigent and conducts investigations for the fourth district located in Ft.Lauderdale. I have conducted different types of investigations from battery to murder cases, same types of investigation used by Public Defender Investigators. In Florida the person with a felony record may have a chance to have his rights to keep and bear arms restored - if he or she does not have a violent felony, is not on the sexual predator list, must not be convicted with domestic violence with or without a firearm, not convict of any type of abusive actions to the elderly and minors. But felonies with a court disposition like adjudication withhold, or felonies that can be sealed or expunged can grant a person with a criminal record a concealed weapon permit. In Florida's case depends on the nature of the person's criminal record. I could prepare and conduct statements, written reports and testify in court easily, as long as I stay truthful to my work. When conducting investigations for the state the investigator is granted a state issued ID and are not allowed to conduct or solicate to investigatorany other businesses for investigation work which is only for the license private investigator. To the State its call conflict of interest and you can only do investigations for the State. Criminal Defense Investigations is very challenging because you review cases and reports from law enforcement officials, court documents, interview defendants and witnesses and sometimes you be amazed about what you hear about the cases and the people involved in. If you are interested, you can go online and go to Criminal Defense Investigator Training Counsel who teaches and sponsers students for the State agencies. (Public Defender Office and Criminal Conflict). I am interested in helping located missing persons. My training Instructor for the State is Mr.Brandon Perron, he's very good for anyone who wishes to learn about Criminal Defense Investigation.

Sounds interesting - I am going to contact him.

So that I have this right - and I've looked at the site and you can get the credentials you seem to be discussing on line - you are a LPI in Florida? Or are you an investigator for a particular department in Florida, without a LPI license?

You certainly don't need to be a LPI in order to search for people - skip tracers search for people all the time.

I'm confused about what your title is and what you do.

I have friends who are Welfare examiners or Fraud investigators for the County. The have community college degrees, on line training, but they are NOT licensed private investigators... nor are they private investigators. Investigators, yes, but not LPI's - and I'm sure you realize PI is the same as LPI, just shorthand for the full name. There is a very big difference between being a LPI and "Trained and certified by the State Of Florida Office Of Criminal Conflict and Civil Regional Counsel in handling criminal defense investigations ... "

EDITED: I just looked at the site - are you accredited by the Institute that sponsors this program or licensed by the State (which is what this thread is about)?

Sep 23, 2012, 10:48 PM
    Sounds interesting - I am going to contact him.

So that I have this right - and I've looked at the site and you can get the credentials you seem to be discussing on line - you are a LPI in Florida? Or are you an investigator for a particular department in Florida, without a LPI license?

You certainly don't need to be a LPI in order to search for people - skip tracers search for people all the time.

I'm confused about what your title is and what you do.

I have friends who are Welfare examiners or Fraud investigators for the County. The have community college degrees, on line training, but they are NOT licensed private investigators ... nor are they private investigators. Investigators, yes, but not LPI's - and I'm sure you realize PI is the same as LPI, just shorthand for the full name. There is a very big difference between being a LPI and "Trained and certified by the State Of Florida Office Of Criminal Conflict and Civil Regional Counsel in handling criminal defense investigations ... "

EDITED: I just looked at the site - are you accredited by the Institute that sponsors this program or licensed by the State (which is what this thread is about)?
    The Criminal Defense Investigator Training Counsel is a program that trains individuals to become License Private Investigators specialized in criminal defense. It also has a sponsored program with the Office Of Criminal Conflict and Regional Counsel. CDIs are granted state issued ids instead of licenses and conduct criminal defense investigations in the same way as Public Defender Investigators.

I have been trained by the CDITC and is sponsored and certified by the Office of Criminal Conflict and Regional Counsel. I carry my PI license and the state CDI issued id that represents the agency
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2012, 06:18 AM
    The Criminal Defense Investigator Training Counsel is a program that trains individuals to become License Private Investigators specialized in criminal defense. It also has a sponsored program with the Office Of Criminal Conflict and Regional Counsel. CDIs are granted state issued ids instead of licenses and conduct criminal defense investigations in the same way as Public Defender Investigators.

I have been trained by the CDITC and is sponsored and certified by the Office of Criminal Conflict and Regional Counsel. I carry my PI license and the state CDI issued id that represents the agency

Yes, that's what I thought from the beginning.

Sep 24, 2012, 07:21 AM
    Yes, that's what I thought from the beginning.
    What is your speciality ? What association are you from ?
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2012, 07:36 AM
    What is your speciality ? What association are you from ?

Liability is my specialty - liability of all kinds. I can and have done criminal (both Plaintiff and Defendant), worker's comp, disability, family court, surveillances (of all kinds, including employee theft and matrimonial), fraud. I work in three States (90% in NY) and occasionally in Canada. I worked for Homeland Security (US Customs) for a period. I've attended a ton of seminars and training classes.

I'm pretty good at figuring out the theory or theories of negligence/law when I'm assigned a case (I'm an independent, don't work for any one law firm or Attorney). I have pretty good instincts when it comes to investigations.

I prefer cold calls and interviews - very seldom do I make an appointment. I have taken statements in prison/jail.

I often work with a steno; I often work with a partner; I often work with a tape recorder. NY is a "one person" notification State when it comes to tape recorders, but I ask permission before I record anyone. What is the law in Florida?

I'm not from any association. I belong to a NYS PI Association which is also affiliated with a national association.

With a NY license you can do any type of work.

I also went to law school.

What concerns me about the type of work you do is your phrasing - "What association are you from?" I'm having trouble with the awkward language in a fast-paced investigation or statement.

How do you work?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an ex- felon be a private investigator? [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in becoming a private investigator but I have a few felonies dated back about 8 years ago, can I still be a private ivestigator?

I am looking for the last name of a famous private investigator. [ 1 Answers ]

Not a fictional character. This was in 1980s Dallas. First name Bill, he had a house with a horse in front that had a secret camera in the horse's penis.

Can an ex-con be a private investigator? [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if a ex-con like myself can be a private investigator in any U.S state?

Unprofessional conduct of a private investigator [ 3 Answers ]

I hired a private investigator in 2006 and he gave me all wrong information about the women my husband was cheating with. I gave him $3500.00 up front and all I had left he claims was $926.00 now I want all my money back for services never received. I received no photos, no videos, and he hired...

View more questions Search