Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovingmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 12:28 PM
    How do I evict adult son?
    I have been trying to help my 26 yr old adult son get his life back together. He is on 2 years probation for making a bad choice of unauthorized use of a vehicle. In other words he was stopped while driving a stolen vehicle however, he was not the person who stole it, just driving it as a favor for a friend. At any rate, he had repeatedly stolen from me and pawned things, or given them away to someone else always with some excuse. He has found personal information (financial) and made purchases online out of my banking account and check card.

I am constantly having to clean up his mess. I used to let him use my car but he began staying out all night and sometimes not coming home for days and I would have to get another family member to come and pick me up for work. After the first of the year I wrote him a letter and told him that starting Feb he had 26 weeks to get it together and move. I wanted to give him a chance to get a job and get a good start on his own.

This week I found he had changed the permissions on my AT&T account manager so that he can make 900/977/976 calls. Thursday FedEx delivered gift cards (as part of my tax return) for which he signed, and took possession. I only knew they had arrived because of an email verifying the delivery, however he refuses to own up to taking them even though I found the envelop all cut up in the trash. I have lost thousands of dollar to him since 2001 trying to help him out.

I was told by the police department that because this is his residence, he has a right to anything in the house because they can not separate ownership of property and I would have to have him legally evicted. My concern is, if it does not take effect immediately, I stand to lose everything that is not nailed down.

I am 58 years old and single. I can not afford to take off work for 30 days for a normal eviction process to take place. Is there any way to do this without me having to lose everything?
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 17, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingmom
    I have been trying to help my 26 yr old adult son get his life back together. He is on 2 years probation for making a bad choice of unauthorized use of a vehicle. In other words he was stopped while driving a stolen vehicle however, he was not the person who stole it, just driving it as a favor for a friend. At any rate, he had repeatedly stolen from me and pawned things, or given them away to someone else always with some excuse. He has found personal information (financial) and made purchases online out of my banking account and check card.

I am constantly having to clean up his mess. I used to let him use my car but he began staying out all night and sometimes not coming home for days and I would have to get another family member to come and pick me up for work. After the first of the year I wrote him a letter and told him that starting Feb he had 26 weeks to get it together and move. I wanted to give him a chance to get a job and get a good start on his own.

This week I found he had changed the permissions on my AT&T account manager so that he can make 900/977/976 calls. Thursday FedEx delivered gift cards (as part of my tax return) for which he signed, and took possession. I only knew they had arrived because of an email verifying the delivery, however he refuses to own up to taking them even though I found the envelop all cut up in the trash. I have lost thousands of dollar to him since 2001 trying to help him out.

I was told by the police department that because this is his residence, he has a right to anything in the house because they can not separate ownership of property and I would have to have him legally evicted. My concern is, if it does not take effect immediately, I stand to lose everything that is not nailed down.

I am 58 years old and single. I can not afford to take off work for 30 days for a normal eviction process to take place. Is there any way to do this without me having to lose everything?
    Cancel all of the credit cards you do not need. Call the credit reporting agencies and add a 100 word statement saying that no new credit is to be issued without your permission. Also state that no person other than yourself has permission to add credit to existing accounts. Add a telephone number so that you can be contacted. Make sure all your creditors know that you are the only name on the account.

You failed to mention whether you owned the home you are living in, or if you are a tenant. That makes a difference. If you are a tenant, please advise as to when the lease is up.

Why not pay for a month's rent at the local YMCA or a boarding house. Pack his belongings and take them over to his new apartment. Put the address and keys in an envelope with his name on it and attach it to the door of your home. Be sure to change the locks on your house. DO NOT sign a lease for a rental property for him. YMCA or week to week boarding house only. Now he has a new address, and he doesn't live with you anymore.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2007, 01:32 PM
    I would have called the police who can give him a new bed and breakfeast to live at for a while personally.

But I would just change the locks and let him figure where to stay at.

The above poster is being a lot nicer than I would be after they stole and took things out of my home
    1motelman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 06:28 AM

Hi, I'm going through a similar situation although it's with my brother. What I had to do is get a 'restraining order" which prohibits him from being on your property, your place of employment and or educational facility. I had to go to the County Clerk's office, fill out a form stating why I requested the restraing order. The judge granted the request. This removes the person from your home immediately. You can then evict if you need to. Good luck.
    paulap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 08:55 PM

You and I are in the same boat, sort of. My son 24 and his live-in girlfriend have been in our home for free for 3 months so that they could save money and get their own place. She has turned into a monster and we asked her to leave and she shouted back that because she receives mail at our house and has residency, that we would have to evict her. I called the sherrif's office and they said in FL if someone stays overnight one night they have set up residency and you may have to evict. I went to the courthouse this morning and they told me because they don't pay rent we can't evict, we must eject them. I have the packet and am going to complete it tomorrow. I want to only eject her and hopefully my son will leave too. I hate to cause a problem with him as he will need to get a place to live and I don't want the ejectment to be on his record. How should I proceed with this? There is suspicion that one or both of them is doing drugs and I hope not, selling.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Hello:

You'd think the cops would help, but they're too busy eating doughnuts. Now you too have a reason to hate the cops.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does a mom cope with an adult son? [ 6 Answers ]

Thank you for listening.

Adult son,evict from my home [ 15 Answers ]

How can I evict my 29 year old son out of my house

How to evict an adult child from home? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello - My 18 yr old son needs to figure out life on his own. High school drop out, no job or motivation. He is 6' 4'' and refusing to budge - so how do I go about legally evicting an adult child from family home? Thanks for your advice...

How to evict someone? [ 1 Answers ]

I have just go a new tenet in my rental home. We gave her the key @ the end of October even though she still owed us $250.00 for the required deposit. She eventually got it to us. Now the rent for December was due 12-03-2006. But we haven't heard a word. I sent a letter reminding her of the...

My adult son [ 35 Answers ]

My son is 42. I have always had a wonderful relationship with him, About 3 years ago he moved back to my state to start a business. I helped him I even worked for him and put my house up for his business.. He got rich and now he hates me. I never saw it coming. His phone is blocked and he will not...

View more questions Search