Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bill vargas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2004, 09:34 AM
    Central heat and air
    I'm planning on installing central heat and air in my home. My question is..
    Where does the return need to be? And what size should the ducts be from the plenum to the rest of the house?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2004, 11:15 AM
    Most central air/heat systems are set up with the supply ducts and registers on the outside of the house, and the returns near the center. How big the ducts need to be depends on how big the house is, how many registers, and how far they need to run. You can pay a professional to calculate how big you need, or maybe just go on the large size and hope for the best. My 2 story, 2000 sq. ft house has about 16'' X 20'' ducts running from the plemum. You get the most efficient air flow if the ducts reduce in size at the branches.

Unless you are a licensed AC tech, you will need some help charging the AC. I think they banned the old precharged AC components in 1996. Might not hurt to have some help with the furnace. They can test the system and make adjustments to compensate for the duct sizes. I think the best place for the furnace and A coil is the center of the house. That can complicate the venting on a retrofit. Most furnaces and modern codes require a 4'' type B vent. You may need to locate the furnace near one end to simplify venting. If you go to an expensive, highly efficient condensing furnace, venting is much easier. Read the literature that comes with the furnace and follow it carefully.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Central air [ 1 Answers ]

My air stopped being cold it still blows and is not all the way hot air, it is on auto, but won't cut off, and the thing outside is very cold. What is this

Central heat [ 1 Answers ]

The other day my central heat quit blowing hot air. I can feel cool air and the thermostat will be set at 72, but the temperature never raises higher than the temperature of the house. Does the thermostat need to be replaced or is it a wiring problem or something wrong with the actual heater? I can...

Too much condensation w/ central gas heat [ 2 Answers ]

I knew something was wrong when I came home and all my windows were fogged up. I do live in Alabama- it's been raining all day and is 41. When the gas central heat comes on it's like a sauna! What's going on?

Installing Central Heat & Air [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old, two story ranch house, with NO insulation. Currently all that warms the house is one wall heater and one (seperate) A/C. I want to install a central heat and air unit. My question is: Do I need to install the central Heat and Air PRIOR to putting in insulation? Or can...

View more questions Search