Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Donniee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2012, 09:55 PM
    It is Pre Calculus
    To measure the height of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, a person stands away from the base and measures the angle of elevation to the top of the tower to be 60 degrees. Moving 210 feet closer, the angle of elevation to the top of the tower is 70 degrees. How tall is the Eiffel Tower?
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Feb 15, 2012, 12:06 AM
    The tangent of an angle is defined as the proportion of the opposite side to the adjacent side of a right triangle containing that angle, also called opposite over adjacent. So we can find the height of the eiffel tower by taking the tangent of the angle of elevation and multiplying it by the distance from the eiffel tower. The problem here is that we don't know the distance from the eiffel tower, but since we have two different angles of elevation from two different distances, we can figure the rest out.

When the angle of elevation is 70 degrees we are feet away from the eiffel tower, so the height of the tower is feet. Similarly, when the angle of elevation is 60 degrees we are feet away from the eiffel tower, so the height of the tower is feet. Since the height of the tower doesn't change, we can set these equal to each other and solve for . Then we can just multiply by and get the height of the tower. To solve for we have:

Now that we have the distance when the elevation is 70 degrees, we just multiply by the tangent of 70 degrees, and the height of the tower is:

I hope this helps :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre-calculus [ 1 Answers ]

can anyone please help me prove the following: sin^3x cos^3x/1-2cos^2x = secx-sinx/tanx-1

Pre- Calculus [ 12 Answers ]

Given the set of letters below, you are to spell the word PASCAL by starting at the center of the rhombus and moving through the letters. Each move from center must be to the right, left, up or down (in other words, you may not move diagonally). How many ways can you find to spell the word PASCAL?...

Pre- Calculus [ 4 Answers ]

When Mattie went to college, she was assigned a password to use on the computer system. The password consisted of a series of five different digits. She was told to memorize it and not write it down. Mattie decided to invent a reminder, but all she could come up with was: (1) The sum of the...

Pre Calculus [ 3 Answers ]

I am having a lot of trouble with some summer pre-cal work I have to do. Can someone please help. The directions are: Find the domain and list in interval notation: a) 3x+1 b) 3x+1 x^2-2x c) sqrt(3x+1)

Pre-calculus [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me about pre-calculus? I am planning on taking that in high school. I heard that it really hard,but I'm up for the challenge! Can you inform me about,please?:D

View more questions Search