Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Feb 14, 2012, 02:02 PM
    Ugly green paint...
    We painted over a 1970's type wall mural thing in my sons bedroom over the weekend - I used oil-based kilz as a primer, and followed up with a coat of 'Hunters Green' (ColorPlace Satin - working on a budget!)

- The green coat of paint seemed bubbly - kind of mottled looking, after it dried the bubble look is gone, but it is still mottled looking, also, the color doesn't really look like we thought it would (really bright, heavily blue-based looking), so question is, would a second coat take care of the mottled look and possibly adjust the color? Or should I cover it again with the primer and maybe go for a different brand of paint?

- also, any chance the mural - it was like wallpaper material - is causing the bubbles and mottled look, maybe an issue with the absorption or something?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
    What material or media was used to make the mural? Its been my experience that it takes many coats or lots of sanding to avoid letting the shape/shadow of the mural from showing through to the new surface. It also sounds to me that your Walmart paint is just about worth what you paid for it. I would never take this short cut. Take your receipt and empty can back to Walmart and tell them you are very dissatisfied, should get your $14 back. Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc... much better route to take.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Feb 14, 2012, 03:18 PM
    The mural was a paper-type media, - actually, it was like poster paper - the mural went all across the wall and over the inside of the door, - it was peeling off the door, so we pulled it off, and it reminded me of a poster... as for the cheapo paint
    ($18.36 a can, cheap in the paint world, I agree, but, still! ) I needed to buy 3 cans of different color paint, we're attempting to do the old accent wall thing, and seem only to be having trouble with the green paint - the green is only on the mural wall, that's why I wondered if the mural was causing the problem... I guess I'll try to take it back, and have it credited towards a better brand, thanks for your info. One more thing - just curious (I don't mean to sound silly, don't know much about paint.. ) I intentionally bought an oil-based primer, but what is regular paint? Is it all water-based, oil-based, none of the above..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ugly, Ugly brassy roots. [ 3 Answers ]

I have been coloring my hair blonde with L'oreal Les Blondissimes LB01 for years always with great results. However, recently my rooots have been turning horribly brassy. I have not changed my haircare routine at all however I do have some grey roots so I am wondering whether that could be the...

Pharmaceutical preparation of brilliant green and crystal violet paint. [ 2 Answers ]

The role of adding crystal violet (0.5 g),Brilliant green(0.5g).alcohol(90%) in 100millilitre of water. What is the use of crystal violet and brilliant green in preparation of brilliant green paint. State the importance of adding water to the solution.

How to paint a green electric stove white [ 1 Answers ]

How to paint a green electric stove white

How do I paint an avacado green stove? [ 10 Answers ]

How do Ipaint a kitchen stove?

Green paint? [ 1 Answers ]

o.k kids lets put on our thinking caps... this had to be an old late 80's I'm thinking made for TV cartoon movie... it had 3 or 4 kids red hair maybe all siblings or 2 sibs and a friend 2 older like 12-14 and a 4 year old ish any who the little kid has to paint something or gets in to the paint...

View more questions Search