Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Irving7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2012, 06:27 PM
    Pie faced teachers
    At a fund-raiser, students pay $5 for the chance to throw a pie in the faces of their teachers. The student flips a coin twice. If the results are the same both times (two heads or two tails), the student's chosen teacher flips the same coin three times. If the teacher does not get the same results all three times, the student gets to hit the teacher in the face with a pie. However, if the student does not get the same results on both of his flips, and the teacher does get the same results on his three flips (three heads or three tails), the teacher gets to hit the student with a pie.
    1) Calculate the probability that the student gets to hit the teacher.
    2) Calculate the probability that the teacher gets to hit the student.
    3) Calculate the probability that no one gets hit.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Feb 14, 2012, 07:46 AM
    First calculate the probabilities of each coin flip scenario:

P(student's flips both the same)
    P(student's flips not both the same)
    P(teacher's flips all three the same)
    P(teacher's flips not all three the same)

Note that you really only need to calculate two of those because the other two are simple:

P(student's flips not both the same) = 1 - P(student's flips both the same)
    P(teacher's flips not all the same) = 1 - P(teacher's flips all the same)

Then your questions boil down to some compound probabilities:

P(student gets to hit teacher) = P(student's flips both the same) * P(teacher's flips not all the same)
    P(teacher gets to hit student) = P(student's flips not both the same) * P(teacher's flips all the same)

Part (c) is trivial once you know the other two probabilities:
    P(nobody gets hit) = 1 - P(somebody gets hit) = 1 - P(teacher gets to hit student) - P(student gets to hit teacher)

So ultimately this problem comes down to two different calculations:
    P(student's flips both the same)
    P(teacher's flips all three the same)

Do you know how to calculate those two probabilities?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'80's animated TV movie - dog-faced guy & cat-faced girl [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm trying to find the name of this animated movie from the early to mid 1980's. What I remember is a dog-faced guy who had long hair and wanted to be in a band. He was in love with a cat-faced girl. It was set in space or another planet. He drove a race car type space ship. Of course the music...

What do you do when you have a best friend that is like a sister and she is two faced [ 8 Answers ]

I have a best friend that is like a sister to me and she acts nice to me to my face and when she is with her other friends she says stuff that is untrue about me and my friends behind our backs and my best friends have done nothing but try to be nice to her and she just keeps insulting them and I...

2 cm dialated 70% a faced [ 9 Answers ]

OK I went to the doctor for my last appointment before I am induced on Sunday and my doctor informed us that I am 2 cm dialated, and 70 percent a faced, I was not dialated at all on my appointment Friday, I go twice a week for BPP's, so any how I was just wondering how long the progression of...

Dilemma faced by most muslims [ 2 Answers ]

Salaams Dr. Naik, I was recently asked the following the question by someone who can only be described as somebody who is brossly misguided and misinformed. Could you please help me answer these questions: "but the muslims say that the qur'an is the word of god and as the word of god is...

Lied to me, 2 faced,but still love her [ 5 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I split up just over 3 weeks ago, her reason being is she don't want a relationship and wants to be single for a while as before me she was with someone for 3 years. We were together just under a year, I no she has being going to see her mates boyfriend but I have recetly...

View more questions Search