Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kc222c Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 08:51 AM
    My children's mother let her new husband adopt my children without my consent
    I have not seen my children for almost 4 years. My ex girlfriend and I had 2 kids together and things didn't work out. We decided to go our separate ways and that it was best for the children but promised I would still see them. She allowed me to see them every now until one day she told me she was leaving and wasn't going to tell me where she was moving with her new husband. Ever since then I have been trying to track her down, I now know she is in Washington and she has stated that her new husband adopted my children without me signing any type of paperwork. So basically my kids were taking right from under me and she will not accept the gifts I get for them or even a call over the phone. Please help
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 12, 2012, 08:56 AM
    You need to find out where the adoption took place. Were you on a fathers registry? Did you file anything when she left without telling you? Did you report it as a kidnapping?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 12, 2012, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kc222c View Post
    ... I now know she is in Washington and she has stated that her new husband adopted my children without me signing any type of paperwork. ...
    There are two possibilities:
    1. She is lying to you: no adoption took place.
    2. She lied to the court by saying she did not know who you were, or how to contact you.

If I were you I would
    • immediately contact the law enforcement agency in Washington and have them investigate whether she has committed a crime such as custodial interference (child-napping); and, at the same time,
    • contact an attorney in Washington about going to court for the purpose of obtaining custody &/or setting aside any fraudulently obtained adoption decree.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 12, 2012, 09:12 AM
    They may or may not investigate depending on the timeline. From the OP's statements of sending gifts it appears the OP has had the knowlage of the whereabouts for awhile.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
    I would immediately follow AK's advice. It is possible, though, that you may have made a mistake by not doing so immediately. I would also consult an attorney to see about overturning the adoption. Usually, that is very difficult, but in this case, since it won't be a matter of taking the children away from their home, it should be possible.

Please keep us posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does my husband adopt my children [ 1 Answers ]

I do not know where the biological father of my 6 year old daughter and 2 year old son is and haven't seen or heard from him in a year and a half.my husband wants to be their legal father and my daughter and son want that more than anything in the world.how do we go about doing this?

Can I be legitamized with out consent of the mother of my children? [ 5 Answers ]

Can I be legitamized with out consent of the mother of my children? She has taking me to court I pay child support have no visitation and I'm not legitamized.

Can my husband adopt my 14 year old daughter without biological fathers consent ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been with my husband 11 years now and her biological father has not been in her life since she was 4 due to violence and abuse. My daughter wants her stepfather to adopt her and my husband is desperate to adopt her. What is the legal age in the uk for my daughter to be adopted without her...

My ex-mother in law is trying to adopt my 3 older children, but one doesn't want this [ 1 Answers ]

My 3 older children have been in the temp. custody of their grandmother for 10 years and now she wants to adopt them to claim them on her social security. My 15 year old son has recently been put on 6 months probation and wants to live with me. I am the biological mother. I have read if I try to...

Can my husband adopt our kids w/out biological father's consent? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I'm wondering if it's possible that a judge/court would terminate parental rights without the father's consent, so that my husband could adopt my two children. The biological father has not seen them in 3 1/2 years by his own choice (his family does come visit, we're only 3 hrs. away), but...

View more questions Search