Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gailygal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Shower leak out sides of bath and hall
    Our shower stall sits on a concrete slab, typical of 40 yr. old Hawaii houses. It is tiled. I have just noticed that the grout on the bath and hallway tile looks wet. The shower sits between. It is coming from the plumbing wall. The inside base has been caulked and I can't find any cracks. A friend told me these stalls are lined with some kind of felt paper that has probably cracked at the base. Is there a quick fix since we will be moving in a year and don't want to replace the entire shower.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2007, 04:32 PM
    If the liner has been ruptured or pulled away from the drain body, then there really is no quick fix that I'm aware of.
    ScottLwood Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Since it is coming from the plumbing wall have you checked the shower arm to see if it is leaking. The arm that comes out of the wall will be threaded on both ends, one is the shower head end, and the other end will be threaded into a elbow. That could be your problem. Also have you checked the plumbing lines, hot, cold, and riser pipes. You could also have a pin hole in your riser pipe. Do you have a access panel to the plumbing? If so run the shower and check for spray coming from the pipes.
    ScottLwood Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2007, 08:41 PM
    You may also want to call RE-BATH, they may be able to put a liner over the shower stall, and the walls, this may help when you go to sell your home, I hear they have a preaty good system, and warranty.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2007, 05:00 AM
    Isolate and eliminate.
    To satisfy your mind about a pan failure and avoid disclosure problems when you sell, do a pan test. Remove the strainer from the shower and get a wash rag, wet it and put it in a plastic baggy. Stuff it down the shower drain just enough to stop water from draining. Get water in a bucket from a source other than this fixture and fill the shower with at least 1 1/2" of water. Wait 30 minutes. If no water appears to be leaking the pan has not failed.
    The next test would be to fill buckets from the shower but do not let it drain. This would test the shower valve and shower riser.
    Syrell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    isolate and eliminate.
    to satisfy your mind about a pan failure and avoid disclosure problems when you sell, do a pan test. remove the strainer from the shower and get a wash rag, wet it and put it in a plastic baggy. stuff it down the shower drain just enough to stop water from draining. get water in a bucket from a source other than this fixture and fill the shower with at least 1 1/2" of water. wait 30 minutes. if no water appears to be leaking the pan has not failed.
    the next test would be to fill buckets from the shower but do not let it drain. this would test the shower valve and shower riser.
    Bravo doug238
    Excellent answer.
    Syrell

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

Leak from second floor bath tub while filling. [ 1 Answers ]

We are experiencing a leak from the second floor bathtub, but only while the water is running. I have replaced the drain in the tub and filled the tub with water. No leak. But when we start to fill the tub after a minute it starts a steady drip, drip, drip, which has saturated the ceiling...

No pressure in the bath or shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have no water pressure in the shower or tub in one bathroom. All other faucets are fine. When I pull the lever to switch to showerhead from faucet there is a sound almost like a sucking or a vacuum and the pressure does not change. Can anyone help me out ?

Help with bath/ shower on slab [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are considering installing a Sterling brand two piece tub w/ shower enclosure in our full bath. Here's why when we purchased our home last Nov.of 2005 we did not notice the last owner had altered the bathing area. What he did was remove the tub spout and had a make shift cheap...

Lukewarm bath/shower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My bath/shower has only had lukewarm water for the past couple of weeks and it is driving me crazy. The rest of the house has hot water (very hot -- I turned up the hot water heater's temperature to nearly 140 degrees) including the sink in the same bathroom as the bath/shower that only...

View more questions Search