Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brewill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2012, 12:36 PM
    Seafloor depth and sound signal
    You are on a ship and you drop a lead line to the seafloor. The line measures 3000 m. How long would it take for sound signal to leave the ship, travel to the seafloor and return back to the ship?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Feb 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
    The short answer is that sound travels at approximately 1500 m/s in water. Since it has to travel a total of 6000 m to go to the bottom and back up again, it takes a total of about 4 seconds. (i.e. distance = rate * time; just solve for time).

If you want a more accurate answer, it gets much more complicated because the velocity of sound in the ocean varies significantly as a function of depth (it's affected by temperature, pressure, and salinity). In fact, because of the way those parameters vary in the ocean, sound traveling at a shallow angle actually gets "trapped" at a depth of around 500-1000 m (called the SOFAR channel), corresponding to the region with the slowest velocity. As the sound travels close to the upper or lower limits of the SOFAR channel, it refracts back toward the middle. This is analogous to the way light is trapped within and travels along a fiber-optic cable as a result of total internal reflection. One upshot of the SOFAR channel is that submarines and deep diving whales can communicate with sonar over much longer distances than would otherwise be possible if the sound dissipated toward the sea floor and surface. Another consequence is that the formula for computing the time it would take for your signal to reach the sea floor and echo back is much more complicated than distance = rate * time!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depth of Chamber [ 0 Answers ]

Right now I am working for Re measured infrastructure project. In this we have some different type of utilities like storm water, potable water etc . The measurement is based on CESMM3 and FIDIC. My question is while taking Chamber depth what is depth criteria. I mean CESMM-3 clearly specifying...

Cable jack provides signal but no sound [ 3 Answers ]

My 3 year old LCD HDTV all of a sudden no longer has any audio. It has been about a month now. Basic set up, Just using a coaxial cable from cable jack to the TV. Have a VCR(yellow, white, red hookup) and DVD(HDMI) also attched to TV and when watching a movie from them, I have no sound. I...

Depth finders [ 0 Answers ]

I have a humminbird 525 depth finder and I'm having trouble with it not coming on. It's got power to it but the screen is blank. Just wAnted to know if anyone else knows anything about them. Thanks, Camper Girl

How cell phone transmits and receives signal and transfers them into speech signal [ 1 Answers ]

How cell phone transmits and receives signal and transfers them into speech signal

Tread depth [ 7 Answers ]

How much more than the run is the tread depth?

View more questions Search